ACN Latitudes Forums

Taking Inositol for OCD

I just started taking Inositol for OCD. I am very excited about this. I was taking Zoloft and it made me feel like a zombie and I was always tired. I would just like to know how much you would suggest to take? Does it make you really tired? And it is kinda expensive is there a somewhere that I can get this cheap? Any other helpful tips would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Hi Danny

I moved your post to the OCD forum as I don't think? you were referring to OCD as related to PANDAS/PANS right?

Inositol has a good track record and very few people appear to have side effects provided they do not take the very high doses for too long. It does not have the fatigued zombie etc side effects that those SSRI's like zoloft give

500 mg/day is considered a "maintenance" dose by some, but for intense OCD, adults can take up to 14 grams a day, but only very short term........ and then should go back down to around a gram a day...at least that is what we were told.

We found it least expensive at iherb.com, and buying the powder rather than the capsules

I just started taking Inositol for OCD. I am very excited about this. I was taking Zoloft and it made me feel like a zombie and I was always tired. I would just like to know how much you would suggest to take? Does it make you really tired? And it is kinda expensive is there a somewhere that I can get this cheap? Any other helpful tips would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

My ds15 (adut sized) takes 1,000 mg per day. He was taking 1500 but we cut back recently. He takes capsules - not overly expensive on amazon - $21 for 300 capsules. We do "subscribe and save" for even more savings.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G7R5GI/ref=rcxsubs_mys2_product_title

I do know that you need to build up slowly and cut back slowly if you decide to go off. Don't just stop cold turkey if you decide you don't want to do inositol anymore.

Have not noticed that he feels tired with it. Inositol is actually in many energy drinks and I know athletes take it as a supplement often as well for energy.

My ds15 (adut sized) takes 1,000 mg per day. He was taking 1500 but we cut back recently. He takes capsules - not overly expensive on amazon - $21 for 300 capsules. We do "subscribe and save" for even more savings.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G7R5GI/ref=rcxsubs_mys2_product_title

I do know that you need to build up slowly and cut back slowly if you decide to go off. Don't just stop cold turkey if you decide you don't want to do inositol anymore.

Have not noticed that he feels tired with it. Inositol is actually in many energy drinks and I know athletes take it as a supplement often as well for energy.

Is this helping with the ocd? My son 23 takes prozac, 10 mg but we are going to up to 20mg which is what he was on until 12/20/2012. I would love to get him off ssris but seems he is worse with the ocd since we dropped from 20mg to 10mg.