ACN Latitudes Forums

"Vision Therapy" Anyone tried this?

Tracey111

I have found a DR in Florida who does vision therapy. I am wondering if there is anyone out there who was tried this. My son has a lot of trouble reading....and it appears to me that his main problem is actually seeing the letter on the paper....anyone?????

I have found a DR in Florida who does vision therapy. I am wondering if there is anyone out there who was tried this. My son has a lot of trouble reading....and it appears to me that his main problem is actually seeing the letter on the paper....anyone?????

Hi we have tried sevel different Vision therapies currently we are using prism glasses do they help? Well Imnot sure cause we deal with different stuff I know my son looks to wear them so They must make him more comfortable. I think any thing is worth a try I know they are expensive I think they were 400.00 and I didnt get insurance to cover them

Good luck

• 8 months later...

We did this for a while 1 time it was called empowered learning Good concept but I think it was a sales thing we did it for a year it cost 6,000 dollars Then we did a simular thing with a reputablr md we purchased glasses too .I think the idea is great I know theres science behind it.It gets expensive but hey what do you have to loose?

Melanie

• 4 months later...

I don't usually post over here but i just wanted to see what was going on on this front

I did the BrainBalance program...i know some have had great success...i went maily for DS tics but he does have adhd...

i would say after the progam compared to now his tics were better at that time...but i thnk i am batlleing an immune problem an that is what is making him worse

However his adhad seems alot better!!!

I notice when i did the eye exerciese at home his eyes couldn't seem to track a pencil....so eye exercies combines with other physical exercises seemed to help...they also did something with colored lights in his left eye....their premiss is a brain hemisphere inbalance which,, as to my boy being a little better at focusing could be

I tried it and nothing happened. You hold up a Finger and look at it and then you look in the distance and back again and then from side to side and up and down. There is the Possibility of getting an Lazer Operation to Correct your Vision ,I have been thinking about getting it done but afraid to. The Russians were the First People to carry out these Operations first. They do not work for everybody. They cost around € 900 Euro per Eye, worth checking out. I have heard good things about this Operation so far.If you are to Young they might not do the Operation.

My son did Vision Therapy for about 5 months. We went to a doctor in Wisconsin who diagnosed him with ocular motor dysfunction and convergence insufficiency. We stopped because we did not see any improvemnt and insurance stopped paying for it. I also talked to a doctor who told me that until I got the metals cleared he would not do well with this therapy. I dont know if it would help your child. This is just our situation.

• 2 weeks later...

This post really interests me since my son has visual motor integration delays and perception issues with duplicating objects. His propriosensory system is showing signs of delays. The school OT who evaluated him said she recommends we seek visual therapy. We have eye med insurance but it seems the only two local visual therapists don't take it. Is it worth it to pay out of pocket for vision therapy? My son is way behind in this area even after several years of OT both private and in school. He wears glasses but for a straining eye not poor vision. It is amazing he has not shown any improvement in this area with all the therapy we have done. Both his therapists are aware of his vision delays. He did have metals in the DAN testing we did. I had no idea that could affect his vision. I wonder if the delays are from his basal ganglia being affected from PANDAS or tourettes or ADHD? His fine and gross motor skills are also behind. How common is visual motor delay? Next month we do a PET scan and maybe something will show up in the basal ganglia like inflammation that could be affecting his motor skills.

My son did Vision Therapy for about 5 months. We went to a doctor in Wisconsin who diagnosed him with ocular motor dysfunction and convergence insufficiency. We stopped because we did not see any improvemnt and insurance stopped paying for it. I also talked to a doctor who told me that until I got the metals cleared he would not do well with this therapy. I dont know if it would help your child. This is just our situation.

• 1 month later...

Hi Michelle,

Vision therapy can be hit or miss depending on if the individual has challenges in the systems which support vision (vestibular/balance, muscle tone, etc.). Some kids do great with vision therapy, and others don't seem to benefit at all (or occasionally seem to regress). It is important to make sure that other areas of functioning are supported, to enhance visual functions. Otherwise, it can become a skill the kids can learn to do cognitively (i.e. visual tracking) but may not become an automatic process (which is what we want). You might check out some of the info available on the HANDLE Institute's website, www. handle. org. There are free handouts and info available, and a list of Practitioners in various areas. Vision is an important area to consider with any kind of learning or developmental challenge, but it does not function in isolation.

Cheers,

April

• 2 months later...

Hi,

We used vision therapy when my son was in 4th grade, and afterward the headaches that he used to get while trying to read completely disappeared. He need to learn to have his eyes track, change focus from near to far smoothly

and work together binocularly so I did daily exercises with him which were prescribed by the doctor for about 13 weeks. It was very hard for him, but we found it to be well worth it. I think that it depends on your doctor as well as whether the child has other issues going on.

Phyl

• 2 weeks later...
Guest hannyflow

My son was diagnosed with ADD. The task lasted for hours and it was the professor in question, since it does not seem to be paying attention at school. Never read alone, either. My friend told me to bring to an ophthalmologist who does Vision Therapy. The doctor told us he had difficulty using the eyes together. The problem is that our insurance does not cover the therapy and could not afford on our own. So I did some research online and found a site where you can do online. We have not finished the program, but we have noticed improvements in their reading. This is not as stable or as stuttery. And the task is going fast and there are no more independent from it. Therefore, I realize the changes in Nice.

• 8 months later...

Hi guys...I think this post is very interested me.. I think it was a sales thing we did it for a year it cost 6,000 dollars Then we did a simular thing with a reputablr md we purchased glasses too .I think the idea is great I know theres science behind it.It gets expensive..........

have a good day.......

regards.

kumkum

• 8 months later...