ACN Latitudes Forums

No-fenol enzyme

Claire

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting Caz. I like the fact that more than one company is following this route--it gives it some credibility, if you know what I mean.

I asked our DAN doctor about the no-fenol today. He hadn't heard of it, but he knew of Dr. Houston and his history and said he was comfortable with our trying it. He even thought the carb/fat enzyme was worth trying out. He said he saw no harm from enzymes.

He said that the enzymes in general do often help children--possibly for reasons we don't fully understand yet. I will still wait til we do the other for 2 weeks.

Claire

Kirkman Labs have some excellent products....very specific nutrients put together into their supplements. I am travelling 2 hours to buy some of their vitamins next week because they have a multi-vitamin with no copper and no Vitamin A and D. My son is getting the Vitamin D in a Calcium/Magnesium combo and I don't want to overdo the Vitamin D.

Heather

I am still waiting to hear back from Houston Nutr. with a number of questions. I called today and they said Dr. Houston would be the one calling back.

They did confirm only plant enzymes used though.

YEAST

Interestingly they said that based on customer feedback--the no-fenol enzyme seemed to help with yeast, (not the other one). Even so, she said I need to hear this from Dr. Houston directly--so I will modify this post if needed.

Interesting thought re the phenol ....I have commented before that Ausclare and Caz' Failsafe salicylate/amine list overlapped a lot with the candidias/yeast diet restrictions. (no cheese, chocolate, pears are the only fruit....). So something that helped with those could definitely be a factor with yeast.

She also said the carb/fat enzymes help with digestion of carrots and corn. I have a problem with carrots which I love--they give me bad stomach aches, so I can definitely test this directly.

Also, I haven't have milk products in almost 6 months since the elisaact test. Well Tuesday I had a frozen yogurt and got bad indigestion. Yesterday I had an icecream and took the AFP peptizide enzyme (sp) and had no reaction at all.

Still anecdotal, but I will do lots of testing like this and let you know.

Ah yes, for the yeast, in addition to the Threelac Heather mentioned, I am doing the 'oxygenated water' with it, that she also said she used. Little drops you put into your water.

Claire

I just spoke with Dr. Houston for a long time. I told him I would post the info here, and he said to make sure that I don't quote him making actual claims, given the FDA regulation. So if I unintentionally words things on those lines, note that he is not responsible. :D

My notes...I know no more than this!

GENERAL

Confirmed all are plant based, even the capsules. Plants have the best enzymes. Enzymes has fungal mechanisms. Like good and bad bacteries, there are good fungus and bad fungus. Aspergillus is good. No fungal matter in these enzymes, they are filtered out.

---NO-FENOL---

Go to Pubmed.com xylanase + phenolic You get papers for textile industry--artificial dyes and colors as poisons in water systems, so they are using Enzymes from same fungal organism as no-fenol. They Break down these complex artificial dyes and colors which are somewhat phenolic. Some undocumented enzyme in no-fenol that is likely working at artificial colors. Informal feedback is that no-fenol helps with artificial additives.

This enzyme doesn't break down the phenolic group period, as phenol is an end product. But those same compounds with phenol d have sugar groups attached. His hypothesis is that the no-feno enzymes may remove the sugar groups from

Methlyation --how would enzymes affect methylation.? There is not direct effect. However, possibly breaking down foods with the enzymes may make Amino acids more readiliy available for methylation.

He says amines are not phenolic, as they have NH2, vs phenol's ring structure. But maybe they've been glycosolated. This is a tag. and thus the enzymes may help.

On yeast, he says they can make a better story cuz the cellulase enzyme in no-phenol breaks down celloluse. The yeast coat is cellulose and is hard to break down. The enzyme theoretically would help to compromises the yeast cell. Then, if taken with an anti-fungal such as Nystatin, you could kill the yeast better. Anecdotal feedback from people that no-fenol cause some yeast die-off symptoms, and later testing showed reduced yeast. For yeast treatment, maybe 1/2 cap 2x/day--dosing is imprecise with enzymes. Otherwise no-fenol is taking only when they eat the offending foods. Toxins flush to kidneys/stool.

---ZYNE PRIME enzyme for Carbs and starches---

DesignPrime starches/food, enzymes for carbs, inflammation in GI track. Cell damage, and enzymes in cells. Lactose pulls in water to the gut. But sucrose isn't converted readily to glucose. ZynePrime firms up stools.. Insulin spike follows the Glucose spike. Enzyme seems to be a modulatory effect on glucose. Time release--more gradual better for pancreas. Anecdotal feedback on autistic kids to cut back on insulin. Also, if not broken down, the complex sugars provide more food for the yeast. At each meal.

---Peptizade for proteins, eg gluten and casein---

Should help with Egg protein also.

Success rate: Instruction is not to order more if no benefit after 1-2 months. The reorder rate is 70-75%. Majority keep some diet comfortable with infractions. About 30% that abandon restricted gluten/casein diet entirely. More for IgG intolerances than IgE.

Claire

Thanks for that Claire.

Did he give you his success rate for no-phenol. I guess I would be more interested in the fruit/vegie angle than the additives angle. I know there are anacdotal accounts on his website, wondered if he spoke to you about that.

Can people on the fiengold diet take no fenol, and then be able to eat these fruits/vegies again. Did he talk about salycilates?

Caz

Hi Caz,

He didn't give me me info that I didn't post, but he did say that he did a study where he sent ONE enzyme to the people with issues with the fruits and vegies and that the xylonate enzyme came back head and shoulders above. It was unexpected and dealt with fibers. Again, he said Phenol is an end group so that enzymes don't have much to do with it directly. Xylonate is now in no-fenol. He does think it helps, but didn't give %ages.

Claire

Caz,

Check this out from Kirkman labs--reasonable explanation of the enzyme for phenols/salicylates --"A salicylate is a type of phenolic compound."

Phenol Assist

Product Class: Enzymes

Phenol Assist Capsules 90 ct. $25.00 835/90

Description

Phenols are compounds with a specific chemical structure (an aromatic ring plus a hydroxyl group) that are found in fruits, vegetables, some grains and nuts, flavorings and spices. A salicylate is a type of phenolic compound. Phenols and polyphenols have anti-oxidant qualities and protective functions which make some of them beneficial and desirable to consume for most individuals.

An important chemical process that occurs in body tissues is called sulfation. Sulfation is the movement of sulfate (sulfur plus oxygen) ions from one body tissue to another. Sulfating molecules change that molecule's character and behavior and how they act in the body. Connective tissue is sulfated for structural reasons and neuron tissue is sulfated to provide a protective sheath. Sulfation also causes molecules to vary in activity, solubility, and mobility. For the body to work properly, these sulfation processes must occur as they are required.

So what is the relationship between phenolic compounds and sulfation? Phenols and salicylates use up a lot of sulfate in the body in order to be broken down. In other words, the phenols and salicylates compete for the body's sulfate stores. In certain individuals, breaking down phenolic compounds can provide a benefit by supporting the sulfation mechanism.

Phenol Assist is an enzyme product designed to help digest part of the cell wall structure of plant cells, the structure of fruits, vegetables and grains. Doing so opens the cell and allows the process of phenol digestion to begin. When you slice open an apple or a pear and let it sit out for a while, you will notice a browning of the tissue occurring. That browning process is the result of the natural enzyme present in fruits, "phenolase," oxidizing the fruit tissue. This process cannot occur until the cell wall is broken and oxygen gets into the cells. Phenol Assist gets this process going and therefore supports sulfation by reducing the phenolic load on the body's sulfation capacity.

Phenol Assist contains a variety of enzymes to accomplish the cell wall digestion, and other enzymes to assist in the total digestion of fruits, vegetables, grains, and spices. Below is a brief description of the enzymes present:

Xylanase makes grains, fruits and vegetables that utilize xylose in their structure more digestible by breaking some of the xylan bonds.

CeraCalaseâ„¢ is a proprietary blend of the National Enzyme Company which aids the breakdown of plant and fruit structures. Cellulase which helps digest the cellulose fibers surrounding plant cells. Beta-Glucanase is an enzyme which breaks down glucan structures in fruits and grains. Phytase breaks organic-phosphate bonds which helps destroy phytins and phytic acid thereby insuring that important minerals are not complexed and transported unused out of the body.

Alpha Amylase is an enzyme which helps digest starches and complex sugars present in plants.

Glucoamylase aids digestion of polysaccharides and polymeric chains of glucose.

Alpha-Galactosidase hydrolyzes bonds that hold galactose thereby freeing the galactose for its enzyme stimulating function involving DPPIV.

Suggested Use: One capsule with meals consisting of phenol containing foods.

Start with ¼ to ½ capsule and gradually increase this dose to the amount that provides optimal digestion of foods.

The dose can be adjusted according to the specific needs of the individual. With small meals or snacks smaller doses may be sufficient to provide adequate digestion of these foods. Avoid mixing with food or beverages that will be heated above 130° F, as the activity of the enzymes will be adversely affected.

Directions For Use

It is generally recommended that enzyme supplements be taken at the beginning or early on in the meal to assure appropriate digestion. The capsules may be swallowed whole or opened and mixed with food or drink. It is recommended that Phenol Assist be used in conjuction with Kirkman's Phenol Assist Companion. See the individual write-up for that product under enzyme products for details.

http://www.kirkmanlabs.com/products/enzyme...enol_bp835.html

A chart outlining phenolic and salicylate content of foods follows:

VERY HIGH

Apricots

Berries and Cherries

Orange and Tangerine

Pineapple

Red grapes

Tomatoes

Peppers

Mint

Anise (licorice)

Olives

Dill

HIGH TO MODERATE

Apples

Grapefruit

Peach and mangos

Watermelon

Broccoli and spinach

Carrots

Lettuce and chinese vegetables (except iceberg/low)

Most nuts and seeds

Onion

LOW TO NEGLIGIBLE

Bananas

Pears

Cabbage

Celery

Potatoes

Fats and Oils

Sugars

Soy Milk

• 1 year later...

Giselle,

I'm still following your thread on Braintalk.

Might this help, or have you read these already?

http://www.enzymestuff.com/discussionsafety.htm

http://www.enzymestuff.com/discussionsafety.htm

Safety evaluation of amino peptidase enzyme preparation derived from Aspergillus niger.

Coenen TM, Aughton P. Food Chem Toxicol. 1998 Sep-Oct;36(9-10):781-9. PMID: 9737425

An amino peptidase enzyme preparation obtained from Aspergillus niger was subjected to a series of toxicological tests to document the safety for use as a processing aid for food. The enzyme preparation was examined for subacute and subchronic oral toxicity, and mutagenic potential. No evidence of oral toxicity or mutagenicity was found. Administration of the amino peptidase enzyme preparation at doses of 500, 1000 and 2000 mg/kg body weight/day for 90 days did not induce noticeable signs of toxicity. The no-observed-adverse-effect level (NOAEL) of the enzyme preparation in the subchronic toxicity study was 2000mg/kg body weight/day (equivalent to 1152 PHEA units/kg body weight/day). It can be concluded that no safety concerns were identified in the studies conducted with this amino peptidase enzyme preparation derived from Aspergillus niger and produced under controlled fermentation conditions.