ACN Latitudes Forums

"Dental" probiotic s. salivarius (K12) for strep in mouth/throat/tonsils?

jan251

I can't believe I've never noticed these probiotics before. For example: Now Foods Oralbiotic Blis K12, Dental Biotic

Use of Streptococcus salivarius K12 in the prevention of streptococcal and viral pharyngotonsillitis in children

Streptococcus salivarius K12 is an oral probiotic strain releasing two lantibiotics (salivaricin A2 and salivaricin B ) that antagonize the growth of S. pyogenes, the most important bacterial cause of pharyngeal infections in humans also affected by episodes of acute otitis media.

Assuming the study was done by the manufacturer of the trademark Bactoblis, I am nonetheless intrigued. Has anyone tried these probiotics for preventing strep and/or for oral health?

Edited by jan251

I came across some good sources on this and discussed with ent who said it was a good idea...we've used "Great oral Health" brand oral probiotics for kids dental formulation.

I like this one bc it has more strains than this Now version. That being said, u should check w your doc bc there are some "good" strains of strep in the mix which might not be good for particular cases. Kids like taste too...