ACN Latitudes Forums

Nutritional Response Testing (NRT)

A homeopathic pediatrician that Pixie saw last week referred us to a chiro who does this. Dan saw a demo of it with the ped and wasn't TOO skeptical, and I asked another friend (a chiro) and she thought it was legit too. We went tonight (in the blizzard!!) to the chiro and Pixie got tested. It was interesting to say the least. It's definitely alternative medicine.... she talked about energy and then had someone hold Pixie's hand to be an "extension" of her and then Pixie held various supplements, etc to see what weakened and strengthened her. It reminded me of churches where people speak in tongues and fall out in the aisles (sorry, if anyone attends a church like that- I am not meaning to be offensive, just trying to paint a picture.) It sort of looked like someone who was a spiritual healer, I guess, and someone who was possessed with a spirit or something. I'm struggling to believe, and yet desperate enough to try ANYTHING at this point to help my baby feel better.

I was curious if anyone has heard of this or has thoughts? The supplements you take are WHOLE FOOD supplements, not vitamins or chemicals or anything. The company they use is Standard Process, which has a good reputation from what I can tell from asking around.

???

Manda

hi manda. as you may know from my posts, i'm into homeopathy and alternative treatments. i have never done this testing that you're talking about but know some people who have.

one friend is a pretty hard-nosed realist. she was having some health troubles and personally knew the nutritionist who suggested it from a work relationship - not from seeking her help. she said she thought it sounded like 'a crock of s***' but decided to try it anyway. she said she was really amazed when they did the testing that it seemed to come up with something real. i think they did some sort of strength testing with the supplements/food. i believe she did see improvements when she avoided whatever was suggested or took whatever was suggested.

the other is a mom of kids with lyme. i don't know remember what results they were seeing but last i discussed it with her, she was continuing. i can ask her thoughts on it now if you want.

Kathy

It sounds like the Doris Rapp allergy test. I saw her speak once (years ago) and she demonstrated this with, hmmm, a can of soda(?) and a member of the audience. Then she did this thing with pushing gently upwards on the ethmoid sinus area, and after that the soda didn't weaken? Okay, I just realized I'm probably not remembering this right! :( , but the testing strength of the arm while holding the food, that I remember for sure.

Kathy,

Yes! I would love to know.

Part of me is skeptical, but another part of me really believes in energy and holistic medicine and it makes perfect sense, you know? We have gone (and continue to go) both routes w/treatments and investigation. I have found that homeopathy is like anything else- if you find someone who knows what they are doing, it can really work... but you have to weed out the people who are trying to involve you in multi-level marketing schemes or just trying to sell you batches of vitamins and crap. ((sigh)) I really want this to be legit and work, but like anything else I feel like I have to do the legwork to make sure it's something we want to spend our precious little time, energy, and money on.

One of the best things we have done so far is MSA testing (Meridian Stress Assement) and we intend to do it for all of us, actually. This kind of reminded me of that, since you are measuring energy and weaknesses and using acupressure and so forth.

One interesting thing that came out of the session tonight was (if this is accurate) that Pixie is "switched," meaning that she is in fight or flight when she is laying down, but using her para-sympathetic nervous system when she is standing up. That is totally backward according to the chiro. I am thinking one of two things-

Either it is bull and makes sense because she was more scared at first laying down and then felt more at ease and in control while she was standing up and knowing that the test was almost over, etc.

OR

It really is true and that is why we see such exhaustion from her and such weird sensory issues- seeking to spin, roll, etc when she is still, and then becoming over-stimulated.

Hi Manda:

I tried this for myself 4 years ago to help with hyperthyroidism. I decided to try the natural route first and it really did help me.

We are also trying the homeopathic route with our son now on top of the monthly IVIG and antibiotics. The nice thing is that Dr. Ullman, the homeopathic doctor, has no problem with our continuation of the IVIG and the antibiotics.

Elizabeth

pixiesmommy,

I don't know if what you're speaking of here is something like NAET? that is allergy treatments where they muscle test different things to see if you are sensitive or allergic in a sense. This NRT is just doing the muscle testing to see if the person's energy is in harmony with the substance?

I have done NAET with my son for many months. The practitioner does the muscle testing, thru me as you describe, and we treated the things he was supposedly weak to. however, I can't report that it had any effect on his tics or issues, that is why I tried it. While a part of me was skeptical, I had to try it. sometimes I would wondered if the practitioner pushed harder on my arm than other times, etc.? and even tho I havn't see results, there is still a desperate part of me that wants to go back and try testing some other things that we havn't got to yet, hoping I'll hit on that one thing that makes the difference.

I know there was another mom in the office that I spoke to that went to another chiro who did some kind of testing, don't know what it was called, but they did it on a machine type thing, where it "read" the body and what was considered weak. I'm kind of interested in looking at that, but all this is $$$.

What does this NRT test for, just to see if you need certain nutrition? and then you take what they recommend? only thing that makes me wonder is, wouldn't everyone kind of come up with some deficiency of some kind? I would poke around and see what else you could find out about it, maybe other forums where they talk about this, you'll see what others have to say in the comments, and if they've had satisfactory results.

Faith

I rely heavily on this, as does my acupuncturist. Yes, it sounds crazy at first exposure, but the proof for me is in the results--it's right! I think, for an acupuncturist, the proof is more in just the shear logic of how the body works.

I have heard it called "energy testing" (more accurate) or "muscle response testing" (less accurate but more commonly used).

I use it to test supplements and also foods. As faith points out, the NAET practitioners will also use it to determine if you have an "allergy" to the food or whatever it is, and then after the treatment, to determine if it is cleared. Over time, I have developed some ability to test things for myself. Imagine being extremely sensitive to supplements and foods, and being able to test for yourself, in the store or at the restaurant or at the dining room table, various items to decide what to purchase or what to eat, rather than just guessing!

Michael