ACN Latitudes Forums

NAC for detox? or glutathione?

DS is currently taking 500mg a day of NAC for liver support and detox help, as it is a precursor to glutathione. I'm wondering if we should try glutathione (liposomal? suppositories?) instead as he needs detox help. Anyone using either and finding it makes a difference? positive or negative What brand of glutathione is best? thanks!

We just received Spectracell results and learned that dd's glutathione levels were completely tanked. Her Pans doctor said she was one of 3 patients with the lowest glutathione levels he's ever had tested. Antioxidant function/Spectrox deficient overall. Just started S-Acetyl Glutathione, today was day 4. We have never tried NAC so I don't really know anything about it-- and am just learning about glutathione as well. Why were you trying NAC, and why are you considering glutathione? I am jus curious! From the little information I've read so far, it sounds like glutathione is the "mother of all antioxidants", however, it also sounds like the general consensus is that glutathione supplementation is difficult because the absorption is depleted by digestive processes. I'm very interested in any information anyone can provide! I'll follow up and update later on too.... Not sure what to expect, or what time frame to expect either, but am very hopeful that this is a missing puzzle piece that's been discovered! :)

We're using NAC for detox, because the body makes glutathione from NAC and as you know, it's the 'mother of all antioxidants'. ND believes DS has a lot of trouble detoxing. NAC is good, but glutathione is better, but oral glutathione is broken down (?) in the digestive tract and doesn't make it into the blood stream, so there's really no point in taking it orally. IV is best, but he'd have to do it regularly and we're paying out of pocket, so expensive. Another way is glutathione suppositories, so it bypasses the digestive tract and gets absorbed into the blood through the rectum. It's sounds so unpleasant but I don't know what other options we have if the NAC doesn't work. :P Although the S-Acetyl Glutathione you're using, from Xymogen? sounds pretty good. Is it having any effect yet?

You can get glutathione sublingual, that should bypass the intestinal tract. I have not given my son glutathione supplements and I can't say what it was when he got sick. We started working on his MTHFR mutations almost three years ago. His glutathione was tested earlier this year, for the first time. It was really high. When we got lazy this summer and didn't give the supplements every single day, it fell. Still high past range but it did fall. He does not take NAC. He takes two forms of B12, folinic acid,taurine, L-tyrosine, P5P, GABA, L-theanine. 5-HTP

We supplemented liposomal glutathione throughout abx treatment, but after DD started doing better overall and holding her own with herbals, Buhner's associate suggested we switch to the precursors: NAC, L-glutamine and glycine (from GreatLakesGelatin)..

As with most normally endogenously produced substances, once you start supplementing the body assumes there is plenty available and slows natural production. Probably why your ND wants to help your DS produce more and not simply supplement.

Assuming your DS is capable of natural production of glutathione, I would follow your ND's recommendation and go that route first.

http://mthfrliving.com/health-conditions/glutathione/

Some PANS/PANDAS children have trouble with NAC supplementation.

Edited by rowingmom

My son became very angry on NAC, we abandoned it and he returned to his sweet self. I made a direct relationship to the medication. Anger is not something we had issues with before or since stopping it. Only a short trial but not a beneficial result.

I literally just spread on my sons's leftover transdermal glutathione. Our doc goes with transdermal. I get it compounded. I have LYme and same MTHFR as kids.

Nickel mama- wonder if we could possibly have same Ohio doc? Ours is ILADS doc but has treated PANS. Our kids take some of the same supplements. I chuckled when I read your list. What lab do you use for glutathione testing?

We don't use NAC with Lyme. Can't remember exactly why but something like it feeds the bacteria.

Good luck,

K

I can't tell if the NAC is actually doing anything. It's been a week since I started it, 500mg a day. He's no better, no worse.

Is glutathione absorbed well transdermally? That certainly sounds more acceptable to DS than a suppository!!

Very frustrating. No idea what is going on. Really not into the Christmas mood.

Edited by chubbermommy