ACN Latitudes Forums

How to decode an OAT test!

So... I got my son's OAT results from Great Plains Lab. Most thingslook ok, even the yeast section is mostly normal except for high Arabinose. WHAT THE HECK IS ARABINOSE?? LOL Most of the stuff he had a high or low marker for I have no idea what they are...

High Arabinose in the Yeast and Fungal Markers category

High 4-Hydroxybutyric in the Ketone and Fatty Acid Oxidation category

Low Vitamin C (at least I know what that one is!)

Low Vitamin B6

High 2-Hydroxyhippuric in the Indicators of Detoxification category

high Phosphoric in the Bone Metabolites category

High Pyruvic in the Glycolytic Cycle Metabolites category

High Quinolinic/5-HIAA ratio in the Neurotransmitter Metabolites category

Anyone have any idea what this all means? Some other things he appeared to be low on but they weren't marked low so I guess they were in range. Heeelllpppp! :)

Suzanne

So... I got my son's OAT results from Great Plains Lab. Most thingslook ok, even the yeast section is mostly normal except for high Arabinose. WHAT THE HECK IS ARABINOSE?? LOL Most of the stuff he had a high or low marker for I have no idea what they are...

High Arabinose in the Yeast and Fungal Markers category

High 4-Hydroxybutyric in the Ketone and Fatty Acid Oxidation category

Low Vitamin C (at least I know what that one is!)

Low Vitamin B6

High 2-Hydroxyhippuric in the Indicators of Detoxification category

high Phosphoric in the Bone Metabolites category

High Pyruvic in the Glycolytic Cycle Metabolites category

High Quinolinic/5-HIAA ratio in the Neurotransmitter Metabolites category

Anyone have any idea what this all means? Some other things he appeared to be low on but they weren't marked low so I guess they were in range. Heeelllpppp! :)

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne--

Do you have a DAN to talk to about this? I found this link to be helpful in reading both our OAT test results: http://www.greatplainslaboratory.com/home/eng/Clinical%20Significance%20of%20the%20OAT.pdf

Also, I think you can call Great Plains and go over the results with someone.

Aribinose is a marker for yeast. You'll need to start or increase probiotics. We get ours (all their stuff is strep strain free, I believe) from Custom Probiotics. It's a fabulous product.

Low Vit C indicates a stress response in the body, and that the body needs more. DD is 41 lbs and gets 2000 mg a day. It's good to work up to that dose little by little.

high Phosphoric probably means your son needs calcium PRONTO -- that his body is leaching calcium out of his bones. My daughter also had very, very high levels in this category and adding calcium chews from Kirkman's really helped. We made the mistake of not adding magnesium with it which is one of the reasons she developed her facial tics. Kirkman's makes a good magnesium citrate. Things have improved since I added the mag.

My daughter's High Quinolinic/5-HIAA ratio was caused by too much supplemental Tryptophan, but look at the link I sent you to find the other reasons. We took her off Tryptophan and things improved.

I'm not an expert, but in my daughter's case (with some similar results to your son's, plus about 10 other abnormal results) the big picture pointed to nutritional deficiency caused by gut dysbiosis/yeast. At the time of our first OAT in July 2010 we had been off gluten, casein, soy, corn and yeast for about five months. Once we started addressing the yeast issue and adding high quality nutritional supplements, things really started to improve for us.

In fact, dd's PANDAS symptoms have actually turned out to be severe food allergies which can also present as a neuropathy. We went to an integrative doctor and he showed me a list of how non-typical, delayed food allergies can affect different systems in the body depending on genetics. One system is the neurological system and the list of symptoms looked EXACTLY like the PANDAS list. He ordered an IgE/IgG4 blood panel for 190 foods. Working with the results under his direction we have really started to see some great improvement and healing in my daughter.

Good luck. Feel free to e-mail me or message me if you have any questions at all!

All the best,

Malke

Thank you for the reply! That link is GREAT... I wonder why they don't include that in the test results? What they do give is more general.

I am trying to get him to start taking Kirkman's Spectrum Complete vitamins... they have magnesium and calcium, which I know could help the tics. I also want to get him on a b complex supplement as well as vitamin C.

I wrote "high" 5-HIAA but actually it was low. It isn't marked "L" but his value was 0.81 with a the reference range being less than/equal to 11... so that seems pretty low. Not enough serotonin?

I do give probiotics, but I am going to start giving more.

*edit... let's see.. the 5-HIAA level seemed low, but the Quinolinic/5-HIAA ratio was high.... not at all sure what that means.

Edited by monarchcat

I am trying to get him to start taking Kirkman's Spectrum Complete vitamins... they have magnesium and calcium, which I know could help the tics. I also want to get him on a b complex supplement as well as vitamin C.

I wrote "high" 5-HIAA but actually it was low. It isn't marked "L" but his value was 0.81 with a the reference range being less than/equal to 11... so that seems pretty low. Not enough serotonin?

I do give probiotics, but I am going to start giving more.

*edit... let's see.. the 5-HIAA level seemed low, but the Quinolinic/5-HIAA ratio was high.... not at all sure what that means.

I'm not sure an all-in-one vitamin would be enough. Do you have anyone to help sort that out for your specific situation? Our DAN suggested, based on dd's results (similar to your son's), the supernuthera multi which has added B vitamins, a seperate calcium chew and a magnesium powder, all from Kirkman's (dd does not swallow pills).

I give dd two adult scoops of the Custom Probiotics daily, for a total of about 400billion CFUS daily. DD was on abx for two month when we thought it really was PANDAS and she had no yeast issues thanks to the high doses. We essentially fought her gut yeast this way since last July, to very good results, but we also monitored overall sugars intake -- some fruits, some carbs, but not a lot of 'treats' and also made sure she had protein with every meal. You probably know this, but if you increase probiotics, do it slowly -- if he has a yeast issue you don't want to create massive die-off discomfort. Depending on how high his yeast marker was you may need more than just probiotics to get rid of it. We did some GSE (grapefruit seed extract) -- it is high in phenols, but based on your OAT results it sounds like he could handle it.

Also, if something is not marked Low or High in the results, then I think you're okay.

Have you had a chance to call the Great Plains folks? And, have you done any testing for delayed food allergies? I wish we had done our IgE/IgG panel sooner.

best,

Malke