ACN Latitudes Forums

magnesium-rich supplement protocol taught by CPhA

Guest Bonnie Grimaldi

Guest Bonnie Grimaldi

Dear Jennifer,

Hair analysis is used extensively as you said, in spite of its unreliability as reported in the article below. The laboratory that you mention is not listed as a CAP certified lab...

JAMA. 2001 Jan 3;285(1):67-72.

Comment in:

JAMA. 2001 Jan 3;285(1):83-5.

JAMA. 2001 Mar 28;285(12):1576-7; discussion 1577-8.

JAMA. 2001 Mar 28;285(12):1577; discussion 1577-8.

Assessment of commercial laboratories performing hair mineral analysis.

Seidel S, Kreutzer R, Smith D, McNeel S, Gilliss D.

California Department of Health Services, Environmental Health Investigations Branch, 1515 Clay St, Suite 1700, Oakland, CA 94612, USA. sseidel@dhs.ca.gov

CONTEXT: Hair mineral analysis is being used by health care practitioners and promoted by laboratories as a clinical assessment tool and to identify toxic exposures, despite a 1985 study that found poor reliability for this test. OBJECTIVE: To assess whether the reliability of data from commercial laboratories advertising multimineral hair analyses for nutritional or toxicity assessment has improved since the 1985 study. DESIGN, SETTING, AND PARTICIPANTS: A split hair sample taken from near the scalp of a single healthy volunteer was submitted for analysis to 6 commercial US laboratories, which analyze 90% of samples submitted for mineral analysis in the United States. MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES: Agreement of test results for each analyte, laboratory reference ranges, laboratory characteristics, and interpretation of health implications. RESULTS: Laboratory differences in highest and lowest reported mineral concentrations for the split sample exceeded 10-fold for 12 minerals, and statistically significant (P<.05) extreme values were reported for 14 of the 31 minerals that were analyzed by 3 or more laboratories. Variations also were found in laboratory sample preparation methods and calibration standards. Laboratory designations of normal reference ranges varied greatly, resulting in conflicting classifications (high, normal, or low) of nearly all analyzed minerals. Laboratories also provided conflicting dietary and nutritional supplement recommendations based on their results. CONCLUSIONS: Hair mineral analysis from these laboratories was unreliable, and we recommend that health care practitioners refrain from using such analyses to assess individual nutritional status or suspected environmental exposures. Problems with the regulation and certification of these laboratories also should be addressed.

Publication Types:

Validation Studies

PMID: 11150111 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Warm regards,

Bonnie Grimaldi

http://bonniegr.com

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jennifer

Dear Bonnie,

After reading your post I called Doctor's Data to inquire if they were a CAP certified Lab. The representative assured me that they were. At the time of our sons hair analysis we also did a vitamin ,amino acid, mineral blood test. The latter test was done through a different lab. When the tests came back the results of the hair analysis did not conflict with the blood test. Some of the same things tested for showed the same low results. After four months of treating him for heavy metal toxicity (we did not use any standard chelating drugs) he was retested and the levels were much lower than they had been. No test results, blood nor hair, are ever 100%- there is always a margin for error. I know that Dr. McCandless personally uses Doctor's Data for hair screening. I agree that it is not 100% absolute, but it gives you a non-invasive place to start .

Sincerely,

Jennifer

Guest BonnieGrimaldi

Dear Jennifer,

Hair analysis can be meaningful if more than one CAP laboratory evaluates a split sample of the same specimen and the results agree, according to the JAMA recently published article that I posted. I agree with this and believe that I have a credible opinion since the clinical laboratory is my area of expertise.

I plugged in the address of the lab that you mentioned into this search for CAP labs and it didn't show up: http://www.cap.org/labs/lp/lapsearch.cfm so it would be interesting to find out why ...

Non-invasive tests are great if CAP labs are used. But if hair analysis is used, other tests that are considered reliable should be also used to make a diagnostic or treatment decision, in my opinion. Hair analysis alone can be a waste of money, unreliable and misleading in my humble opinion.

No lab tests are perfectly accurate all the time that is for sure - even by the best CAP certified labs- since errors do happen. That is the reason for the absolute necessity of CAP certification of a laboratory- to minimize the errors and to maximize the reliability of testing and recommendations based on these results. Not all physicians are aware of this, which is why there are many uncertified labs who are up and running. The consumer should beware and notify their physicians when they believe a lab is not CAP certified that they are using. Good physicians must be able to rely on the results of lab tests in order to be effective in helping their patients...

Warm regards,

Bonnie Grimaldi

Guest Guest_Linda

Dear Bonnie~

My 8 yr. old son was recently diagnosed with Tourettes. I am glad that the Dr. didn't recommend medication at this time, however I want to be proactive in treating his tics. Where do I start? Should we contact a Dietitian or Nutritionist, and how do I know if they're legitimate? What tests are recommended? He has a hard time falling asleep and is a very light sleeper, is that common among those with Tourettes or do I need to look at that as a separate issue? Any suggestions?

Sincerely,

Linda

Guest Bonnie Grimaldi

Dear Linda,

What I recommend is since you have an official diagnosis of TS, you can take the printout of the CPhA link that outlines a magnesium-rich supplement protocol as an alternative treatment for TS to your family physician. Discuss using either ts-PLUS CONTROL TM and ts-PLUS EPA/DHA TM or the individual supplements listed on their ingredient brochures: http://bonniegr.com/products.htm with the physician as far as overall health status and safety goes.

Often sleep is helped by the high content of cal/mag in this experimental supplement protocol according to anecdotal reports.

Warm regards,

Bonnie Grimaldi

• 1 year later...

Hi Bonnie, I looked at the study you quoted about magnesium deficiency and it said the the kynurenine led the excitatory response by allowing calcium to enter the cellsr. I have been giving my son Taurine+B6 and a calcum/magnesium supplement. Is the calcium contraindicated? I do see calcim in your formula. Please advise. Thanks, Beth R.