ACN Latitudes Forums

Sleep still horrible

Oh, Lily, I feel your pain. I have a son with severe sleep issues, too. His are due to Bipolar Disorder. We have had great success, better at some times than others, with Trazadone. It is a prescription. Have you tried that?

I can tell you this, though. When my son becomes consumed by thoughts of Christmas (an annual obsession which begins in November,) nothing seems to help. Even the heavy-duty stuff, like Seroquel, doesn't induce sleep. I've seen him up for 36 hours straight! It is awful.

I hope you find some fresh ideas here. I might, too! :)

Thanks tired mama. Does the trazadone HAVE to be given EVERY night or can it be given as needed?

Good question, Lilly. I'm not sure, but my guess is that it could be given safely and effectively as needed. I have two kids, both have been using it for years--ds17 for nearly 10 years, dd11 for nearly 5 years. We've been able to stop abruptly to try something stronger during severe periods, so I know the children do not become addicted/dependant upon it. I like it for several reasons: reliable, inexpensive, no morning hangover. It makes my kids tired, but doesn't "drug" them--they can still wake up to use the bathroom in the night.

Like I said before, the only downside appears to be its lack of effectiveness during exacerbations--when you and your child need sleep the most. But, then again, I've yet to find any product that can sustain us through those times. Also, it seems that my kids' systems get used to Trazadone every couple of years. And, the same with Melatonin. So, I tend to switch off between the two when one loses its punch. However, if we do need to take a break from Trazadone, in 6-12 months, it does work again.

I hope this helps. I sure hope you find something that works soon. I know how hard it is to be a good mom in the middle of the night.