ACN Latitudes Forums

I read a post a while ago about Stephen Buhner's book and protocol, "Healing Lyme Disease Coinfections: Complementary and Holistic Treatments for Bartonella and Mycoplasma".

I downloaded the book and it is extremely informative. I am trying to schedule a consult with his referral (Julie) for 2 weeks from now. I am curious if others have tried this approach to kill mycoplasma and if it was successful.

If so, how long did it take and do you have any suggestions.

Thank you.

Heidi

Edited by hkp901

We had very good results with Buhner's bartonella protocol, but have not treated mycoplasma other than initiating Buhner's diet suggestions.

With the addition of herbs for babesia, DD13 has been sitting at 99% for a year now. No flares, no regression, just a great, healthy, energetic, bright kid.

I would suggest that anyone planning on consulting with Julie purchase and read the book(s) beforehand. The Herbal Antibiotics for resistant bacterial infections (edition 2) covers the herbs used in the babesia protocol. The new Ehrlichia, anaplasma, babesia coinfection book is due out later this spring. I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Julie is getting pretty busy these days. On his facebook page Buhner does recommend others that can be consulted for his protocols:

2) Tommy Priester in Lincoln, MA (tommy@hmithpy.com);

Gordon Medical Associates in Santa Rosa, CA ((707) 575-5180);

and Tim Scott in Brattleboro, VT (Toll free: 877.591.1874 In VT: 802.246.1090)

Edited by rowingmom

Thanks Rowingmom, I could not figure out where to go to email you privately (again). I am pretty new to this site. Thanks for responding both privately and here on this post. I have a doctor who is familiar with methylation, but we are definitely still having issues. We just got his 23andme results a month ago. We have LOTS of issues with detoxing. Do you have a recommendation? Thanks again!

We are using his EBV protocol with what I would consider outstanding results so far (see my siggie). We are in a minor flare right now, but still manageable, and we had an awesome few months before that. I am looking forward to returning to those awesome times, and I have solid hope after we kick what is causing this flare, we will be back on track again.

I also recommend his herbal antiviral book for anyone who may dealing with viruses as well. We have both the viral and abx real book and a kindle edition of each (only books I have real and digital versions of!) I have never regretted buying any of it.

We didn't do 23andme, but our testing through LabCorp showed DD to be heterozygous for A1298C MTHFR. She has no trouble with sulphate so I am assuming no CBS mutations.

We supplement low doses of methylated B's (Swanson Ultra Activated B complex) and sublingual methyl B12 every other day and stay away from artificially fortified food. Following a Terry Wahls/PerfectHealthDiet (mainly organic); I hope she is getting everything else she needs from that.

Funny Mayzoo - Buhner's Herbal Antibiotics (2nd edition) and Herbal Antivirals are the only books for which I have both the real and digital versions of as well. That way people can't tell what I'm reading at the beach! I tell them it's Fifty Shades....

LLM has written a huge amount of information in the archives about methylation and 23andme. She is/was our resident methylation guru.

Thanks everyone. I am trying to figure out... Do I deal with the insane amount of methylation issues before the Buhner protocol or do I handle the protocol first (or do both at the same time). We started methyl B-12 and methyl folate and my son can not tolerate them. We switched to Hydroxy B-12 and he can't tolerate that. I know that mycoplasma eats up his B vitamins, so I am going to try

Adeno B-12 next, but if that does not work, I think I will be forced to start at the beginning of his methylation cycle with Amy Yasko's program. Any thoughts on this? We are trying to execute the nutrition in Buhner's book. I have not bought the herbs, yet. And I heard Raintree is out of business. Did you make your own herbal remedies, or did you buy them? pre made. My son can not have corn, rice or wheat--- among a bunch of other things, so I think I will be forced to make my own. Also, did you all work with Julie? Or did you work with Tommie. Or did you go at it alone with the book as helper. Thanks a million!!!!

I make my own tinctures. I buy the cut and sifted herbs and make them into tinctures. Or, in some cases I grow what we need and turn that into tinctures. I also buy the herb powders in bulk and put them into capsules myself. Doing both these saves us a lot of money.

However, I did buy at least one month of everything commercially made first, That way I could make sure kiddo could tolerate them, and that gave me a well labelled bottle to store my own creation in.

We are going it alone with the help of his books. I do have 25 years pharmacy history under my belt, so that helps me in many ways.

Edited by mayzoo

I purchase our tinctures from WoodLandEssence (sida, red root, bidens, CSA, Japanese knotweed) and source our powdered herbs (houttuynia, cordyceps, Japanese knotweed) from 1stChineseHerbs. Other herbal tinctures I use (ginger, hawthorne, milk thistle, curcumin) I source from OrangeNaturals, a Canadian company.

I infuse the powdered herbs instead of encapsulating them. Infusing them through different temperatures extracts more constituents than simply using an acid extraction (stomach acid). Then when the herb is mixed and suspended in the tea before drinking, further acid extraction is allowed in the stomach. It's just easier to slug down a shot of tea with a pomegranate juice chaser than to take lots of capsules.

I started the bartonella protocol on my own using the mycoplasma/bartonella coinfections book. I had read up on the subject a couple of months before DD was weaned from abx. The LLMD said I would be OK to start with herbs - so I did!

I contacted Julie after several months and she said we were doing fine. She gave me a couple more suggestions (mostly for detox) that I initiated.

Then after trialing CSA which produced a babesia herx (and a new clinical diagnosis of babesia-like-organism from the LLMD), I contacted Julie again for input on the babesia protocol which is not in print yet. I didn't feel the website contained enough information for me to go in.

Please be careful of where you source your herbs. They may be organic, but if they are grown in a highly polluted area you may still be getting unwanted toxins. For this reason I stick with Buhner's recommendations.

Others include:

Elk Mountain Herbs
1stChineseHerbs
Healing Spirits Herb Farm
Horizon Herbs
Mountain Rose Herbs
Pacific Botanicals
Sage Woman Herbs
WoodLand Essence
Zack Woods Herb Farm
Desert Tortoise Botanicals

When starting methylated vitamins, go slow. If you cause a backup in one of the pathways you will be in a mess. Our LLMD wanted DD to take methylB12 shots with relatively huge amounts of B12 and folate. I said no way - we started orally at low dose and didn't have a noticeable problem. Just be aware that overmethylation can be as damaging as undermethylation, which is why we now only supplement every other day.

@Mayzoo - you must be a pharmacist if you can get those capsule machine thingy's to work!

Edited by rowingmom

I purchase our tinctures from WoodLandEssence (sida, red root, bidens, CSA, Japanese knotweed) and source our powdered herbs (houttuynia, cordyceps, Japanese knotweed) from 1stChineseHerbs. Other herbal tinctures I use (ginger, hawthorne, milk thistle, curcumin) I source from OrangeNaturals, a Canadian company.

I infuse the powdered herbs instead of encapsulating them. Infusing them through different temperatures extracts more constituents than simply using an acid extraction (stomach acid). Then when the herb is mixed and suspended in the tea before drinking, further acid extraction is allowed in the stomach. It's just easier to slug down a shot of tea with a pomegranate juice chaser than to take lots of capsules.

I started the bartonella protocol on my own using the mycoplasma/bartonella coinfections book. I had read up on the subject a couple of months before DD was weaned from abx. The LLMD said I would be OK to start with herbs - so I did!

I contacted Julie after several months and she said we were doing fine. She gave me a couple more suggestions (mostly for detox) that I initiated.

Then after trialing CSA which produced a babesia herx (and a new clinical diagnosis of babesia-like-organism from the LLMD), I contacted Julie again for input on the babesia protocol which is not in print yet. I didn't feel the website contained enough information for me to go in.

Please be careful of where you source your herbs. They may be organic, but if they are grown in a highly polluted area you may still be getting unwanted toxins. For this reason I stick with Buhner's recommendations.

Others include:

Elk Mountain Herbs

1stChineseHerbs

Healing Spirits Herb Farm

Horizon Herbs

Mountain Rose Herbs

Pacific Botanicals

Sage Woman Herbs

WoodLand Essence

Zack Woods Herb Farm

Desert Tortoise Botanicals

When starting methylated vitamins, go slow. If you cause a backup in one of the pathways you will be in a mess. Our LLMD wanted DD to take methylB12 shots with relatively huge amounts of B12 and folate. I said no way - we started orally at low dose and didn't have a noticeable problem. Just be aware that overmethylation can be as damaging as undermethylation, which is why we now only supplement every other day.

@Mayzoo - you must be a pharmacist if you can get those capsule machine thingy's to work!

I am a very well educated, certified and licensed pharmacy technician. I have taken lots of pharmacy courses and worked in all the settings available except mail order. I have made IV and TPNs. I also worked in a compounding pharmacy for years, hence I am comfortable with this whole process :). I can crank out about 1200 capsules in a day at home before I get too bored/tired LOL.

Kiddo will only drink plain water or I would give the infusions a try.

Edited by mayzoo

I am a very well educated, certified and licensed pharmacy technician. I have taken lots of pharmacy courses and worked in all the settings available except mail order. I have made IV and TPNs. I also worked in a compounding pharmacy for years, hence I am comfortable with this whole process :). I can crank out about 1200 capsules in a day at home before I get too bored/tired LOL.

Ha - I knew it. On my first go round I only had 5 good capsules out of 25. What a mess! No wonder I am forced to make tea. It's hard to go wrong boiling water.

I am a fisheries biologist. Maybe that's where the water thing comes from.

Edited by rowingmom

Ha - I knew it. On my first go round I only had 5 good capsules out of 25. What a mess! No wonder I am forced to make tea. It's hard to go wrong boiling water.

I am a fisheries biologist. Maybe that's where the water thing comes from.

If you ever want to try capsule making again, try it with "The Capsule Machine"

(video here:

).

You put the top in one tray, and the bottom in the other. After you fill the capsules, the two trays fit together, you push down gently and viola----the two halves automatically put the capsules together. My sister uses the other common one (Cap M Quick I believe), and she has to put the tops on the bottoms by hand. This takes longer and would try even my patience. She wishes she had bought the same one I have.

I use The Capsule Machine, and love it. Of course, I would love to have the one I had in the pharmacy that does 100 at a time, but I do not want to pay the professional price of course. The capsule machine is the closest I have found in my research to what I used in the pharmacy....smaller quantities, but still a breeze to use.

On the other hand, I know folks who have messed up boiling water....but hey, we cannot help everyone. Fisheries biologist sounds fun too :).

Edited by mayzoo

WOW! Thanks everyone. Another question... my son has corn, rice and wheat issues per his food testing. Can you do a tincture without any of those items in the alcohol? I'm guessing not... but curious if you had any knowledge in this area. If not, I may need to stick to boiling water. He's 7, so that will be a hard pill to swallow for him. Thanks!