ACN Latitudes Forums

walking pneumonia and mucoplasma... how do we know?

Kimballot just wrote to me about something that I didn't know much about: walking pneumonia and mucoplasma. What are the symptoms of this in other children? Is it when they cough a lot? Is it a wet cough, a dry cough, just an ongoing cough? Wow... coughing is so common, but the ongoing cough is not.

There is this one girl in my son's class who was always coughing, and her pediatrician, Dr. Michael Lester---the radio doctor in Ontario Canada--- said that she had the 100 day cough, which he describes as a wooping cough like thing. At one point my son was constantly coughing. His pediatrician said that he was fine, but I recall in the past when she said that he was fine, just a little congested, and x-rays proved that he had pneumonia a few times. I am reluctant to have millions of x-rays, but I guess that my son should have them whenever he presents with an ongoing cough.

In a different thread, someone talked about asking the friend's dad if his son had been tested for mucoplasma, and the dad did not know. I had never heard of that either. I think that I will be recommending to parents whose children cough a lot to get them checked out for mucoplasma. What kind of test is it? Is is a blood test? Do the results come back quickly?

How do we prevent our children from catching this from others?