ACN Latitudes Forums

IEP suggestions for preschooler with OCD/TS

Hello.

I am preparing to go to an IEP for my 4 yr old son who has ASD (dxd july 2009) as well as OCD and TS (dxd little over 1 yr now). I'm desperate for any suggestions for services to request, strategies and accommodations specific to OCD/TS. He has been at the school for 1.5 years and the staff is clueless as to how to deal with his OCD and causing more stress on him. As a result of their ignorance as well as mine, he is suffering quite a bit in the school setting. I think what is being mistaken for ASD behaviors are part of his OCD behaviors and regardless of which the interventions being used are exaserbating his problems in class. ANY advice suggestions links etc. you can share would be truly appreciated!

Thanks! Amy

• 2 weeks later...

Hello.

I am preparing to go to an IEP for my 4 yr old son who has ASD (dxd july 2009) as well as OCD and TS (dxd little over 1 yr now). I'm desperate for any suggestions for services to request, strategies and accommodations specific to OCD/TS. He has been at the school for 1.5 years and the staff is clueless as to how to deal with his OCD and causing more stress on him. As a result of their ignorance as well as mine, he is suffering quite a bit in the school setting. I think what is being mistaken for ASD behaviors are part of his OCD behaviors and regardless of which the interventions being used are exaserbating his problems in class. ANY advice suggestions links etc. you can share would be truly appreciated!

Thanks! Amy

Hello.

Thanks! Amy

Amy -

My DS was diagnosed with OCD when he was 6, and there have been subsequent concerns about Aspberger's-type behaviors (we later discovered it was PANDAS, but the OCD remains a behavior we have to deal with, especially when it comes to school), so he was a little older than your son, but I think I have some idea of what you're going through. Is your DS currently getting any cognitive behavior therapy or exposure therapy for the OCD? If so, the therapist should be a good resource for some ideas with regard to what accommodations will help him in the school setting.

Given the combination of things you're dealing with (ASD, TS and OCD), the IEP accommodations are probably going to have to be really specific to the behaviors and his needs. Ideally, you'll want him to have some support without the staff aiding and abetting any rituals or obsessive behaviors his OCD wants him to indulge in, since indulging those is only likely to make them become more dominant in his daily life.

What sorts of OCD behaviors do you see that you'd like the IEP to help address?

• 1 month later...

Hello.

Thanks! Amy

I'm guessing that you may have already taken care of this, but if you are still needing suggestions, try the Occupational Therapy article by Tona and Posner that just came out in November. Although the article relates to PANDAS/PITAND, it has suggestions for what to do about OCD, since that is one of the symptoms that is prevalent.

http://www.aota.org/Pubs/OTP/2011-OTP/OTP-111411.aspx?FT=.pdf

The article starts on page 14, but the table for symptoms/suggested interventions is on page 17.

Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd suggest trying for a 504 plan for OCD. I've had one for years (I'm 17 and use it so I get more time on tests since I need to check things). 504's are a lot easier to maintain and for something like OCD you probably won't need as much help from conselours as kids with IEP's get.

READ THIS ~

http://www.nldline.com/iep_vs_504.htm

• 1 year later...

My 5 yo has been in a special ed pre-k setting for 3 years (getting ready to start K next year). He has a PANDAS dx, but his primary issue is the OCD. We have implemented a "safe place" technique into his IEP/accomodations. When the anxiety increases b/c he cannot comlete a ritual, or something is just "not right", he has the opporutnity to go to a special calm down place. The teachers do not "aide and abet" the rituals (like you're phrasing MomwithOCDson), but allow him to have to work through the anxiety. Admittedly - it didn't work well at first, but now it works great. He has labeled his OCD "Harvey" and now can tell the teacher that "Harvey is bothering him and he's going to his special place." He is praised and encouraged when he goes on his own, and is allowed to remain there until he's ready to rejoin the class. There are books and quiet activities there for him.

It's worked so well, we've already started planning with his new school for K as to how it can be implemented into the new setting.