ACN Latitudes Forums

confused about ordering MTHFR mutation test

My understanding is that the pairing up of the B12 and Folate doesn't happen so the the chemical reactions further up the chart do not take place. B-12 and Folate are on the bottom tier and start the whole chemical cycle into action.

Both my kids tested off the chart high levels of folate and B12. This indicates they are not being married for purposes of starting chemical reaction - methylation. Our doc has a great book out on it but not as in depth as my notes from office visit. So, not sure the answer about if it stops it or reduced it - I was under impression it didn't take place in our situation.

Met with our LLMD today and here's his take on the subject-

If you have a mutation, your methylation at that point in the cycle is probably compromised/inefficient but probably not non-existent. The degree to which it's compromised is unknown and probably highly individual (it would also be effected by other mutations you might have).

If you test high for B12 or folate and you know you have an MTHFR mutation, you're probably not methylating properly and it's pooling up instead of being used. So supplementing with methylfolate and/or methylcobalmin (B12) would be appropriate.