ACN Latitudes Forums

wheat & gluten cause bloating?

patty

Thanks for all the info. I spoke with my son's doctor about the enzymes, and she told me that she doesn't think it would work for my son as an alternative to the GFCF diet.

She said that there are many people on the GFCF diet for other reasons than being intolerant to 'gluten and casein' specifically. For example, as you have mentioned the autistic children, or some who are sensitive to wheat (but not the gluten) or the lactose in dairy products (but not the casein).

For those people out there, digestive enzymes are a great alternative solution, because it is targeting their problem. In my son's case, we had a positive result for gluten and casein specifically, and in that case, digestive enzymes won't really help him out.

Oh well, it was a nice thought for a moment.

Did anyone actually have positive results with the enzymes after being tested positive as intolerant to gluten and casein - not just an IgG test for wheat or dairy, etc.? We used the stool test at enterolabs to test for his sensitivity and his numbers came back really high, so I do know that it's the gluten and casein that are his issues - not just a problem digesting wheat or lactose...

Thanks,

Evie

Evie,

The bottom line is you need to go with your doctor's advice, and with what you feel comfortable with. However, I do need to clarify something for other readers here: the peptizade enzymes are specifically targeted for people with gluten/casein intolerance--that is their main purpose-- rather than only for general wheat or milk/lactose intolerance. There are many who debate their effectiveness, but the reason that your doctor gave you shows that he/she don't fully understand the purpose of the Houston's enzymes.

FYI, our family all showed specifically 'gluten' intolerance. It is just that additionally, my son also has a wheat allergy (IgE)..this is what I feel it didn't work for.

I think you would find a higher critical mass of people to answer your question on the enzymes board. I erased the bookmark, but maybe Kim still has it...

Claire

Carolyn,

Thai Kithen makes an asian rice flat noodle. You can get it at Whole foods. Or you can get rice noodle in any Asian (Chinese) market. It comes in fine noodle, flat noodle or macaroni.

My favorite way to eat it is in soup. This is how I make the broth.

2 slices of ginger

1 choyote (cut in one inch cube for faster cooking) or broccoli

1 Tbsp of oil

Salt - seasoned to taste

1 can of Shelton's All Natural Chicken Broth ( or your favorite veg or chicken broth )

Rice noodle of choice, prepared according to the package direction (do not overcook it because it will be cooked again in the soup)

Put the 2 slices of ginger in oil in medium heat for about a minute. Put the choyote in when the oil is lightly smoking. Saute the choyote for about 2 minutes, stir it occassionally in medium high heat (the slight browning process on the vegetable adds to the flavor of the soup). Then add 1 can of chicken broth and 1/2C of water. Cooked in medium heat until the choyote is ready (about 7-10 minutes). Add the rice noodle in the broth and bring it the broil. Then season with salt to desire taste.

Optional - if you like chicken, add it along with the rice noodle in the broth and bring it to broil. It adds extra flavor to the broth. I like Shelton's chicken broth because it has a cleaner & lighter taste than most of the organic chicken broth that I have tried. The organic chicken broth tends to be thick and it does not have a clear broth quality.

Have you tried fish sauce in your cooking? It is yummo. And it is gluten-free. It is made by Thai Kitchen. I can show you how to use it if you are interested.

Let me know how you like to rice noodle. Happy cooking!

Patty

Thanks Claire and Kim for your response. I've been reading all about the enzymes today, and I printed out some articles to show to my doctor.

I hope that this may be an answer for us, although even if I were to stop his diet and try the enzymes I wouldn't really know if it is helping because I still see no major results on the diet. Could this be a better option than the GFCF diet?

Did anyone see an immediate reaction as far as a decrease in tics or an improvement in behavior soon after using these enzymes? Also, do you give them to your kids along with other supplements? My son is currently on a couple of other vitamins and probiotics as well (garlic, calcium, magnesium, zinc, acidophillus...to name a few).

Thanks,

Evie

I know that on the board Kim posted, there is a formal study posted where Autistic kids (who commonly need GFCF diets) saw substantial improvement in symptoms.

I will leave it up to others here to comment if they saw improvements. Somehow I think both Kim and Dan Q use them for their kids? If you do try it still think the thing to do would be to test wheat or milk once a week for one meal with enzymes and just see if things get worse or not.

The cool thing with enzymes is that people need them less over time. I personally found this to be true with the lactose one.

Claire