ACN Latitudes Forums

504 for Lyme AND PANDAS?

I have a letter drafted out but I made it geared towards PANDAS when i thought that's all we had.

So, my question is if I list both, isn't this going to overwhelm a new school and teacher? I feel like it all seems too much ( i know it is for me, and it's my kid!) :P

Anyone have a good 504 letter w/ LYME AND PANDAS listed that they would to share?

I have a letter drafted out but I made it geared towards PANDAS when i thought that's all we had.

So, my question is if I list both, isn't this going to overwhelm a new school and teacher? I feel like it all seems too much ( i know it is for me, and it's my kid!) :P

Anyone have a good 504 letter w/ LYME AND PANDAS listed that they would to share?

The 504 needs to focus on what the child needs to succeed in the classroom. So, as far as the diagnoses are concerned, I would certainly mention both, list the symptoms associated with both, but then make sure you list how that translates into the ability to learn in the classroom. What modifications and compensations does your child need in order to learn (e.g.: 1) sit in the front of the room 2) provide handouts of the notes 3) use of a computer for long written assignments 4) extra time on tests.) If your child is having difficulty getting homework done, like mine does when in flareup, you definitely need to address that one. Typically, children are not supposed to do more than 10 minutes per grade. If your child is unable to get all the homework done, and/or it is causing severe anxiety, meltdowns, etc, you need to address this in very functional, MEASURABLE terms (in other words, not just "less homework", but rather "no more than 3 math equations per evening, gradually increasing as the child can handle it.")

You can also look in http://pandasnetwork.org/resources-new-research/for-the-school/ for other ideas.

Good luck.