ACN Latitudes Forums

Turmeric?

guy123

I've recently become interested in anti-inflammatory supplements due in part to a recent bout of tendonitis that I am still recovering from. I've heard that Turmeric is a powerful anti-inflammatory and I wanted to see if anyone here has used it and if there was any effect on tics.

Note that I'm not taking this for tics, I just want to make sure it's not going to exacerbate them.

Also, feel free to post your favorite anti-inflammatory supplements in this thread. edit - fixed typo

Edited by guy123

I'll add more later as just leaving for work but yes, my son has used turmeric and the curcumin extract as an anti-inflamm for Crohn's with no triggering of tics

if you do a forum search here and on the PANDAS board you will find a lot of info on anti-inflamm

also look at Dr Weil's anti-inflamm diet.

HI, I am new here I posted a bit on the PANDAS board.

I recently saw pediatrician Dr. Sears in Dana Point Ca and he is a believer in Tumeric in helping kids with PANDAS

My son has tics, so I don't think he would do this if he thought it would make things worse.

I may be doing this once we get lab work done.

just my 2 cents. hope that helps.

Edited by socalmom

So apparently some companies sell "Turmeric" and it's just the seasoning put into capsules.

According to the websites I've read, including Dr. Weil's, you want to get Turmeric that is standardized to at least 95% curcuminoids. So check the labels. The first Turmeric I bought just said:

Turmeric - 500mg

I think it was just turmeric without much Curcumin, which is actually the effective substance in Turmeric.

Be aware, also, that some products will have labels that look like this:

Turmeric - 500mg

Turmeric Extract - 50mg

(standardized to 95% curcuminoids) - 47.5mg

So what that means is that there is 550mg total of stuff in the pills. 500mg is just Turmeric (likely not very helpful) and while it says it is standardized to 95% curcuminoids, that only refers to the second ingredient which is 50mg of Turmeric. Does that make sense? It's sort of misleading. You see the label and think "cool, 550mg of Tumeric, standardized to 95%." Except it's not. Only the second 50mg is standardized to 95%.

I ended up getting some at Vitamin Shoppe which is 900mg per pill, and all 900mg is standarized to 95% Curcumin (855mg, which is indicated on the label).

It also contains 5mg of black pepper (Piperine) standardized to 95% (so 4.75mg).

The addition of black pepper supposedly makes Curcumin like 1000% more bioavailable.

However, it seems that even taking one pill a day of this (with food) is giving me some intestinal disturbance 3-6 hours later. I may try emptying half the capsule and seeing if a small dose works better. 900mg is a pretty big dose. The label even says "triple strength."

I will update this thread later when I figure out what is going on.

Cliffs Notes on Turmeric/Curcumin

- Curcumin is the active substance in Turmeric that supposedly has the anti-inflammatory properties

- Get Turmeric that is standardized to at least 95% curcumin

- Make sure you check the label to see exactly how much is standardized. Is it the entire dosage? Or is it just a small percentage of the overall dosage?

- A little black pepper (this may be called "Piperine" on the label) added to the pill = better bioavailibility (supposedly)

- Take it with food

- Dr. Weil recommends 500mg 3 times a day. Start small and work up. Don't exceed that dose.

Edited by guy123

guy 123,

I took tumeric for my neck/shoulder pain and some minor finger joint pain. It didn't alleviate my pain but i experienced constipation. In TCM, tumeric can cause heat, so i am not surprise that i had issue & you have experienced some GI issues.

BTW, i don't have tics. Since it is anti-inflammatory, i would think that it should not aggravate tics.

Pat

• 4 years later...