ACN Latitudes Forums

OMG....Have I completely missed the obvious?

Dedee

We had a horrible night last night again with my daughter. It was a 2 hour ordeal just getting her to take her medicine. While she was dressing for bed she mentioned that her bottom was still hurting. She had told me yesterday and I had put some desitin on it. So this time while I was putting medicine on it again, all the sudden it hit me....what if this is peri-anal strep??? I have never seen it, only heard others here talk about it. My daughter has this issue with her bottom every few months where it gets extremely red around her anus (sorry for too much detail), and is painful and itchy. I have always sort of put it down to the fact that she is always constipated and has trouble with her bowels anyway. She has been complaining about feeling bad and having a stomach ache for the past week or so. My son also does this occasionally, but I would say maybe only a couple times a year. I have just never put the two together. Where have I been? How could I have overlooked this? Can someone please give me more information about the symptoms and how it looks and so forth. In the past it has eventually gone away after treatment with desitin and other rash type treatment. Would it do that if it was strep? Can someone please help me piece this together??

Dedee

Ds has recurrent perianal strep-- it looks like a red ring right around the anus, usually a sharp demarcation around it, then there may be an area that is lighter or different in color or not as affected, possibly followed by more redness again, or the appearance of curved red markings/lines-- almost like parenthesis, and possibly more redness/irritation and/or spots, bumps, blisters.

As undesirable as it may be-- there are examples of the rash online and you could do a Google image search. I've found that image searching for rashes generally bring up the more extreme examples- so I wouldn't rule it out based only on that. Most peds can identify it on sight b/c it's a pretty unique rash, and you can have them try to culture it for you.

HTH

My younger daughter had this once.

She was about 4 or so....It looked a lot like diaper rash, bright red from front to back, but she had been potty trained for over 2 years.

Doctor knew instantly what it was and put her on zithro. Cleared up in a few days and she was much happier.

We also used a little A & D ointment.

We had a horrible night last night again with my daughter. It was a 2 hour ordeal just getting her to take her medicine. While she was dressing for bed she mentioned that her bottom was still hurting. She had told me yesterday and I had put some desitin on it. So this time while I was putting medicine on it again, all the sudden it hit me....what if this is peri-anal strep??? I have never seen it, only heard others here talk about it. My daughter has this issue with her bottom every few months where it gets extremely red around her anus (sorry for too much detail), and is painful and itchy. I have always sort of put it down to the fact that she is always constipated and has trouble with her bowels anyway. She has been complaining about feeling bad and having a stomach ache for the past week or so. My son also does this occasionally, but I would say maybe only a couple times a year. I have just never put the two together. Where have I been? How could I have overlooked this? Can someone please give me more information about the symptoms and how it looks and so forth. In the past it has eventually gone away after treatment with desitin and other rash type treatment. Would it do that if it was strep? Can someone please help me piece this together??

Dedee

My non-PANDAS dd gets this too.

I showed it to our ped and she said it was yeast (but no testing was done). She recommended some anti-yeast ointment which didn't help (it was some kind of vaginal anti-yeast cream, a generic monistat.)

Finally (don't laugh now) I used some dog ear medicine (it has some steroid for the itch, also a pretty strong antibiotic and antiyeast medicine in it). It's called Mometamax. I don't know if there is a human version, but I had some left over from the dog, so I though why not? (he he, I didn't tell dd that it was dog medicine). It's an ointment too. It cleared up beautifully on that. Hmmm...so that made me think it was strep. If it was yeast, why would it clear up on the medicine with a stronge antibiotic in it?

Same thing here-- ds has had recurrent issues with these rashes for years and they've never responded to typical diaper rash remedies, or treatments for yeasts. But, he was sick a lot and had frequent abx and when they would blister I had Mupirocin to out on them so they would come and go but I never realized it was bacterial. That whole hindsight thing, right? Becoming a PANS parent has made me realize how little I knew when my kiddos were very little. It wasn't until this year that I learned it was strep. And guess when the rash returned (with a spike in his OCD, etc.)? A day or two before his first visit with our PANDAS doc-- talk about timing! I finally learned what the rash really was and it made confirming the strep with the flare quite easy for the doc.