ACN Latitudes Forums

paralysis: entero-virus, lyme, other, both, all?

stacestar

hi nicklemama, Yeah, I'm pretty sure they have been in contact with those people. The hospital where he is, I guess has one of the top ten neurologists in the US and my cousin made mention that they noted the similarities in the cases, etc. so I would bet they are doing those things. thanks for thinking of it too.

thanks also 911rn. I can't remember exactly or not if transverse mylitis was how they described it or not

On a postive note, my cousin has said that he is experiencing some movement in one arm and leg! he is about to start extensive rehab. and they are remaining hopeful there that he may get movement back! they really say, they just don't know, for sure. But we're remaining hopeful too. I think rehab. mixed with some alternative therapy ideas are promising.

Considering the timing, just thought I'd ask if he had any vaccines around this time frame (school about to start, flu shots being pushed for Fall) - even a few weeks before. I ask because a friend of ours (an adult) lost most of the use of both arms and much of his lung function (not sure if his lung collapsed or not) after an H1N1 flu shot a few years ago. He has regained most of the use of his arms but still only has partial lung function. If a vaccine was part of the picture, this doesn't give you an answer on how to treat, but would definitely be something to keep in mind in the future. Mainstream doctors would never ask this question or even entertain the idea that a vaccine could have this affect, but it happens.

When 911rn posted about Transverse Mylitis, it reminded me of something that I had read before too.

http://www.timescall.com/ci_19881252

Karen said Riley's doctors suspect the transverse myelitis was an adverse reaction to a flu shot and a booster for the Tdap -- tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis -- vaccine that Riley received a few weeks after taking antibiotics both for a bacterial stomach infection and for strep throat

Thank you again everybody for the well-wishes and prayers! We'll take all we can get in this situation!

As far as the questions with vaccines, I've had those same thoughts.

I've read/heard of cases too, like you're all mentioning, where vaccines can cause such damage, and it is that time of year for the flu shot, and boosters.

I would think though that with this enter-virus going around and the fact that so many of these cases seem to have started out as a respiratory infection and then in these rarer cases worsened, progressed, that it does seem like that enterovirus is involved. But who knows what may be the other common denominator is these children that is making, or causing, letting, the virus get to the central nervous system.

maybe it is that (entero) plus a vaccine reaction, or maybe it is enterovirus and another infection at the same time? or maybe that idea of enterovirus and pesticide exposures from an earlier link.

Whatever it is, to tell you the truth, the more children that are popping up with this, the most concerned I get for all kids in general. At first it was nine in CO, now…more each day. Just read an article about two in St. Louis; there are some in Canada, some everywhere really.

Not trying to be alarming or get people afraid, but as parents, it's scary to think there is something out there causing paralysis like this, and we don't really know why.

Being pro-active and trying to prevent is the best we can do.

Rowing mom sent (on an earlier comment) some links to vitamin C info., and I know so many other's here having been giving good ideas too.

praying that my cousin's son can beat this and that it all starts to wane in general and no more children are affected.

I'm wondering if Igenex can put a sort of rush on his testing or at least flag it as priority. I had a situation with one of my sons and I was able to call everyday to see where he was in the process. My doc got 5 minutes after the lab had finished results. Igenex staff is so kind and professional.

Has he had IV antibiotics? If so, what and how long?

Wishing your family the very best.

• 3 weeks later...

"But definitely something is different here. definitely. If it was JUST this virus, then why aren't all the children (thousands of them) experiencing paralysis? I pray answers are found."

Genetic variations/susceptibility, co-infections/hidden infections, environmental toxins, stress, nutritional status, other factors probably all play a role. It's like asking why only some people that get vaccines get Guillaine Barre and others don't. http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/guillain-barre-syndrome/basics/definition/con-20025832

It's a perfect storm of something going on. How do they know it's not a mutated polio virus? I'm also very suspicious of flu vaccines (with good cause).

My friend had Guillen Barre a week after giving birth to her first child after a c section. She had plasmapheresis and has recovered. After 12 years, the only lingering effects are some facial muscle weakness around her eye.

I remember she called me to come over a little over a week after the birth. When I got there she was upstairs lying in bed, very weak but didn't want to alarm her husband. She described what she was feeling and told me she needed me to go home and start googling. I didn't come up with Guillen barre because she failed to tell me it started in her feet and was moving up. I thought she might have MS. At any rate, her husband took her to the doctor and she was admitted after she started choking on nothing but her own saliva while talking to the doctor.