ACN Latitudes Forums

Adult Pandas doctor in nyc area

• 3 weeks later...

There are no adult pandas doctors because, by definition, pandas is a pediatric illness. That said, it is possible for a prior pandas patient to continue to have strep induced OCD, and there are doctors who are willing to treat, particularly if you are referred by the diagnosing physician. Also, in my experience, many pediatric doctors will continue to treat patients through age 21.

your information is incorrect. pans/pandas can develop in adulthood. it is rare, but it does happen. dr. swedo confirmed this. please do not continue to present incorrect information as fact. as you know, spreading of medical misinformation has been disastrous for many of us on this forum. thank you.

sleepingdog, I think you did not read carefully enough the post you were reacting to. the post only reminds that most pandas drs treat pediatric patients until the age of 21. if you have information to the contrary, please, present it. Identify those PANDAS drs who also treat adults. That would be of great help to many.

my response was to mommy bee who said, "...by definition, pandas is a pediatric illness." in either event, it is very important to clarify that a person can develop pandas in adulthood. imagine a 'normal' adult life with its relationships, family, responsibilities, and career being turned upside down when an adult develops pandas and begins thinking, feeling, and behaving like a sick and pained autistic toddler overnight. it is horrific. imagine the irreparable damage to your life when it takes six months, twenty doctors, and several emergency room visits to get a diagnosis.
dr. amiram katz in orange, ct has extensive knowledge and experience with adult onset pandas. he is a brilliant and compassionate human being and doctor.