ACN Latitudes Forums

Chelation Update

Hi Everyone,

Today was my 3-4 months follow up for chelation. I'm using Andy Cutler's protocol with one week on chelation and one week rest at 12 drops of transdermal dmps (4 drops every 8 hours). Considering switching to every 4 hours instead of 8 hours. I told my doctor I decided to use this protocol instead and he was okay with it. Though he would like me to be doing 50 drops of tddmps and I'm only doing 12. He said he'd really like me to try it and if things get bad I can always back down.

I'm pulling out more metals than I was before I started chelation. They were all with in the ranges, but my doctor said that's normal since I didn't do the challenge test. My doctor would really like me to do the challenge test sometime. For right now I'm being stubborn with that as I don't really see the point of giving a bunch of a chelator and then seeing how high your levels get. I have no doubt mine would be up there. For now I'm saying no to that and increasing the dosage as a no too, but we'll see. The urine test showed I'm pulling Aluminum, Arsenic, Cadmium, Nickel, Thallium, Tin, and Tungsten.

I showed my doctor the black specs that originally started coming out of my urine and now are coming out of fecal. He said he's never seen anything like that before, but its really interesting. He kept them and said about the only thing he can do is look under his microscope and see if there's any crystals, but he'll find someone to analyze them.

He said the rash I've been getting in the application site of td dmps, fatigue, headaches, achy legs, and some other things are all good things and is a sign of detox. He said not to worry that I'm allergic to the td dmps, that those are detox signs. I know the headaches aren't allergy related because my histamine drops that take allergy headaches away aren't taking these headaches away.

For lab work we're just going to do a cbc, metrabalic profile, and an RBC Elements test. Instead of doing to the toxic metals test we'll just go by improvements seen for now. He said if I stay on a low dose of tddmps we can probably go every 6 months for lab tests, but if I increase the dosage then he for sure wants the tests every 3 months.

As for the cbc and metabalic profile there were no major concerns. My RDW was a bit low and my level for my liver had dropped by 1, but we're still in good shape on that.

He was concerned with my low iron level. He gave me a script for ferrous sulfate. Can anybody give me the scoop on that? Good or Bad? He said Chlorophyll does the same thing, but didn't sound to hip on that. Probably because you have to make sure your taking a pure source without mercury, etc. in it. The appt. went really good and I'm just going to keep chelating.

Carolyn

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forgot to add that my doctor said my potassium, sulfur, and zinc levels are a little lower than he'd like to see them. He was okay with the 90 mg of zinc I've been taking. I was really scared to do it on my own, but I wasn't going to pay extra for a phone consultation of just one question so I decided to go ahead and bump it up to 90 mg as I could tell I was too low on zinc and also had the zinc serum test. He said for now we'll just stick with the 90 mg of zinc, but may have to eventually add more along with extra potassium and sulfur. What are foods that are high in potassium and high in sulfur? They don't have to be the same foods.

Carolyn

Carolyn.

Sorry I don't have any answers for your questions...but just wanted to say how happy I am for you and all the success you are finding. I have enjoyed reading your posts here and at Brain Talk - and am so glad that you are doing so well. Thank you for continuing to update.

Carolyn,

Glad you are doing so well (from scanning a few posts). I wanted to comment on chelation, iron and zinc.

Chelation

I am glad to hear that you are chelating--I see metals as having such an impact. I understand that chelation pulls out zinc, so good to watch those levels. Also, I read to be careful that you don't give zinc at the same time as the chelator. I like Andy Cutler's method of chelation best, and almost did it but we are going to do Pfeiffer's MT promotion first. Andy really likes a greater frequency.

Zinc

Anyway, re supplementing the zinc, we did 50 mg for our son, per Pfeiffer's instructions, and after 6 months it had actually dropped, and then we bumped it to 70 (per Pfeiffer) and after 3 more months was almost no impact -- he was only at 84 per Labcorp, lower than they wanted for MT promotion where they want zinc at 120 (their way of getting out metals, which also depletes zinc). But guess what, after 6 more months on the zinc his went to 180!! (normal is up to 150). I just found out and will talk to Pfeiffer this week as to what we will do, e.g. stop supplementing at all, or do some low dose as we start MT promotion. This just reemphasizes the need for regular testing when doing significant doses--we must really stay on top of things!! In any case, his growth and resistance to illness has been terrific, but of course, I definitely want his zinc back in range as quickly as possible.

Iron

My son had low iron too and we supplemented 'chelated iron' for 3 months which had no impact. So our DAN doctor recommended ferrous sulfate--just like your doctor. Per his instructions, we got "Slow FE" brand, which was 50 mg of slow release a day. (Remember to others that my son had both low iron and low iron stores). Well after 6 months of this, his iron is right in the middle of the normal range...and his iron stores (ferritin) is just within the normal range, but at the low end. I will get guidance now as to whether we go to every other day now, or a lower dose or whatever. But it has made a huge difference in his energy.

Yeast

Just to confuse everyone, I now know that some doctors think yeast overgrowth, though not a positive thing, can be a necessary reaction of the body to too much mercury--keeping it from turning into the bad kind (I forget which is which, methylated, or organic mercury...) Anyway, food for thought, oh brother!! Of course, this is likely different from yeast overgrowth from antibiotics.

We just got back a ton of blood test results from Labcorp (via Directlabs, thanks Kim). He was normal in everything except zinc (high as mentioned). Though he still shows lead in his blood at 20 (Pfeiffer wants it to be zero). I am waiting for the hair metals test and still need to send in the urine/OAT/yeast test. Since we haven't done the transdermal glutathione, I don't know if we will get a false negative on mercury/lead (they showed high when he was doing glutathione). But I want a new baseline since we should be starting MT promotion in the next couple of weeks--which should help him excrete metals again, if Pfeiffer is right).

Question: Carolyn, Do you notice that you feel any different during the days you chelate? (Better or worse or just different).

Claire

Claire,

Can you tell me if you plan on doing the OAT/yeast through Direct/Metametrix, or Great Plains? I have the results from my 9 yr. old's Organix Dysbiosis Profile from Metametrix with a D-Arabinitol reading of 51. This puts him at almost the the 5th quintile and the edging the 80% reference interval. My Alternative Dr. said it is one indicator of a yeast problem, but we have not done any treatment for it yet. Just got the results back for a blood yeast, which was negative, as I had I expected, but Chemar had mentioned a blood test that was helpful for her son regarding overgrowth, so we did it.

I have not heard the theory that you mentioned, about the yeast/mercury connection, ie the yeast being a necessary or helpful thing?????? Is anybody recommending that yeast overgrowth NOT be treated?

As alway, it's great to read one of your informational posts!

Kim

Claire,

Thanks for all the great information. That's a big jump on the zinc. I'm going to continue to check it every 3 months. I haven't started taking any iron yet. My allergist said don't supplement iron and my chelation doctor said use this ferrous sulfate. What test did you use for your son that showed low iron? How low was he? I think the bad kind of mercury is methylated.

I feel better on the days I chelate. I have a lot more energy. I really can't say I've noticed tics change on chelation days. Though there has been one thing that I've seen with tics. On several times after applying the Transdermal DMPS I've noticed tics increase for a while. I guess I'm hoping this is a good sign. I kind of see it as the same thing as when kids with autism are chelating, stimming increases and then after a couple months things start getting better. They say that the longer that stimming lasts the more metals they have in their body.

The times where I'm off chelation are horrible. The weeks that I'm off go by so slowly. On the off weeks I've had really low energy levels and kind of moody which isn't like me. I'm assuming that's from redistribution of metals. I started taking acetyl l-carnitine to see if it would help with things.

Carolyn

Have you tried to leave Andy Cutler a direct message at his yahoo site about your reactions? I don't have the link anymore, but he answered my questions. I remember him saying to doing it on weekends and then take the week off, which is different from what you are doing of course--I assume your doctor has his twist on it.

Yeah, methylated mercury was the bad stuff, thanks.

My son's iron was:

Iron 26 [45-160 normal]

Iron saturation 8 [20-50 normal]

Ferritin 18? [20-200 normal]

Ferritin is iron storage.

By the way, 3 different doctors (2 alternative, 1 a general practioner], including an allergist, where concerned about his iron levels and wanted him to supplement. In fact I just read that supplementing lots of zinc (>100 mg) over a period of time can cause anemia. (see link below) I can attest to what a difference it made in his energy and mood. I think it is odd for a doctor not to recommend treating a known deficiency in something so well understood.

http://healthlibrary.epnet.com/GetContent....&chunkiid=21654

All this will probably be deleted later...you know me and posting info on my son!

Good luck.

Claire

Yes, I've asked Andy Cutler about my reactions. One thing I've learned is Andy is really against using transdermal dmps. He's fine with oral, but not transdermal. I like the transdermal because I can have some control over the dose I use and change it real easily which you can't do with oral. The doctor I use for the chelation believes in high doses for the most part.

Andy's schedule is 3 days on and 4 days off, but he said if you could do 7 days on and 7 days off and that would be even better. I've wondered if that's depleting my minerals to quickly and maybe I would do better with the 3 days on and 4 days off. The doctor had nothing to with the 7 days on and 7 days off. He actually wanted me to do it every other day using 50 drops.

My iron levels aren't comparable with your son's cause its a different lab. My iron was 781 and the reference range is 745-1050. Doctor's Data considers my level low iron even though its still in the reference range. My chelation doctor wanted me to supplement of course. My allergist said no, because it will constipate me and if it was any lower than that he would say supplement iron though.

Carolyn

I tried celery today! I gagged at first, but then I was okay with it. I feel a lot like a 2 year old learning to eat again because these things are normal foods to most 20 yr. olds. What really matters though is the steady progress I'm making. Its not instant changes, but small steady changes. Like when I first started eating bananas, my first time I only could handle 5 tiny bites. After a while I was able to eat a whole banana fairly quickly. That's the way every other food seems to be that I've tried.

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn,

Congratulations on trying new foods.

Re the iron and constipation, I believe that is why our DAN doctor recommended "SlowFE". It says on the package that is has been clinically shown not to cause constipation in the same way that other supplements do.

You might speak with your allergist about just taking it during your menstrual cycle...many women have low iron because of the blood loss then.

Per my call with Pfeiffer this week, I just started MT promotion, as will my son--they will mail the proper supplement (it is just a 'secret' combo of supplements in the right doses, but they require a prescription). Apparently Pfeiffer has shifted the program from 3 days a week (weekends) 4 days off, to every other day. They told me to continue supplementing his zinc, even though it is high, because MT promotion will bring it down as it attaches to the metals (7 to one or something).

Claire

Thanks Claire,

I'm going to just leave the iron alone until I see another RBC Elements test result. If its dropped even more then I'll supplement. Good luck to you and your son with the MT Promotion.

Carolyn

Hi carolyn

dont forget that Gentle Iron formula that I mentioned to you.

It is chelated iron at 25mg per day, and is in the form of ferrous bisglycinate and made by Solgar

Our doctor says it is by far the best iron supplement and has none of the side effects that can often come from iron supplementation

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Chemar, I won't forgot about the gentle iron. I'll be making my decision this month whether I'll add iron in.

Next week I'll be doing a cbc, liver, kidney profiles, and the red blood cell elements test. I'll be seeing my doctor after I get the results back in March. Hopefully I should have some results from the specs for everyone then. I have my energy back again. I like rice milk now and before it made me gag. I'm really glad I like it now because that gives me a substiute for milk. I'll update again after I get my test results back.

Carolyn

I am happy to see that you have a doctor that is testing your blood to make sure that the chelation is not taking a toll on your body. Hope only the best continues for you.

Andy