ACN Latitudes Forums

LDA immunotherapy

I am a new member. My daughter's main issues are severe allergies. Her symptoms are "brain allergy" ones like brain fog, fatigue, unreal feeling, spacey, headaches, etc. She has autoimmune diseases too: psoriasis and hashimotos. She has had some mild OCD behaviors for a couple of years. They did not interfere with her everyday function. We have tried many types of treatments for her allergies. She has been gluten free and casein free for one year. We are now doing LDA immunotherapy for food, inhalants, and chemicals. In addition Dr. Shrader found she is sensitive to strep and we are adding that in treatment too. After one LDA immunotherapy her OCD behavior was aggravated. He feels this may be a good sign. My big questions is has anyone tried LDA for allergies and seen an aggravation of OCD.

Part of her treatment includes antibiotics to treat strep right before the LDA injections. I feel 100% certain I am on the right track to help her allergies. I just do not know what to expect with the OCD. Any thoughts appreciated. We have wondered about Pandas. Her naturopathic dr tested titers and all okay. We have used antibiotics 2-3 x in the past to see if change in symptoms but none.

She is taking tofranil right now. This is the only allowed drug during treatment. She is on natural dessicated thyroid hormone too. She takes supplements like B's, D, fish oil (not allowed right after injections), digestive enzymes, probiotics.

• 3 months later...

"73 physicians participated in the study at different centers (multi-center) in the USA and Canada. Patients were selected randomly for this study in many or most instances. However, a quite significant percentage of these of patients were selected because they had previously failed on treatment with both medications and conventional immunotherapy."

" Enzyme Potentiated Desensitization (EPD) is a unique method of immunotherapy, developed in the 1960s, which involves treating all types of allergy with combinations of a large variety of extremely low dose allergens. EPD is a cell-mediated type of immunotherapy. It has been employed to treat multiple conditions and appears to be a long lasting treatment option for allergy and autoimmune illnesses. It has also been employed for many conditions not generally thought to be due to any type of allergy or autoimmune disease. EPD is no longer available in the USA and has been replaced by Ultra Low Dose Enzyme Activated Immunotherapy (LDA)."

"Comparison of EPD to conventional immunotherapy

Conventional "escalating dose" (where the dose is started "low" - usually 1 to 10,000, and increased over time to as high as 1 to 10, 1 to 20 or 1 to 100) immunotherapy is employed in this country primarily to treat hay fever, cat and dust mite allergy, which are primarily IgE mediated. This type of therapy works by causing the patient to produce "blocking antibody" (specific IgG), which inhibits the histamine-releasing ability (which produces the allergy symptoms) of the mast cell. The higher the level of blocking antibody that can be produced, the more successful is the treatment. In order to produce adequate levels of blocking antibody, studies have shown that it requires administration of very high doses of allergen. Therefore, treatment using this method often causes intolerable swelling and other side effects before clinical efficacy can be attained, and can be dangerous due to the risk of severe reactions such as anaphylaxis, massive swelling, collapse and death.

In England, "conventional" (escalating dose) immunotherapy has now been banned by the Medicines Commission (26 deaths had been reported) except when given in a hospital setting where emergency resuscitation equipment is immediately available. On the other hand, EPD is allowed to be administered in physicians' offices in England. Hence there has been a virtual demise of conventional high dose immunotherapy in England. In the United States, at least 60 deaths have been recorded since treatment began in the 1930s as a result of conventional immunotherapy, but the actual number is likely closer to 100."

" It is very highly unlikely that EPD or LDA will ever receive FDA approval. The costs of FDA approval (the average cost of the average drug approved today is about 800 million dollars) are simply too great to allow either to be a financially viable treatment, even if they were approved. Further, the number of allergens contained in EPD and LDA is far too great for the FDA to consider approval, since the FDA's approval slogan is effectively, "one drug, one indication"."

• 2 weeks later...

AS an allergic reaction almost hmmmmm. Double check the shot I don't think he can legally inject a live bacteria into you in the US. I don't think the shot has KLEB in it but am unsure of all the rules here.

From his site"Since the other allergens and components in LDA are from pharmaceutical suppliers accepted by the FDA, Dr. Shrader did not want to include bacterial antigens in LDA. Please note: neither EPD nor LDA are approved by the Food and Drug Administration.

The absence of the bacteria from the general mixtures of LDA appears to make no difference"