ACN Latitudes Forums

salycitates? Feingold diet

art

I think my son is sensitive to food with salycitates but i cant find a list of foods containing sals. Im thinking of trying the feingold diet to take the guess work out of all this. Anyone have good experiance with this diet? Im wasting a lot of money on food and vitamins that contain sals.

art-

I found a couple of good lists a couple of years ago just by doing a Google search. Lately, we've been re-introducing salicylates into our sons' diets and are finding that digestive enzymes can help the body cope with salicylates. Read "Enzymes For Autism" if you want to learn more or visit Houston Neutraceuticals' website.

The Feingold book "Why Can't My Child Behave?" was our introduction to the Feingold program. The program works well for us, except for me because I can eat salicylates all day long and not suffer. But with packaged food, I prefer Feingold approved food because it contains no artificial colors, BHT, BHA, TBHQ or such; some of those bother me. The artificial colors and preservatives can be more harmful than salicylates. Some chemicals like the propionate in bread can make people irritable and aggressive.

Good luck,

Frank

Art,

Inability to deal with salicylates is often a sulfation issue, and can be associated with low molybdenum.

Frank is correct in that Houston Nutriceuticals has a no-Fenol enzymes that can help with salicylates. We have a thread on this.

In the meantime, I posted this once from Kirkman's site (see below)--I think the low to negligible ones are okay to have. We don't watch salicylates in our home, so not an expert there.

Feingold has detailed lists of the preservatives--we just shop at Whole Foods, though it isn't quite the same, it works for us--and more choices, since we already must eliminate milk, wheat, and peanuts.

http://www.kirkmanlabs.com/products/enzyme...enol_bp835.html

VERY HIGH

Apricots

Berries and Cherries

Orange and Tangerine

Pineapple

Red grapes

Tomatoes

Peppers

Mint

Anise (licorice)

Olives

Dill

HIGH TO MODERATE

Apples

Grapefruit

Peach and mangos

Watermelon

Broccoli and spinach

Carrots

Lettuce and chinese vegetables (except iceberg/low)

Most nuts and seeds

Onion

LOW TO NEGLIGIBLE

Bananas

Pears

Cabbage

Celery

Potatoes

Fats and Oils

Sugars

Soy Milk

Thankyou very much for the responses and info. From what i gather from reading is, if i increase his raw veggy and fruit intake that will increase his enzymes naturally. Supplementing his enzymes will make that easier? Or should i disregard an increase in tics from fruit for the over all benefit that the fruit will ultimately bring? In other words cure the body and the body will cure the mind.

After speaking with his teacher yesterday I find that he has difficulty focusing and taking instructions. He is very well behaved, tries to do well, but i think his inabillity to focus is causing him stress. Is this something that an Amino acid sup might help with? I just started giving him DHA Junior by Nordic naturals. And a good Multi. He seemed to get the runs from DHA im not sure if that was caused by the strawberry flavoring. Thats the reason for the Sal question. Thanks Again

Hi Art,

You haven't given much history on your son. How old is he? Why do you think salicylates is an issue? Diarhea could be to the oil--it can act as a laxative a bit.

Have you seen if he gets diarhea from a plain strawberry?

There are two ways to assess sals and enzymes that I can think of...others may have other ideas.

1. Eliminate them all, look for improvement, then reintroduce and note reactions. If you see reactions, eliminate again, then add no-fenol enzyme from Houston Labs (or Kirkman has one) along with the sals and see if the reaction is still there.

2. Take the elisaact IgG blood test, which includes a test for sals. plus 150 individual food items (plus gluten/milk). Remove the foods on that list and look for improvement. If you sals are on that list and you removed them, after a month, add no-fenol enzyme from Houston Labs (or Kirkman has one) along with the sals and see if the reaction is still there.

I personally like the full IgG test because so many of us have uncovered foods that we didn't know were issues. If you can't afford testing, I think that milk and wheat elimination are worth testing too. They are large molecules, hard to digest for those with gut issues, and release dopamines (?) which can cause brain fog. Yeast can do this also, did you try the spit test?

I assume you have already gotten rid of all the artificial ingredients. I consider this a fundamental part of diet change, not just for Feingold, but for any child with tics or concentration issues.

If concentration is an issue, I recommend the pyroluriatesting.com test. 30% of those with ADD suppposedly have it. Does your child remember there dreams every morning? This is one indicator of short-term memory/concentration issues.

Of course, I am assuming that the issues re following instructions is more attention, and not some auditory processing issue. I would personally look at immune issues first before spending money on in-depth testing. Allergies can have a big impact on learning.

I am not big on labels, and reference ADD contributing factors only because anything known to help attention is a good thing to investigate, even if they don't exactly have ADD.

Good luck. The Omega 3's are a good step here. Other vitamin supplementation may be in order too.

Claire

Claire, my son is seven. I started the thread about tics and mold under the name arthur, guest. He had arm tics but has switched to a neck crunch tic. I thought it was from the way he was sleeping but now i realize its another tic. He has had regular testing& has been to the neurologist. Ive tried to keep sugar out of his diet along with preservatives and any other poison ( flouride, hair shampoo chemicals). Im trying to limit supps as much as possible so i dont stress him out to much. Ill introduce things slowly for that reason. Ive been on the computer as much as i can stand it, doing research. I did the spit test but nothing showed up (at home). I may try again. Im going to get primrose oil, and maybe a calcium/ magnesium sup.

Hi Art, Not much more to add... just that we have been on Feingold for about 5 years, with great success reducing tics. One daughter has sensitivities to sals, but we find if she mixes it up, she can handle them pretty well. For example, she might eat tomatoes (or tomato sauce) once a week, an apple once a week, some grapes one day, etc. She can do that with no problem, and seems to be able to tolerate more as she grows (she's 12 now). When she DOES overdo it, she has focus issues, gets kind of whiny, and tics.

We eat a lot of bananas, canteloupe, pears...

I certainly recommend Feingold. The folks there, and the printed materials, are a wealth of info.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff , we bought some pears but they were dried and i think drieing increases the sal content. It gets frustating some times. If we dont get some results soon ill get the feingold info. Ive found some supps for attention one was called ATTEND and the other was BRIGHT SPARK but i dont recall any one recommending them.