ACN Latitudes Forums

Resveratrol

I have noticed resveratrol mentioned several times lately. We use a supplement derived from and containing Japanese knotweed, others may be made from red wine grapes, but which do not contain the herb Japanese knotweed. An excerpt from Healing Lyme – Natural Healing and Prevention of Lyme Borreliosis and Its Coinfections (Stephen Buhner):

Japanese Knotweed (Polygonum cuspidatum)

A broadly systemic plant, Japanese knotweed modulates and enhances immune function, is active against a number of gram-negative and gram-positive bacteria including leptospira and Treponema denticola spirochetes, is anti-inflammatory for both arthritic and bacterial inflammations, protects the body against endotoxin damage, helps reduce Herxheimer reactions, and is a cardioprotector.. …While there are a number of herbs that can reduce autoinflammatory conditions stimulated by MMP-1 and -3 (e.g. curcumin), the only herb that specifically blocks MMP-1 and MMP-3 induction through these …particular pathways is Polygonum cuspidatum. Resveratrol (one of the plant’s constitutents) is also directly active in reducing MMP-9 levels through both the JNK and protein kinase C-delta pathways; it has been found to specifically inhibit MMP-9 gene transcription….Polygonum cuspidatum’s constituents cross the BBB where they exert actions on the central nervous system….The herb specifically protects the brain from inflammatory damage, microbial endotoxins, and bacterial infections…..Knot weed enhances blood flow especially to the eye, heart, skin, and joints….it is also specific for treating bartonella coinfections that can occur in Lyme disease….It should be stressed that while resveratrol does do amazing things, it, by itself, is not sufficient in treating Lyme disease. The whole herb is crucial. Other constituents of the plant, such as emodin, polydatin, and trans-resveratrol have all been found to be “wonderdrugs” in their own right. The herb is also broadly antifungal (part of resveratrol’s function in the plant). It is strongly inhibitive against Candida albicans. …. Japanese knotweed is an angiogenesis modulator. That is, it stimulates the formation of new blood vessels and the healing of damaged ones in areas such as burned skin. But it also stops the development of new vessels and blood flow in areas where it should not occur, such as in malignant and benign tumor formation….It has…specific modulating and protectant actions on the endothelial cells that line blood vessels. (This is important for bartonella infections – my addition).

I'm not sure if the resveratrol supplements derived from grapes would have the same effect on lyme and co. that P. cuspidatum does. Buhner does not think so. I have not tried it, but my daughter and I both notice a difference in the way we feel with the Japanese knotweed. Buhner's book is a great reference for anyone wanting to use herbal supplementation.

Thank you for this information. Sounds very promising. Can you tell me what brand and where you purchase this herb? I appreciate it, John L

I have noticed resveratrol mentioned several times lately. We use a supplement derived from and containing Japanese knotweed, others may be made from red wine grapes, but which do not contain the herb Japanese knotweed. An excerpt from Healing Lyme – Natural Healing and Prevention of Lyme Borreliosis and Its Coinfections (Stephen Buhner):

Japanese Knotweed (Polygonum cuspidatum)

A broadly systemic plant, Japanese knotweed modulates and enhances immune function, is active against a number of gram-negative and gram-positive bacteria including leptospira and Treponema denticola spirochetes, is anti-inflammatory for both arthritic and bacterial inflammations, protects the body against endotoxin damage, helps reduce Herxheimer reactions, and is a cardioprotector.. …While there are a number of herbs that can reduce autoinflammatory conditions stimulated by MMP-1 and -3 (e.g. curcumin), the only herb that specifically blocks MMP-1 and MMP-3 induction through these …particular pathways is Polygonum cuspidatum. Resveratrol (one of the plant’s constitutents) is also directly active in reducing MMP-9 levels through both the JNK and protein kinase C-delta pathways; it has been found to specifically inhibit MMP-9 gene transcription….Polygonum cuspidatum’s constituents cross the BBB where they exert actions on the central nervous system….The herb specifically protects the brain from inflammatory damage, microbial endotoxins, and bacterial infections…..Knot weed enhances blood flow especially to the eye, heart, skin, and joints….it is also specific for treating bartonella coinfections that can occur in Lyme disease….It should be stressed that while resveratrol does do amazing things, it, by itself, is not sufficient in treating Lyme disease. The whole herb is crucial. Other constituents of the plant, such as emodin, polydatin, and trans-resveratrol have all been found to be “wonderdrugs” in their own right. The herb is also broadly antifungal (part of resveratrol’s function in the plant). It is strongly inhibitive against Candida albicans. …. Japanese knotweed is an angiogenesis modulator. That is, it stimulates the formation of new blood vessels and the healing of damaged ones in areas such as burned skin. But it also stops the development of new vessels and blood flow in areas where it should not occur, such as in malignant and benign tumor formation….It has…specific modulating and protectant actions on the endothelial cells that line blood vessels. (This is important for bartonella infections – my addition).

I'm not sure if the resveratrol supplements derived from grapes would have the same effect on lyme and co. that P. cuspidatum does. Buhner does not think so. I have not tried it, but my daughter and I both notice a difference in the way we feel with the Japanese knotweed. Buhner's book is a great reference for anyone wanting to use herbal supplementation.

We use Source Naturals brand 500 mg tablets from i-Herb. Source Naturals has a couple of different types of Resveratrol. One is derived from Knotweed, and the other has resveratrol from grapes. We use the knotweed derived. Buhner used to suggest this source, but now he recommends 450 mg capsules, wild-crafted from Green Dragon Botanicals. All the sources for the herbs he recommends, as well as the maximum dosages for the herbs in his core protocol, can be found on his website:

http://buhnerhealinglyme.com

He will also answer submitted questions, or you can search the site for info specific to each herb or coinfection.

My daughter and I both use 500mg TID, the same with cats claw. His maximum dosages exceed this by quite a bit. I made the mistake last week of doubling my dosage of cats claw (got Source Naturals instead of Natures Way it was on sale and I thought, what the heck it couldnt make that much difference). I was brain fogged, confused and raging in 4 days my poor husband. I havent felt that bad for years. It took me half the day to figure out what I had done to myself. A couple of Epsom salt baths and two days later (and back to the lower dose), Im fine. Silly me. Ramp up slowly. At least I didn't try that on DD.

Edited by rowingmom

Buhner certainly leans toward the whole plant kind of supplements and is a fan of japanese knotweed. I want to point out I have found Country Life's "Resveratrol Plus" supplement by far the best for me in terms of herbs in the knotweed/resveratrol category. This product contains a combination of whole herb and concentrated resveratrol from 4 different sources (one of them japanese knotweed)

Buhner certainly leans toward the whole plant kind of supplements and is a fan of japanese knotweed. I want to point out I have found Country Life's "Resveratrol Plus" supplement by far the best for me in terms of herbs in the knotweed/resveratrol category. This product contains a combination of whole herb and concentrated resveratrol from 4 different sources (one of them japanese knotweed)

Thanks, we will give that a try.

Are you familiar with revgenetics.com reseveratrol? I have used before and I am convinced it helped me conceive a healthy baby at 40. I saw this thread and was interested. My 8 y.o. has Lyme and I am looking for ways to help her. What is the children's dosage? Thanks

Are you familiar with revgenetics.com reseveratrol? I have used before and I am convinced it helped me conceive a healthy baby at 40. I saw this thread and was interested. My 8 y.o. has Lyme and I am looking for ways to help her. What is the children's dosage? Thanks

The dosages are listed on the left hand side of the front page of the website:

http://buhnerhealinglyme.com/

I have not tried revgenetics

thank you, I am going to start her on it

thank you, I am going to start her on it