ACN Latitudes Forums

Omega 6 & Omega 3 imbalence

CSP

Hi all,

I wanted to get some feedback on this subject.

I have for the summer tried to lower the intake of omega 6 fats in our son's diet. I thought since most of us can not load our kids up on fish oil to balence these fats I thought I would try through diet and the small amount of salmon oil he gets to see if there would be any help.

So far this has been the best Aug. he has had in 4 years. I can tell you all that when my son gets up out of bed you know when he is up because the vocals start. But for the past few weeks, and I would even say a month or two I have not been able to tell who is walking around upstairs in the morning.

Some times he is standing right in front of me looking for breakfast and I'm shocked he has made no noise.

What I wanted feedback on was omega 6 as an inflammatory fat. What is this fat doing to the brain if it is dominating over omega 3's. I'm looking for info on omega 6 being an enemy to the brain.

I'm looking to see if there is any research on omega 6 and brain degeneration (for alzheimers) mental deterioration in kids.

I have been looking into the genetic component of TS and was very interested in lowering the chances of any of my children passing down the gene. Dr. Shaw at the conf. in Texas stressed fish oil. I have also been looking into the neuroligcal dysfunction tied to free radical damage. From what I understand what Dr. Shaw is saying is through diet, (esp. fish oil and antioxidants) the gene may remain dormant and harmless.

Just to give you all an idea on what I have taken out of his diet that had large amounts of omega 6 is salad dressing. Chips fried in safflower oil and sunflower oil.

He is taking salmon oil daily and eating salmon twice a week.

If anyone has any studies on omega 6 and could post here that would be great. I find it so helpful when all of you post because sometimes I can't find anything on the computer.

Thanks

CP

hi CP...so glad to hear that vocal has let up for your son

after my son was dx with Crohn's we were advised to stop giving him any additional omega6 supplement and also to try to avoid it in foods. It is pro-inflmmatory in the body's defense mechanism, which for any autimmune issues like crohn's, PANDAS, etc is something you dont want

so we eliminated omega 6 wherever possible as well as adding more anti-inflammatory supps and foods to son's program.

we know for a fact his tics have reduced since he adopted an anti inflammatory diet and supps! plus that it has helped his crohn's stay subdued

I cant search now but I know there are published papers on omega 6 promoting inflammation

So, what we're saying here is that Omega 3's are good, but Omega 6's may create an inflammatory response in the body? That is interesting. The one time I tried to get Grififn on omegas, it was with a fish oil supplement and he ticced more so I took him off of it. I have yet to put him on a flaxseed oil supplement but was wondering where that falls in the Omega categories?

So, what is high in Omega 6? I noticed safflower and sunflower noted. What about olive oil, almond oil, flaxseed, etc?

CP,

Yes, Suzanne Somers talks about limiting and avoiding Omega 6s for anti-aging and inflammation. Can't remember specifically. Have to pick up the kids in a few minutes but will get back to you. I will try to find the book and passage in my spare time (ha!).

We do high fish oils and limit the 6s. I can't remember where I read it, but somewhere I ran across an expert saying that our modern diet is way to high in them and that most folks are imbalanced. I will look into it more later when I have a chance. Been a very busy summer. We did a lot of traveling and renovating and have finally got the boys all settled at school.

So happy to hear that things are going great. At some point we will have to compare notes since the conference. I've been meaning to get back in touch for a while.

So glad things are on the up and up!

Caryn

This is exciting can't wait to hear back form you guys.

Bonnie, I did not mention corn and soy because we don't use them but they are high too. Soy does have omega 3 too but omega 6 is higher. flax has more 3 then 6 and olive oil is low in 6. I don't know about coconut oil can't find that one. But the 2 oils I have been using is coconut in baking and olive in cooking.

If anyone can find out if the inflammation can change the behavior of neurotransmitters that would be interesting reading.

CP

I'll just throw in that I pretty much use only olive oil in cooking. I can say I don't like anything soy or corn as that does seem to have adverse effect on my son re tics, so I'd guess the corn oils and soy oils are probably yuk as well. Iinterestingly, I have been giving him more Utz potato chips now that I have been revisiting our no corn and corn syrup restrictions, and they use pure cottonseed oil...so I'd be interested if cottonseed oil is an omega 6? our vocals have calmed slightly maybe in frequency, but are still very apparent, kind of sharp, if you will ^_^, so I'll keep my eye on this thread, perhaps we are not so balanced in that area. fish and flax seem to increase tics for us too, and when I say tics, I'm pretty sure its usually the vocal. so this gives me food for thought. :P:mellow:

Faith

I'll just throw in that I pretty much use only olive oil in cooking. I can say I don't like anything soy or corn as that does seem to have adverse effect on my son re tics, so I'd guess the corn oils and soy oils are probably yuk as well. Iinterestingly, I have been giving him more Utz potato chips now that I have been revisiting our no corn and corn syrup restrictions, and they use pure cottonseed oil...so I'd be interested if cottonseed oil is an omega 6? our vocals have calmed slightly maybe in frequency, but are still very apparent, kind of sharp, if you will ^_^, so I'll keep my eye on this thread, perhaps we are not so balanced in that area. fish and flax seem to increase tics for us too, and when I say tics, I'm pretty sure its usually the vocal. so this gives me food for thought. :P:mellow:

Faith

So, if fish and flax increase tics for you...where would you go about getting more Omega 3's? I'm assuming that eating salmon would be helpful. Would primrose oil do the job, as well?

Now, I have to start reading labels for something new. I never considered the fat balances but I can see how this would be beneficial to overall health regardless of whether he had tics or not. I have my husband on fish oil pills and he swears that they make him calm and help with his joint pain!

Bonnie,

I think you could try the flax oil if you havn't done so before. it may not have any adverse effect. I just don't give either right now, but I wish I could. I think CP may be on to something in that at least if you can't give MORE omega 3, then at least try to DECREASE the omega 6. ..... i think.... :o

Faith

Hi all,

I wanted to get some feedback on this subject.

I have for the summer tried to lower the intake of omega 6 fats in our son's diet. I thought since most of us can not load our kids up on fish oil to balence these fats I thought I would try through diet and the small amount of salmon oil he gets to see if there would be any help.

So far this has been the best Aug. he has had in 4 years. I can tell you all that when my son gets up out of bed you know when he is up because the vocals start. But for the past few weeks, and I would even say a month or two I have not been able to tell who is walking around upstairs in the morning.

Some times he is standing right in front of me looking for breakfast and I'm shocked he has made no noise.

What I wanted feedback on was omega 6 as an inflammatory fat. What is this fat doing to the brain if it is dominating over omega 3's. I'm looking for info on omega 6 being an enemy to the brain.

I'm looking to see if there is any research on omega 6 and brain degeneration (for alzheimers) mental deterioration in kids.

I have been looking into the genetic component of TS and was very interested in lowering the chances of any of my children passing down the gene. Dr. Shaw at the conf. in Texas stressed fish oil. I have also been looking into the neuroligcal dysfunction tied to free radical damage. From what I understand what Dr. Shaw is saying is through diet, (esp. fish oil and antioxidants) the gene may remain dormant and harmless.

Just to give you all an idea on what I have taken out of his diet that had large amounts of omega 6 is salad dressing. Chips fried in safflower oil and sunflower oil.

He is taking salmon oil daily and eating salmon twice a week.

If anyone has any studies on omega 6 and could post here that would be great. I find it so helpful when all of you post because sometimes I can't find anything on the computer.

Thanks

CP

I normally post on the Pandas forum but the Omega 6 title caught my attention. I just read a really interesting article in the September issue of Prevention on this very subject. Here is the link:

http://www.prevention.com/cda/article/the-....basics/0/0/0/1

If the link doesn't work, you can access the article on the magazines website, click on current issue, and then September 2009.

It will be interesting to see what other's find.

Sam

thanks Shaesmom, the link works. It answered my question re cottonseed oil in my potato chips. :o

I'll copy part here for quick reference:

3 Easy ways to increase omega-3s:

The competition of omega-3s and omega-6s is happening all the time, not just when we take our fish oil capsules. The best way to ensure you have a healthy balance of essential fats is to have a source of omega-3s--and not too many omega-6s--at every meal.

1. Eat More Greens

Leafy greens, legumes, and potatoes have a better balance of omega-3s to omega- 6s than most seeds and grains. Omega-3s live in leaves as the omega-3 ALA (alpha-linolenic acid). Animals (like us) cnvert ALA into even more dynamic omega-3s: EPA and DHA. This conversion is somewhat inefficient, however, and that's why the next steps are so important.

2. Eat Healthier Meats

Cows raised on grass produce meat, milk, and cheese with many more omega-3s than their corn-and soy-fed counterparts. Chickens fed a diet rich in flax and greens produce eggs that are as high in EPA and DHA as many species of fish. Some would argue that grass-fed meats are more expensive than grain-fed, but the former come without the very steep medical price tag of a diet high in omega-6s.

3. Eat Fish

Fish can also be a sustainable part of our new diet, as moderate fish consumption will be more effective when our diet has fewer omega-6s. Try to eat at least two meals of fish per week. Fish oil supplements can also help, as toddler Lisa's mother found, though they're not a long-term solution to this widespread nutritional deficiency.

]10 Easy Ways to Reduce Omega-6s:

Very simply, we must decrease our consumption of omega-6 oils. Snacking on seeds, edamame, and whole foods is still healthy. But cut back on processed foods, which are high in omega-6-laden seed oils. At home, cook with oils and fats with a healthy balance of omega-6s to omega-3s. A few oil seeds--canola and flax, for instance-- have a very favorable ratio of the two families of essential fats, and they can be used by themselves (canola) or in combination with other oils (flax) to change the balance of omega-3s to omega-6s. Mix flax and canola with any of the other seed oils (corn, safflower, etc.) to produce a healthy blend. If you're curious about olive oil, it's still fine to use, as it's not high in omega-3 or omega-6s; it's fairly neutral. Other steps:

1. Replace processed cereal with cereal or oatmeal that contains flaxseed.

2. Make your own salad dressing with a mix of canola and olive oil.

3. Eat less fast food because it's all very high in omega-6 seed oils.

4. Look for potato chips that are fried in canola oil rather than cottonseed, soy, safflower, or sunflower oil.

5. Substitute walnuts for other nuts when you can because they're a seed that's high in omega-3s.

6. Make your own baked goods, replacing half the butter with canola oil.

7. Check food labels to avoid hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils.

8. Avoid omega supplements that contain both omega-3s and omega-6s. You'll see these labeled with terms like Complete Omega.

9. Choose grass-fed pork, chicken, beef, or bison whenever you can.

10. Avoid farmed fish because they are often fed corn and soy.

fly by posting as I am hectic here

mrsD has an excellent thread on the supplements forum at NT on the various Omega fatty acids etc

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/showthread.php?t=6092

The more I learn about inflammation the more I am beginning to realize how many diseases it plays a primary role in

almost seems to me that, where the inflammatory response was designed as a primary defense mechanism in our bodies, yet we are living in a world where it gets so over triggered by all the ick that goes into us and surrounds us, that it flares out of control and leads to disease. I read a lot on PD and Alzheimers too about inflammation being a baddy there.

as an aside, my son uses more ginger as an anti-inflammatory, in food now too, and I read the other day that ginger has been found to help reduce the neurotoxic effects of MSG

Thanks faith that was helpful, and thanks to shaesmom too.

Well I think this is a great topic not only for our kids but to help prevent or even reverse mental decline in us all as we age. I don't know about you all but the very first supp. my son's Dr. wanted him to take was fish oil with high amounts of DHA. If DHA is the king of the brain fats and has a powerful effect on the brain cell membrains then the omega 6's would have some bad effects on the brain cells do to the inflammation. (killing them off so to speak) Those of us who went to the Tex. conf. saw photos of brains that lost cells and these were folks who died with mental loss.

i have read the the DHA fish oil can boost serotonin in the brain and too dopamine. (this could be the reason so many ts kids have trouble taking fish oil.) What I would like to know is has anyone put their child on the fish oil and kept them on it even though the tics increased. I was hoping to get feedback if the serotonin after some time on the fish oil out produced the dopamine (if you know what I mean) Then the tics would slow or the OCD type tics slowed? The idea is that the production of serotonin is more like building serotonin factories in the brain, not just more serotonin in the brain. (Dr. Hibbeln) He also says, but I need to research more on the bad hormonelike substances (cytokines) do to inflammation. I'm looking into the high levels of the hormone (cortisal) sp? in the brain do to stress. I know we touched on this hormine being bad for tics. DHA fish oil can dampen this brain distroying inflammation. I'm not sure I understand the Drs idea on the good fat making the membranes flexable so as to help the neurotransmitter wiggle into their spot in the brain. Verses bad fats making the membranes stiff making it hard for the neurotransmitters to get in therefore; they are lost.

I know many of us are looking for ways to help our kids with school, and I feel this is a real good start to building better brains for them. We need to increase the omega 3's and lower the foods high in omega 6's so the omega 3's can get to work and stop being choked out by the omega 6's.

I would love to know if there is a study on a rise in learning disabilities as a result in a drop in breastfeeding to bottlefeeding. I know in the mid-sixties my mom bottle fed me and I hated fish never at it. DX with dyslexia in college.

CP

Well, this is a bit OT for the fish oil talk here but I know that our naturopath has Grif on PS 100(phosphatidylserene) to improve brain function. Apparently, the PS100 helps to minimize the effects that cortisol have on the brain and on the stress reaction created in our bodies by the cortisol release. We have him on 200 mg of PS 100 right now and I know that Carolyn has her son on this supplement, as well. I wonder if this supplement does something similar to the cortisol as the Omega 3s?

Any thoughts?

Has anyone looked into Bontech Supplements for the Omega-6 and Omega-3 imbalance?

I found ts-PLUS EPA/DHA fish oil at www.Bontechstore.com.

I also found information at bonniegr.com for bontech supplements.

Having friends and family with related disorders, I am looking for some good advice on the subject of functional nutraceuticals; I am a heavy investor into functional life products and would love any insight.

Thanks,

JS