ACN Latitudes Forums

ASO strep test question

Hello! I haven't been around for quite awhile, but have a question regarding strep. My son's issues have been Lyme and co infections, so I'm not as informed on strep.

My niece had strep throat last month and since then is having extreme anxiety, OCD type. To me it seems classic PANDAS. My sister is open to the idea that this could be the case.

Since she just had strep last month though, the titer tests will all be high still right? Not showing if this is what's bothering her?

We don't have a PANDAS Dr in town, so my sister was hoping pediatrician could run some tests. But is it too soon to test with ASO Titer test? How can they determine if strep is triggering the anxiety?

Also, niece keeps saying her sides hurt and her sister is having bad stomach pains on and off for weeks. Both have been on 10 days abx for strep,yet still all this is happening.

Advice if anyone has any, please, thank you!

I would ask for both the ASO and the Anti D Nase B blood tests. A quick search here for some older threads will confirm this, but I think that the ASO is intended to catch a strep infection within the recent 2 to 4 weeks, and the Anti D test reflects a strep infection within the previous 4 to 6 weeks. Test 'em both for covering the bases, and it's still just one blood draw, anyway.

Best!

Thank you guys for your replies. My sister said niece's anxiety was very bad tonight. 🙁 I told her it would be good to ask for these tests and ask for more antibiotics. I wish her pediatrician knew more about this all. Every pediatrician should! With as many children that go through this that there are... every pediatrician needs to be educated!

My sister needs to find a PANDAS/PANS Dr. but right now I don't know if she's ready to do that (distance). She'll do anything, but is trying avenues here closer first.

Edited by stacestar