ACN Latitudes Forums

Tonsillectomy

We had tremendous sucess with the T&A in November for my severe PANDAS son - we were on Cefdinir right up until the surgery - got IV abx during the procedure and were on Augmentin post-op. He came out of surgery 100%. He developed 1 new tic 2 weeks post op when we tried to lower the Augmentin dose (immediately brought it back up).

Unfortunately, about 6-7 weeks post-op he contracted strep again, and has had it 4 positive cultures since the first of the year.

While his recovery was short lived - I would ABSOLUTELY do it again in a heartbeat - it helped us remember what "normal" was for our son - something we hadn't seen in over 2 years!

My son just had his T & A three weeks ago. He went back to school a week later. Luckily my surgeon is knowledgeable abour pandas and had my son on iv antibiotics during surgery and augmentin after surgery. My son is now on zithromax three times a week for strep prevention. By the way 2 days after surgery his tics were gone, the surgeon thinks the strep was hiding in his adenoids. In my opinion if your child is having symptoms of pandas/ pans and still have their tonsils and adenoids I would seriously consider this surgery.

Are you concerned about him getting strep while at school? This is my biggest fear. We want to have them done now. We have a May10th appoint. but If she goes back after one week and has 4 weeks left of school she could get exposed. This why we are debating holding off until June although we really want some relief now.

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter started clindamycin 6 days ago to have 10 days before her tonsillectomy. She broke out in a rash all over her back yesterday. We are thinking it might be the clindamycin. Which means she can't have that now for her IV abx during surgery. I was curious what type of iv abx your children had during surgery. Thank you.