ACN Latitudes Forums

Lyme story

On Wed, my mom found my dad unresponsive. A CAT scan was normal. A lumbar puncture for cerebrospinal fluid revealed an infection and was sent for culture. He was diagnosed with bacterial meningitis. He was started on multiple IV abx. He remained unresponsive for 24 hrs. For the next 24 hours, he had impaired mental capacity and was being a real stinker of a patient. He has no memory of it. Today, he is back to himself and being moved out of ICU to a regular bed for several more days of IV abx. The cerebrospinal fluid culture came back today. He has Lyme bacteria in it. He has Lyme disease. Back in Sept, I finally convinced him to do the IGenex test. Took me a year. He was CDC/Igenex negative but had many indeterminate bands and 41+. There is a lesson in all this. In the meantime, Lyme disease nearly killed my dad.

Amazing that the hospital even thought to look for lyme. Hopefully this gives his doctors some pause for thought. Glad he is doing better.

He should probably be tested for coinfections or at least clinically diagnosed and receive further proper treatment by an LLMD/LLND.

It's going to be a real challenge to get hm further treatment. Orders will be written for him to go to the local hospital for doxy injections twice a week but I don't know for how long. He lives in a state where I'm not sure any cases of lyme were reported by the CDC last year. I don't beleive there is an LLMD I the state, Oklahoma. I don't know if I would be able to talk my parents into traveling out of state or spending out of pocket money. They are retirees. My dad is 76. I think he also has bartonella but he was IGenex negative.