ACN Latitudes Forums

Help ...... New to tics and we are at breaking point?

My 10year old son has been ticcing for about 2-3 months now. It's a quite loud vocal tic where he sounds like he's starting a cough/throat clearing thing.

On some days it is constant, every 4 or 5 seconds. He doesn't do it when he's asleep or when he is really engrossed in something. He also didn't do it hardly at all when we went to see the consultant peadiatrician!

He told us it's a behavioural tic and he will grow out of it. But it's so draining to hear him doing it all the time. It must be so frustrating for him!, I can't bear seeing him like this.

What can we do??

We haven't had 1 single day without it since it began.

I have been there. We ARE there now. What I'm going to do, in addition to having him off gluten based on food allergy tests is listen to the test results and take him off dairy also. Have you had any food allergy tests done? There's a lot you can do to start there. In addition, you can get a hair test done to see if he's got heavy metal overload. We are doing this for our 12 year old now, too. I can get more info to you if you want. You are not alone!

• 2 weeks later...

The arrival of tics is the most difficult time and everything you read is likely to lead you to worse case scenario. I have a 9 year old who has had TS since he was 7, and just recently his 8 year old brother has developed a vocal tic.

Make sure you grab a copy of Sheila Rogers book, I think everyone should start there. From my experience, my son's tics are caused from environmental factors. Heavy metal toxicity was definitely a factor and once the aluminium was completely removed from his system he has improved significantly. We made sure his nutrients were balanced and then started investigating further. For us chemical sensitivity is the key for him. We cleaned up his diet, removed all chemicals from the house (definitely research toxicity in your home), bought a high quality air filters for his room and one for the main living areas. My son still tics, but they are so minor no one even knows he has TS and we have longer periods of no tics at all.

Now I'm starting again with my second son because every child is different and their triggers can be completely different. Learn as much as you can and read all that is available. ACN are amazing in what information they provide, so your in the right place and on the right path.

We are in exactly the same boat. My 2.5 year old daughter started with the throat clearing tic about 6 weeks ago and it's exactly the same, constant without many breaks at all. So worried about it all. We see her pediatrician again next week and then will follow up with an allergist and a naturopath. I'm not sure what to do but for now we are ignoring it completely and just praying it stops.

I'm not sure if this will help, but we were dealing with throat clearing since the beginning of allergy season, along with some mild movement tics. Both the pediatrician and allergist believed it was a combination of a tic and post-nasal drip. The throat clearing here was an every day occurrence but not constant - DS would go for several hours with throat clearing and then nothing for an hour or two (did not occur when happily pre-occupied or sleeping). We had been using Xlear nasal spray for a few months in hopes of staying ahead of an allergy induced flare. Another mom on one of the PANDAS/PANS FB pages recommended ACS Nasal, Extra Strength. I believed I ordered it through amazon (it's hard to remember, we've tried more than a few supplements/treatments). DS's throat clearing stopped within 24 hours (and we only started with 1 spray/day). We continue to use Xlear 2 x/day to try and keep germs out, and we use ACS nasal 1 spray twice a day. It's only been two weeks but so far it's been great. The rest of his motor tics are still present so maybe it was more nasal drip? But the throat clearing would increase with any anxiety. One of our cheapest and most effective supplements trials, I think it was around $15-$20.