ACN Latitudes Forums

Spiderweb Rash- Questions and Photos

I have also noticed that we are bruising easily & that some of my kids are having "blood freckles" when they cry unusually hard or, as in the case of the last 2 days with a stomach bug, they throw up.

grace -- what are blood freckles?

Red colored little spots like small freckles. My 13 yr old (PDD-NOS) used to have it from time to time when he had a meltdown & had been crying real hard so that his face would be red (suffusion of the face with blood). I read somewhere that it is most likely due to some minor leakage of the capillaries in the facial skin which tends to be thinner.

Pixie's bio father would get the blood freckles when he would drink alcohol, throw up, or cry too. I wonder if that is also Lyme-linked. I have never known anyone else who got those.

. I wonder if that is also Lyme-linked. .

hmm - ds9 is being treated for everything. he occasionally gets about 6 small red round spots, not raised over his right eyebrow. sometimes if angry or upset but not always. i can't remember when it started. i wrote up a history for the first dr visit and had it in the 'general' category -- not 1 mth, recent or 6 mths ago.

does anyone know what it indicates? i guess i know the infections he's being treated for so do i just assume it's related and see if it resolves?

Edited by smartyjones

I don't know, but along those lines, my 3 yr old (not yet tested for Lyme) has had a spot about the size of a pencil eraser under her eye that you can see only when she cries. We initially thought it was something blocking her sinus, but dr says it is not that. She has had it since birth.

Pixie has a vague spot that runs through one eyebrow that looks like a perforated line, but I was told it was a birthmark. It does not look like any birthmark I have ever seen, although she WAS born with it.

Don't have time to read all of the responses but I get this ALL THE TIME!!!!!!! I've had a hard time getting it to show up in photos, though. It mostly happens on my legs & feet. Also, I've got burns on both of my knees & they turn way darker whenever I've got the spiderweb thing going on. I showed it to the nurse practitioner at my last well check & she told me I was cold. I like her but, um. I think I would know if I was cold.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I'm wondering if anyone can help me sort this out?

I'm thinking this paper might need a 2nd look even if you just read the intro

http://rheumatology.oxfordjournals.org/content/45/7/833.full.pdf

Overlapping humoral autoimmunity links rheumatic

fever and the antiphospholipid syndrome

then this

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/antiphospholipid-syndrome/DS00921/DSECTION=symptoms

Excerpts:

less common symptoms

Neurological symptoms. Chronic headaches, including migraines, dementia and seizures are possible when a blood clot blocks blood flow to parts of your brain. Rash. Some people develop a red rash with a lacy, net-like pattern (livedo reticularis) on their wrists and knees.

Bleeding. Some people experience a decrease in platelets, blood cells necessary for normal clotting. If you have this condition (thrombocytopenia), you may have few or no symptoms. However, if your platelet count drops too low, you may have episodes of bleeding, particularly from your nose and gums. You can also bleed into your skin, which will appear as patches of small, red spots (petechiae).

Infrequent signs and symptoms include:

Movement disorder, in which your body and limbs jerk uncontrollably (chorea)

Cognitive problems, such as poor memory

Sudden hearing loss

Mental health problems, such as depression or psychosis

and

http://ard.bmj.com/content/62/5/388.full

Parvovirus B19

Loizou et al measured a variety of aPL in the sera of 12 patients with parvovirus B19 infection.14 The aCL were found to be β2GPI dependent, as in SLE, unlike the antibodies from patients with other viral infections examined ( not sure what that means)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parvovirus_B19

B19 virus causes a childhood rash called fifth disease or erythema infectiosum which is commonly called slapped cheek syndrome

and

http://www.pedrheumonlinejournal.org/nov-dec/pdf/pathogenesis-final.pdf

excerpts

Other infections less frequently associated with APS are pulmonary tuberculosis, mycoplasma, malaria, P. carinii and leptospirosis.

and

There is structural similarity between various common pathogens, including Helicobacter pylori, Streptococcus pyogenus, Borrelia burgdorferi, Saccharomyces cerevisiae, Vaccinia virus, Epstein-Barr virus and ß2GPI and ß2GPI related peptides. One theory is that pathogen particles are phagocytized and digested by antigen presenting cells (macrophages, dendritic cells or B cells).

http://www.pedrheumonlinejournal.org/nov-dec/pdf/pathogenesis-final.pdf

Whether an individual will develop APS will depend mainly on his genetic predisposition. Therefore, a mimicking antigen, similar in only one epitope, may initiate a primary cross-reactive response to that epitope that subsequently results in recognition of numerous epitopes on the host β2GPI. Mimicry may be one of the mechanisms for breaking the tolerance and triggering the autoimmune response. Yet, the mere presence of a self-determinants on a virus or bacteria, will not necessarily result in disease. The full-blown APS will emerge only if appropriate genetic predisposition exists.