ACN Latitudes Forums

Do SSRIs ever have *lasting* ill effects, even after stopping taking?

I've had OCD for several years and, after trying all kinds of things without success, I'm considering taking SSRIs, but there's one question I feel I need an honest answer to first.

Are they ever known to make OCD symptoms worse permanently, or otherwise cause lasting problems that continue after you've stopped taking them? If so, how rare is this?

I know SSRIs sometimes make symptoms worse at first, and that if you're unlucky and they don't suit you they sometimes just make symptoms worse and stay worse until you stop taking them. If that was all, well, they say you can survive three weeks without food and three days without water. (I'm not being facetious; not long ago there was a period when my OCD actually prevented me from eating.) But if it might not necessarily clear up when I stopped taking them, then that's rather different - I don't really feel I can risk that, my OCD's so severe at the moment that any more might become unlivable. Does anyone here know whether that ever happens? If so, how rare is it?

Many thanks in advance,

Wombat140