ACN Latitudes Forums

Leg Muscle Pain

Hi Everyone,

I am wondering if muscle pain in the thigh/calf is common. I did read on one of the threads "joint pain", but this is definitely muscular. Last night my DS woke up at 1:30 a.m. crying that the muscles in his legs hurt. This is the 3rd time in 3 months this has happened & he has occasionally brought it up during the day.

Anyway, each time I have given him Motrin, rubbed his leg(s) and he will eventually fall back to sleep. It also seems like he has restless legs whenever this happens, his legs seem very "twitchy". Everyone keeps telling me it is "just growing pains" and not to overreact, but I just thought I'd ask & see if anyone here has experienced this.

Thanks,

Lynn

This has happened to us probably 10 times over the years, each time it was a night or two in a row and then stopped. His doctors always just said he was growing, too. Though it seems so extreme to wake from a sound sleep screaming about leg pain. I don't remember ever doing that.

I have restless legs every night. So annoying!

this is an older link that has come through the posts

i think there are a couple more,,,i try to find them later

http://www.pedneur.com/article/S0887-8994(04'>http://www.pedneur.com/article/S0887-8994(04)00034-7/abstract

http://www.pedneur.com

/article/S0887-8994(04)00034-7/abstract

for some reason it will not post again...

put the 2 parts together in the url

Edited by Fixit

Leg muscle cramps can be a sign of low potassium. Runners get this, I had this happen when I was pregnant. I am sure there are other causes- but just wanted to throw this out there...

Yes, also, thyroid problems can cause muscle pain.

My youngest son has had this exact leg attack at night about 4 times in the last year. I have asked every doctor, the forum and even the RLS website what to do. I have heard iron, magnesium, potassium deficiency, RLS, neuropathy, lyme, and I really don't know. If you find anything that helps please pm me.

He seems panicked when it happens and I have to rub his legs and scratch his legs and give him benadryl to calm down and get back to sleep. He describes it as tingling, itchy sharp pain that travels around his calves mostly, thighs too, but calves primarily.

I describe it as an attack because of the way he responds to the pain and the length of the episode is like 20 to 30 minutes.

I do more supplementing now of magnesium and vit-d. He has not had an attack (knock on wood) since about November so maybe supplements are helping not sure.

Hi Everyone,

I am wondering if muscle pain in the thigh/calf is common. I did read on one of the threads "joint pain", but this is definitely muscular. Last night my DS woke up at 1:30 a.m. crying that the muscles in his legs hurt. This is the 3rd time in 3 months this has happened & he has occasionally brought it up during the day.

Anyway, each time I have given him Motrin, rubbed his leg(s) and he will eventually fall back to sleep. It also seems like he has restless legs whenever this happens, his legs seem very "twitchy". Everyone keeps telling me it is "just growing pains" and not to overreact, but I just thought I'd ask & see if anyone here has experienced this.

Thanks,

Lynn

Weird but dd suffered through this for a while. She was b/t 2 and 3. Mentioned it to doctor and of course they replied growing pains. There were days that it wasn't as bad but there were nights where she was screaming!!! It came and gone for awhile till she was about 4/5 and it got worse. It spilled over to day time where her brother would be chasing her and she would need a time out because her legs hurt. She would take breaks because of pain. I got her allergy tested b/c of brother and milk and gluten were high. Since she has been off of that her leg pains went away. She will be 7 next month and ony had complains a couple of times due to weather and wheat. I thought I was going to lose my mind before. But this diet has defiantly helped!

Thanks for all of the replies. DS is currently on lots of supplements & a special diet. That was the first thing we changed when we realized he might have TS. He also had his Thyroid checked twice & it seems to be okay. However, it appears from his current blood-work that he might have a B12 deficiency. I have no idea if that could be related, will ask the doctor.

All his pediatrician says is "growing pains", but like fightingmom said, I never had growing pains that woke me up from a deep sleep & neither did my older son.

hugs2day - Your son's experience sounds exactly like my sons. His is mostly the calf, but seems to travel into the thigh a little bit. His also seems to last about 20-30 minutes, but then he has difficulty calming down & going back to sleep. Also, the first two times it happened I was able to just give him the Motrin, but the other night I ended up giving him Benadryl too just to calm him down. If I find out anything else I will PM you.

We have an appointment with Dr. T next weekend, I'll ask him about it too.

fixit - Interesting link. Thanks for sharing.

~Lynn

I just posted about my dd with the leg pains. It turns out she is double jointed ( hyper mobility syndrome). She had the exact symptoms every lists above. And that is the cause of her being double jointed. I just wanted to throw that in just in case.