ACN Latitudes Forums

Disinfecting home after strep infection

What do you all do to disinfect after a strep infection?

I don't normally use chemical cleaners, but don't want to mess around with someone getting reinfected. Our entire family is on abx until Saturday. Do I wait until then to start the cleaning process?

Of course I'll be getting new toothbrushes and pastes. What about make up for me? (I have it as well). Seems like anything like that could be contaminated. Contacts?

What about those steam cleaners? Would thet work to disinfect?

Thanks for any advice

I wouldn't clean the carpets or anything like that right now. I read that's real bad for kids and put tons of germs and bacteria into the air. Carpets have their own ecosystem. I think that cleaning carpets is sometimes associated with Kawasaki's.

Someone said Dr Latimer said to do the bleach/water combo. I admit I do regular cleaners. Also, change bedding, sanitize stuffed animals they sleep with.

If you are using a humidfier for the bay's pneumonia, make sure you sanitize that too.

I wouldn't clean the carpets or anything like that right now. I read that's real bad for kids and put tons of germs and bacteria into the air. Carpets have their own ecosystem. I think that cleaning carpets is sometimes associated with Kawasaki's.

Someone said Dr Latimer said to do the bleach/water combo. I admit I do regular cleaners. Also, change bedding, sanitize stuffed animals they sleep with.

If you are using a humidfier for the bay's pneumonia, make sure you sanitize that too.

I would do bleach/water too, just make sure you vent the house. Don't forget the doorknobs, light switches, refridgerator handles, etc. I sent my kids around with Clorox wipes to get those, and I did the bathrooms... I was going to do the car too, but we run out of steam. I did get a steam mop for the tile/laminate floors.

I wonder does anyone know how long the strep bacteria survives on the different surfaces?

Thanks everyone. How much bleach to water?

I will steer clear of carpet cleaning, I can't wait to move and get away from wall to wall!! It's just gross.

This was the kind of steam cleaner I was talkign about, one for hard surfaces. I just don't know if the steam would be hot enough to kill all the nasties:

amazon link to steam cleaner

I realized after I posted, it was steam cleaning you said, not carpet cleaning The directions for the bleach to water ratio is on every bottle of bleach. You can just look at that. I do suggest cleaning with gloves on. Also, I find myself switching out towels in the bathroom more....the ones that we put up to dry hands after washing.

I will steer clear of carpet cleaning, I can't wait to move and get away from wall to wall!! It's just gross.

This was the kind of steam cleaner I was talkign about, one for hard surfaces. I just don't know if the steam would be hot enough to kill all the nasties:

YES! I've been tempted to use paper towels in the bathroom for a while. This sure is hard on a germaphobe!!

If I knew the steam from those things was hot enough to zap this stuff I'd order it in a heartbeat, I'm just not sure it is though.

I realized after I posted, it was steam cleaning you said, not carpet cleaning The directions for the bleach to water ratio is on every bottle of bleach. You can just look at that. I do suggest cleaning with gloves on. Also, I find myself switching out towels in the bathroom more....the ones that we put up to dry hands after washing.

TracyRee,

Ya know, I got rid of my antibacterial soaps for the most part. I know the kids don't wash long enough most of the time. I used to use diluted bleach a lot too. I don't do any of that any more. Hot soapy water is really good for most regular old germs. After some reading on the subject, I came to the conclusion that I was probably just contributing to stronger microbes. If you miss one or two of those little devils (germs) they can just get stronger and resistent. If you're going to go after germs that way, you better make sure you get em all! I think changing the hand towels more frequently is really good idea and paper towels which i use in the kitchen all of the time.

That's just my opinion,

I did find this

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20010415/1557.html

Group A beta-hemolytic streptococci persist for up to 15 days on unrinsed toothbrushes and removable orthodontic appliances.24 The pathogens are not isolated from rinsed toothbrushes after three days. Instructing patients to rinse toothbrushes and removable orthodontic appliances thoroughly may help to prevent recurrent infections.

we've never used antibacterial soaps either. i am a soap and water girl.

this sickness has me freaked out though. don't want to mess with it again.

TracyRee,

Ya know, I got rid of my antibacterial soaps for the most part. I know the kids don't wash long enough most of the time. I used to use diluted bleach a lot too. I don't do any of that any more. Hot soapy water is really good for most regular old germs. After some reading on the subject, I came to the conclusion that I was probably just contributing to stronger microbes. If you miss one or two of those little devils (germs) they can just get stronger and resistent. If you're going to go after germs that way, you better make sure you get em all! I think changing the hand towels more frequently is really good idea and paper towels which i use in the kitchen all of the time.

That's just my opinion,

I did find this

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20010415/1557.html

Group A beta-hemolytic streptococci persist for up to 15 days on unrinsed toothbrushes and removable orthodontic appliances.24 The pathogens are not isolated from rinsed toothbrushes after three days. Instructing patients to rinse toothbrushes and removable orthodontic appliances thoroughly may help to prevent recurrent infections.

Imagine me....my son's first exacerbation was fear of germs, dirt, and contamination. Now with H1N1 and all the reminders about hygiene, I freak out it will bring things back for him. Every time he asks for hand sanitizer, I feel I have to ask him why he needs it. I know I'm over reacting, but his OCD w/ that was very bad last time.

I buy foam soap for hands. It uses less soap per push. It's also a SpongeBob container and I find they are more apt to use it because of that. I breifly thought about paper towels for the bathroom but w/ 5 people, we'd go through that like crazy. I do save old, short yogurt cups and throw them in the dishwasher. Then every morning they grab one for their rinse and spit cup for brushing teeth. It's cheaper than disposable and the dishwasher sanitizes it.