ACN Latitudes Forums

Strep in the Gut......

When we got my dd results back this week one of the things that was brought up was that she had 4+ Gamma Haemolytic Stretococcus in her gut. The NP that went over the results said "obviously we would prefer that be zero." Then she kept going. She didn't linger or discuss its significance and it didn't sink in because we started talking about other things.

So my question to you all is how many have had experience with this? Is it significant since it is Gamma Haemolytic Strep and not Beta Hemolytic Strep? Do you treat it different in the gut? My daughter doesn't take oral meds so her antibiotics have been Bicillin injection. Although the rest of her stool studies didn't look too bad. She did show some yeast, but her absorption & distribution was good. So the strep was the biggest thing GI speaking. I'm wondering if that and the yeast could be the cause for all of her stomach complaints?

Any thoughts or suggestions?????

Edited by Dedee

Hi,

This sounds like Biomed/DAN territory. I'm no expert on this...and have no clue as to the type of strep nor the meaning of 4+ (is that high or low?) so can only share that ds had strep overgrowth in his gut and E-coli undergrowth (dysbiosis), which created a raft of problems. Did your NP prescribe an antibacterial treatment and/or a probiotic?

Deedee,

We had the same 4+ for Gamma Strep about 4 years ago.The doc didn't say much about it. On other occasions when we did stool tests it didn't show. This was with our former Dan dr.

We just recently switched to a new DAN dr. When we were in our first consult I told him about DS having rectal strep when he was five. He said, "definitely strep in the gut, it came right through his body."

DS has not had a stool test for a while now and I don't see any specific treatment we did for this in my notes other than the bio-film protocol which we did on and off.

DS had HD IVIG with Dr K back in June. He was great for two weeks and then relapsed. He just had a lower dose/.80 kg on Tuesday and had very very minimal side effects. :)

We will be continuing on an every 28 day IVIG regimen and slowly increase to 1.5 kg.

I don't know much about it, but I've been reading about the Usman biofilm protocol. Bacteria and viruses in the gut create a protective coating which shields them from antibiotics and other 'enemies' so they are essentially 'hidden' but still free to do their damage. Take a look -- it seems like a very intensive process, but potentially very effective for what you are describing.

my understanding is that gamma hemolytic (also called non-hemolytic) strep is the enterococcus species that is commensal and naturally occurring in the gut. It is not really pathogenic but if overgrowth can create imbalance, as can any normal flora - even lacto and bifido - if overgrowth. that is because all bacteria or living things secrete waste products and contribute to their environment. if too much of one thing, even those normally found waste products can still be too much and disrupt the balance of the system. does that help?