ACN Latitudes Forums

To Phyl

Guest Guest_efgh

Guest Guest_efgh

Phyl

thanks for your information on candida tests. What are the supplements that you give your son and since when has he been tic free? good to know about your son's improvement. Did you also give him omega 3 fish oil or flax oil?

Is he dairy free? If so, do you compensate for the calcium with Soy milk fortified calcium? How do you compensate for his "no dairy intake?"

the homeopathic drops which helped your son to clear off the yeast, was it recommended by your holistic physician or a specific homeopath?

thanks.

Guest Guest_efgh

Phyl

In addition to my previous questions, are there any specific foods that your son avoided to eliminate his yeast problem? If so, can you please tell those foods?

For how long did your son suffer from tics?

thanks.

Hi,

The homeopathic drops my son used were recommended by our environmental doctor. She is an MD, but is knowledgeable about holistic treatments and is also a DAN! doctor.

My son began to have tics that we noticed in 1st grade, but when I look back there were other things (like chewing on his clothes) from before then that could have been tics, but we didn't know anything about that then. He didn't show any improvement until the end of 5th grade, when the levels of his yeast/fungal and clostridia overgrowths plummetted. Now he's in 6th grade, and this fall I've only seen a few tics. We just got back the results of a January Microbial OAT panel, and I guess I'm not surprised that he still has some yeast/fungal overgrowth. Our doctor suggested that maybe the level goes up and down, so maybe that's why we only see tics sometimes.

My son did go dairy free for almost a year. I wanted him to do that because we observed that after eating dairy he would make a "hmmm" sound or some kind of throat clearing noises. Also, if he had anything with cream in it, he would react with a horrible throat gagging and other noises. Now, however, since this fall he's back eating lots of dairy and it doesn't seem to bother him anymore. It really makes me wonder about the connection between the level of yeast/fungal overgrowth or clostridia overgrowth and dairy.

For a while I had been giving him the oj with calcium, but he hated it, so I decided not to worry for now about compensating for calcium. He did grow to like Rice Dream which I think is fortified with calcium. He also took omega 3 fish oil (Bonnies) and flax oil per our doctor's advice. I also gave him other supplements in Bonnie's regimin, but for him I don't believe they make too much difference.

My son had lots of antibiotics as an infant/toddler for ear problems, so that is why I believe he developed these overgrowths. Does your child have a similar background?

Sorry, I forgot to add that our doctor never said that he should avoid certain foods while trying to get rid of the yeast. I did ask and she said he didn't have to restrict his diet. However, he still also avoids food coloring and msg as we have noticed that he does react badly to both.

Guest Guest_efgh

Thanks phyl for your useful replies.

My son had severe asthma/allergy as a child and so was on inhaled steroids from the time he was 3 years old. dont know if it could cause yeast problems. his asthma symptoms are better now but his tics have started bothering him. he had headshaking tics which were so constant for 3 months and now its gone and he has vocal tics (weird sounds, repeating words , etc). he tries to suppress in school probably till date... did your son's tics bother him at school? if so, how did you address the issue?

so has your son been relatively tic free for the past 1 year? could it be the usual prognosis for your son? (as per the statistics that the peak is at age 10 and then it begins to sort of subside)

is there TS in your family?

thanks.

Guest Guest_efgh

Phyl

sorry one more question. Is there any specific name of the homeopathic drops which you gave your son to remove yeast? for how long did you give it and what is it called?

thanks

Guest Guest_efgh

Phyl, any specific reason your doctor suspected yeast problems in your son? Was he having any other symptoms other than tics that hinted the doctor to check for candidas?

thanks.

hi again,

I don't know anything about whether the inhaled steroids could somehow cause yeast problems. Sorry to hear about your son's problems in school. My son seemed to supress his tics in school - no one ever said anything about them to me, but I remember watching him have lots of tics once during a school concert. He used to tic a lot in the car if I picked him up from school, so I figured he was releasing them then.

It's been less than 1 year since he's been relatively free from tics. Last year at this time, I thought I was noticing a lessening, but I was afraid to say so. It's only been since the end of this past summer that he's more or less stopped. We don't have any ts in our family, but we definately have obsessive compulsive behavior and anxiety, which can go along with it. While, as you note it could be "the usual prognosis", (that tics lessen after 10 years of age) I feel that reducing the fungal and bad bacterial overgrowths are what helped my son. Our doctor has had experience with this before and I trust her. I'm not sure what made her suspect the yeast problems for my son - maybe it was his history of antibiotic use, maybe it was that he also used to get nauseous often when he ate. I think that she orders the Microbial OATs panel often because it can detect many different things. Actually the regular OAT panel is even more inclusive - it includes the microbial portion along with other evaluations (and is more costly :( ).

Does your son still have allergies, even if his asthma is now better? Have you checked out hidden allergies as a possible irritant to his nervous system. My other son has allergies/asthma, so allergies may play a part in my 6th grader's system as well. It seems that allergies, like yeast, can exascerbate a tendency to have tics.

Hi Phyl,

You have posted some terrific posts--Thanks!

I didn't post on those threads because I didn't want to bury them--you bring fresh input to the board.

If your doctor was a DAN doctor, then my understanding is testing for yeast is part of the diagnostic protocol. My understanding is that "Leaky gut"/yeast type issues can also interfere with absorption of nutrients which can of course upset the nervous system and worsen allergies.

I get my son's results back tomorrow mid-day--I will post what we find out--they ran a ton of tests, including yeast and casein/gluten...

Claire

Guest Guest_efgh

Phyl and Claire

thanks for your infos. Phyl, you mentioned "hidden allergies". How do I test for them or know if they are the cause?

Are the doctors listed in www.acam.org also DAN doctors?? I am quite impressed with one of the doctors in my area whose name is mentioned in www.acam.org and hence was wondering if they would be experienced in all this stuff. (tics, allergies , leaky gut etc)

thanks

Guest Guest_efgh

Phyl

when your son had tics, did you inform about his tics to his school authorities.

To ALL

Can you suggest any good website which talks about tics in general which can be given to the school authorities so that they can get to understand the basics of tics which in turn may help our kids in school....

Jean

Great to know about your son's improvement.

You had mentioned you spoke to your school authorities on your son's tics - did you take any write up or did you just mention orally?

thanks.

To ALL

Can you suggest any good website which talks about tics in general which can be given to the school authorities so that they can get to understand the basics of tics which in turn may help our kids in school....

efgh

the Tourette Syndrome Association puts out some really useful leaflets and booklets for teachers to help them better serve a TS child.

There is a good section on their website on this.....you will find it at the top left of the homepage under Education & Advocacy.......just click on that and you will find some helpful info. You can order the booklets from them too..

http://www.tsa-usa.org

efgh,

I don't know if all the docs listed by acam.org are also DAN doctors. Our doctor is on the acam.org list. That's great that you have a doctor with whom you are impressed in your area who is on the list. Hopefully he/she would be familiar with tics/allergies/leaky gut/etc. Can you call first to check, or better yet speak with anyone who recommends him/her? When I mentioned hidden allergies I was thinking of Dr. Rapp's book, Is This Your Child? Hopefully, that doctor you mentioned could guide you with this.

When my son was having his worst tics, I did speak with our school guidance counselor and also the principal and his teacher. They were all very reassuring, probably because they knew that was what I needed most. They cited experience with other kids at school with tics (without naming names), and that not only surprised me, because I was unaware there were others before, but of course, made me feel less alone.

Claire,

Leaky gut/yeast issues that interfere with absorbtion of nutrients which then upset the nervous system and worsen allergies is a good way of describing the situation. Hope you find out info that is helpful today.

Guest Guest_efgh

Phyl

Nice of you to have responded in detail. the acam doctor is experienced with allergies but not with tics as such I think. He is the only one close to my place and I thought first I would go in person, discuss with him and get a feel of the whole thing and later take my son if I am impressed. Phyl, did your son have ADHD or OCD issues too?

Jean and Heather

How about your kids? do they show signs of restlessness, boredom, irritability or moodswings in general?? Heard its all a part of tics.. I notice that at times my son gets so upset easily for trivial things (probably the impact of his tics??).

A basic question to All

I have a doubt...

We all say leaky gut/yeast/allergies/heavy metals etc may increase tics, etc.. But how is it that tics appear almost at the same age for most of the children. Does it mean the leaky gut issues also become obvious only then??? The issues with leaky gut should have been there for years but why do we feel that they may be triggering the tics only at a particular age when they have been present all along??

Efgh,

My son has been pretty moody (or short temper) these days as he used to be a very happy child. Overall, he still is a happy boy, but easily to get distracted or board lately. It also could be the result of no computer, games, etc. I believe that he is aware of his tics but he doesn’t want to mention (or talk with us). In his night prayer, he said “thank you GOD for making me better, you know what…”. I feel that he avoided mentioning the word “tics”.