ACN Latitudes Forums

High Pitched Hiccup

ldesant

My daughter age 14yr10months has for the last 11 months had a high pitched hiccup. Usually it is just one, but it is a loud sweek noise (some say like a mouse :wacko: sometime is it two times per day and like tonight I have heard 4 over the past 6 hours.

She has been to a peds nuro she feels it is either tic disorder or stress (going thruogh divorce and death of grandmother in the past year). For the longest time we really thought it was just a normal hiccup, but the doctor does not think so.

SHe has no signs of any other disorder, is a great athlete, student and has no problems with friends. The dr. has ordered Clonidine half pill twice per day. I am afraid of the effects it will have on her with the sleep issues and lowering the blood pressure, she plays soccer on a club team and works out very hard. She has just started high school and am also worried about the drug affects during the day.

She wants to try this drug, because she is being known at school as "the girl who hiccups". Is there an herbal way to try this or supplements.

Anyone with ideas or help.

Hi ldesant & Welcome to the board :wacko: ,

I really would encourage you both not to resort to Clonidine for this tic that you usually only hear two times a day or even at 4 that you said in the last 6 hours. For being tics this seems awfully mild to me. Also it seems kind of strange in my opinion that the only tic like symptom she's experienced is a hiccup. Usually they change.

Maybe it is the stress, maybe there's something else that's triggering it. There's a tic trigger list here:

http://www.latitudes.org/articles/finding_triggers.htm

You're more than welcome to share this with your daughter. I'm 21 and have a Tourette's diagnoses. I was on clonidine for a good 10 years and came off of it almost 1 1/2 years ago. Clonidine makes many very drousy when starting it. I do know someone that was taking Clonidine for tics and their blood pressure got too low and they passed out so had to be taken to the hospital. To me being med free is the best thing in the world. I had very severe Tourettes growing up and all I knew was a medication world. It was take this and that all the time. To tell you the truth I was horribly embarrassed about taking meds in front of public as a child, and I always made my dad frustrated because I wouldn't take them in front of people at restraunts, etc.

I would try to find supplements that work for her, and I'm sure others will be around to suggest which ones are usually most helpful with vocal tics like this one. Explain to your daughter that often supplements can do just as much as meds without side effects and often better. Meds did nothing for me besides helping with the mood and causing horrible side effects. As far as helping with tics, nothing at all.

Carolyn