ACN Latitudes Forums

Strep in Eustachian Tube?

Hi all,

We've been dealing with PANDAS and Lyme for coming up on 7 years. I come to this board from time to time. We've never been able to cure my strep carrier daughter of strep no matter what type of abx we have done. Given that carrier child tests positive for strep while on heavy duty abx, we eventually decided to stop all abx treatment about a year ago for both the carrier child and the PANDAS child. Due to some challenges in school, carrier child was recommended to be evaluated by a speech pathologist. Come to find out that our carrier daughter has inflammation in her Eustachian tube(s?). I was with her for the whole test and heard the whole thing and the errors she made were consistent with her speech and hearing over the course of her life. (she is 8). meaning this inflammation is not acute, but chronic. The doc was less than helpful and was ready to shoo me out the door, but he did, however, confirm that you can have strep in your Eustachian tube(s). Anyone else dealt with this. Call it mommy instinct, but I just know that this is the root of our hiding strep. I am really averse to using abx again since we haven't been successful with them in the past, but if someone has a protocol, I'm all for it. We have moved on to homeopathy and trying to help the body heal itself and I am much more comfortable going that route. However, I am open to most anything. TIA.

FA

Hi there.

A PANS clinic doctor they use the following website as the main and updated source of PANDAS/PANS information: pansppn.org. Here is what it says (below) about the location of strep infections. Good luck to you; keep researching for answers.

• Location of Strep Infection – strep infections typically occur in the oropharynx, tonsils and anus and each area should be examined and swabbed for culture. Although “strep throat” infections are the most common trigger, PANDAS has been reported to occur in association with perianal strep infections. Additional sites may be involved; for example, animal research suggests that strep in the nasal cavity may enter or influence neuroimmune cells along the olfactory nerve, providing access to the brain through the third ventricle.

Thank you for this info!

how annoying, it IS all related. Carrier DD first presented with Scarlett Fever and then what we thought was diaper rash. She has always had strep on her bum. She also constantly tests positive for strep so we had both girls T&A removed. We have also found strep on teeth and gums, but not that often. This Eus Tube thing is not new by any means as I can see all the signs now. It is just the first time I have put it together.

Anyone know how to get to that area?

Has she seen an ENT since the inflammation in tubes dx? I would think they would be best at resolving this.

I cannot read this for relevance now, but here is a google search for strep in Eustachian tubes + treatment:

https://www.google.com/search?newwindow=1&biw=1600&bih=780&q=strep+in+eustachian+tubes+%2B+treatment&oq=strep+in+eustachian+tubes+%2B+treatment&gs_l=serp.3...45328.48070.0.48326.12.12.0.0.0.0.111.931.10j2.12.0....0...1c.1.64.serp..7.5.382.wUvmdlExSV8

It's absolutely possible to have strep in your ears. Both my PANDAS child and my non-PANDAS child have tested positive for a strep infection in their ears at one time or another. For the PANDAS child, locating the strep first step towards putting him into remission. For the non-pandas child, one ten day course of Augmentin brought down fever and cured the infection.

If your daughter has fluid in her ears, it can be easily cultured. Please let me know if you get a positive result feel free to message me and I'd be happy to provide more detailed information about our journey.