ACN Latitudes Forums

Epsom Bath vs. Magnesium Supplement

patty

Just wondering if the oral magnesium supplement is sufficient enough to eliminate the daily epsom bath?

My son has been taking a daily Epsom Bath for the last 3 months and notice that it does reduce symptoms when he is waxing (taking a bath 2X a day). I have finally decided to add magnesium (Natural Calm for kids) 3 days ago. I am wondering if the oral application of magnesium has the SAME beneficial effect as the topical one (thru skin)?

It would be nice to be able to take a short bath instead of the usual 20-30 minute bath.

Patty

Patty

the Epsom Salts bath and the oral intake of magnesium are different IMO

the amount of magnesium absorbed thru the skin during the bath does not equate to the amount taken orally and absorbed intestinally into the bloodstream

my son takes his daily magnesium supp (balanced always with 2xCalcium ) and takes the epsom salt bath when he needs it...either for aching muscles or to relax, or if tics are in wax mode

if he skips a bath, or doesnt take one for a while, that is ok but if he skips his supp for more than one day, we see an increase in tics

I am don't know much about tics but I do know that some people find that epsom salts works better for them than some other forms of magnesium.

I have read that epsom salts provides the magnesium and the right form of sulfur that some people need. Magnesium sulfate means it is sulfur in the sulfate form. The body needs to convert other forms of sulfur like sulfites (added to french fries, salads, wine, etc.) into sulfates. Only sulfates can be excreted by excreted by the body and that means sometimes the sulfites can build up to levels that can cause problems at some point. This process of converting sulfites into sulfates is called sulfation. Some people have a problem with sulfation and some people can have a problem absorbing the sulfur in some forms in their GI tract for some reason. That is why the epsom salts applied topically or in bath form can be useful, because the GI tract may not take up as much of that sulfur as the skin seems to be able to do.

There are other products that may work like epson salts but are easier than the baths. Karen DeFelice in her book Enzymes for Autism suggests making some epsom salt solution (with water by just heating it to dissolve the salts) and either applying to the skin like that or in a hand cream or something. During the warmer months you can use a spray bottle, for example, to apply the solution to the skin and just let it evaporate.

There are other products too like magnesium oil. But DeFelice says the magnesium oxide oil which may be better absorbed in terms of the magnesium can leave an oily film on the skin. But there may be ways to use epsom salts without just soaking in the bathtub.

Also consider the importance that sulfur may be for your child. Usually a high histamine type is deficient in sulfur because of sulfation. You might talk to your doctor about his sulfur supplements if the epsom salts is not practical. Histadelics need to take methionine the main sulfur containing amino acid. But taurine is also a sulfur amino acid too so if your son is getting enough taurine he may be fine with his sulfur needs.

Sometimes when you change one supplement it can require you to adjust other supplements because they all work together.

But epsom salts is not just magnesium but also provides sulfur which is important to some people.

good point ortho.....the hot springs that are so very theraputic are also sulfur containing so it makes sense that the sulfate in the epsom salts would also be therapy here

re magnesium oxide....from what I have understood...mag oxide is the poorest absorbed form of magnesium intestinally....is this different for dermal absorption as per your post??

Karen DeFelice in her book Enzymes for Autism suggests making some epsom salt solution (with water by just heating it to dissolve the salts) and either applying to the skin like that or in a hand cream or something. During the warmer months you can use a spray bottle, for example, to apply the solution to the skin and just let it evaporate.

There are other products too like magnesium oil. But DeFelice says the magnesium oxide oil which may be better absorbed in terms of the magnesium can leave an oily film on the skin.

Yes, you may be right about magnesium oxide absorption through the GI tract. The thing is that it is put into a product, an oil, for some reason. (Perhaps because topically it avoids the GI issues.)

But I was under the impression that the oxide form somehow lasts in your body longer than the magnesium sulfate form. So if you could soak in epsom salts one day and then the next day soak in some magnesium oxide, I think the effect from the magnesium oxide would be more sustained. It may be some website claim I am remember or it might be some legit claim. But I have heard that magnesium oxide effect is supposed to last longer than magnesium sulfate.

But the magnesium oxide form applied to the skin may have some benefits it is just that the oil is not something most people like having on their skin. I think she (DeFelice) said it leaves a tacky feel. But DeFelice does address this issue of recommending other ways to use epsom salts besides just soaking in it. You can find ways of mixing it in a hand cream or just make a spray for the summer time. Or try (oral) supplements that contain the magnesium and the sulfur if the sulfur is needed.