ACN Latitudes Forums

probiotics

bmom

I was just wondering what you PANDAS moms do about probiotics? Are your kids fine on them? I thought before that my son did not do well on them, but he is on daily antibiotics so I am afraid to not give them to him. I am going to try them again, but I was wondering what you do if your child reacts. He is on daily Amox. Would Amox be one that causes yeast or is it mild? He has been having major allergy problems and I was wondering if that was because he was getting yeast and if I should start the probiotics again. Thanks all.

Hi, me again! :)

I was having the same probiotic concerns...giving them and then thinking I saw an increase of symptoms, but, I was never 100% sure. I have started them again per doc's orders...I do feel better giving them...so far, this time around, I haven't noticed an increase of anything as of yet. I do know sometimes the increase is just temporary and to just stick it out...I am going to do that, but, so far, so good. However, I am well aware of the PANDAS moms who have children that react poorly to the probiotics...you'll just have to give it a try. Also..what is your child allergic too? My son is allergic to many fall pollens as well as mold....if your son is allergic to pollen...it may just be the increase is due to the fall pollens being in full force...well, they are around here anyway. Also, when PANDAS kids are "waxing", even with a mild increase due to any kind of exposure to any illness, their immune systems are in overdrive and you could very likely see an increase of allergic symptoms...allergies are an immune response as well. When my kids have an increase...they both get excema, which disappears when the other symptoms disappear. Just some thoughts and my experience. Oh, I was reading on Amox. the other day...some sites say broad spectrum and some say moderate spectrum...either way, ANY antibiotic has the potential to alter gut flora. How much does your son take?

Hi,

We have not started probiotics, but I did request nystatin which my doctor gladly gave to us. She gets really irritable on the anti's without the nystatin. I see an increase in irritability even if I give it to her too late in the morning.

I am going to the vitamin store today. Any ideas on great probiotics? I think I will look for S. Bouldi (spelling ????) only.

I use MegaFlora for my daughter. She is also on nystatin. I do also use S. Boulardii occaisionally (but only because the nystatin kills s. boulardii, which is a yeast). I use the boulardii when she seems to be getting yeasty (hyperactivity w/ weepy episodes) and it seems to increase irritability- but I' not sure if that's yeast die off or a reaction to the boulardii. The irritability seems to be replaced by calm in about 48 hrs. Also, I've been unable to find S. boulardii in any stores locally- I order from Kirkmans.

My daughter takes Trader Joe's brand of probiotic "Acidophilus & Probiotic Complex". We didn't start them until about 10 days after we put her on Azithromycin in June (and she was already feeling better). It doesn't seem to affect her adversely. The bottle says take 2/day. I only give her 1/day but she is small...about 50 pounds.

I've also started to give her 1/2 chlortrimaton (antihistamine) 1x daily. This isn't on a regular basis...when we think of it. She went through a period in June were she had stuffy nose/ nosebleeds. She also has exercise urticaria (she gets itchy legs when she runs) which she inherited from me and the antihistamine helps with that.

He is on 600 mg a day. He is allergic to many pollens and trees. He also just started football so this could cause his allergy reaction. I just feel better if I can get him on probiotics. I am so nervous to rock the boat though. I emptied some of my mailbox Kelly. Did Dr. K say which probiotics to use? Thanks.

He said just to find a good quality probiotic with 4 strains of Lacto. in it....the kind that needs refrigeration.

I already have quite a bit of Culturelle on hand, which is Lacto., but not 4 strains. The stuff isn't cheap, so, I will use that until gone and then find something else. He said that would be fine.

My kids take one 250 mg of Augmentin in the morning.........which is basically Amoxicillin with an acid added to assit in killing any bacterial strains that may have become resistant to regular Amox. I am interested in knowing how the Zith works...keep me posted!

My kids seem to be doing better on the Augmentin, I am not seeing much of anything the past couple days.......Doc says Penicillin doesn't work when taken orally..it doesn't get absorbed...I had read that also, seems that in order for Penicillin to be an effective prophylaxis, you need to get the Bicillin injections.

I've given my son probiotics for a while now, about year and half. We use Klaire Labs, they are refridgerated, and I like them because they have a couple kinds and are 5-10 billion of the different strains. (about $20 for 90 capsules) I have not connected them to any increase in tics, I think they are fine for him.

Faith

• 1 year later...
He said just to find a good quality probiotic with 4 strains of Lacto. in it....the kind that needs refrigeration.

I already have quite a bit of Culturelle on hand, which is Lacto., but not 4 strains. The stuff isn't cheap, so, I will use that until gone and then find something else. He said that would be fine.

My kids take one 250 mg of Augmentin in the morning.........which is basically Amoxicillin with an acid added to assit in killing any bacterial strains that may have become resistant to regular Amox. I am interested in knowing how the Zith works...keep me posted!

My kids seem to be doing better on the Augmentin, I am not seeing much of anything the past couple days.......Doc says Penicillin doesn't work when taken orally..it doesn't get absorbed...I had read that also, seems that in order for Penicillin to be an effective prophylaxis, you need to get the Bicillin injections.

Did Dr. K tell you this about Penicillin??? We just started started taking Pencillin VK twice a day.

Another option for probiotics: there is a juice (available at whole foods in quart or little expensive individual 4 packs) called Good Belly. They have different flavors...Mango, blueberry, watermelon, etc. It has lactobacillus plantatum299v and bifidobacterium lactis . 8oz is supposed to have over 20 billion live cultures.

http://www.goodbelly.com/

I give my son Nystatin as well as Lacto-Tri Blend (we get it from our DAN doc) and Primal Defense (from Whole Foods). He is also on a low sugar diet (no sweets, juice, flavored yogurt, graham crackers, sugary cereal, dried fruit, etc). When we have a birthday celebration coming up, I bake him something using Xylosweet, which is a natural sweetener you can find in the Supplement section of Whole Foods. You can use it in a one to one ratio for sugar when you bake.

We were doing most of this before PANDAS and constant antibiotics, but have since added the Primal Defense and an extra Lacto-Tri Blend at night.

By the way, I'm not sure, but I think when you first start probiotics the behavior problems you see might be from yeast die-off. We've seen this when my son has cheated on his low-sugar diet. Once we get him back on track, things get worse before they get better.