ACN Latitudes Forums

Anesthesia with dental work

My son, who will be three late July, has many cavities! It's crazy, so unexpected. So, he is actually scheduled for anesthesia for next Tuesday for the fillings. Well, we just got back lab work for suspected PANDAS for him, and while I haven't discussed them with Dr. B, the two things that he looks for with PANDAS kids, my son shows them. So, I guess I am self diagnosing him until we go and see Dr. B again in June.

I have Augmentin for him (600 mg 2x per day), he is 33 pounds, that I just filled and will start tomorrow AM. I can also add in azithromycin for him as well.

Is there anything else I should be doing? Should not be doing?

Dr. B said anesthesia was fine for PANDAS kids. My DD did it and she was fine.

Should I be asking for IV abx? I'm wondering how much that would cost. We are already paying cash out of pocket for most of the dental plus all of the hospital past, as our insurance won't cover dental work in a hospital setting. I'm guessing I'll just tell her to be extra gentle.

I'd love any tips!

Thanks

I second this...ESPECIALLY if he has a MTHFR mutation. I would also not have any silver fillings (not sure if there is still mercury in the fillings).

My DD16 is having all 4 impacted wisdom teeth extracted next week. She is on Augmentin XR 1000 bid and Azith 250 bid and our doctor said she was covered with those abx and would not need higher dose or IV abx.

No nitrous oxide!

It can be extremely dangerous for those with the MTHFR mutation, and several of these kids are showing up with that mutation. Pediatric dentists like to use nitrous oxide for young kids, so you may have some resistance from your dentist. Our dentist uses it until the kids are around 9!

What is the reason for the no nitrous oxide? I'm not sure what they are using. I will have to call them.

It is not the silver mercury fillings.

As a parent, remember that you are in charge. I think it is insane that pediatric dentist, with minimal experience in anesthesiology, put kids under for cavities and other things. Most pediatric dentists have privileges at hospitals. You can demand that your child's cavities are filled in the hospital or surgery center and that you would like an anesthesiologist (M.D) to administer the anesthesia. But again, remind them no nitrous oxide. My son has a supernummary, which is an anomoly of having an extra tooth. He has two adult teeth growing on top of each other and has to have it surgically removed. You can bet that it will be done in a hospital, with iv antibiotics and an anesthesiologist. Anesthesia is a big deal. Lots of things can go wrong. I err on the side of caution.

The dentist says they use sevoflurane. I looked it up and on Wiki, it says it is typically used with nitrous oxide. When I asked her, they said they do not use it. I will call back again tomorrow.

I'm really nervous for Tuesday. I just can't imagine this dental work getting done any other way.

PhillyPA, he will be in a hospital. I believe it is an anesthesiologist that administers the medicine.

Edited by colleendonny

Glad it went well! Hope we do as well. DD has to have 4 impacted wisdom teeth removed tomorrow. Had to explain to anesthesiologist why DD cannot have noxious oxide with homozygous c677t MTHFR. He knew nothing about it. Told him I would bring with me some research studies and peer-reviewed articles so he could learn. Doesn't exactly make me feel warm and fuzzy but at least he wants to learn.

Updating. DS had his dental work done a few hours ago. He is doing great and back to his wild self trying to climb up the wrong side of our banister :)

Thanks everyone for your help amd tips.

I tried explaining PANDAS to the anesthesiologist. I told her we had the results but haven't spoke to the doc, but they resembled DD5 who has PANDAS. She says, " So you self diagnosed?" I brushed he off and said, " Well, yes."

Wishing your DD luck tomorrow! Is the work at the dentist or hospital?

LOL! Thanks...we're doing it at the hospital. The oral surgeon and I thought it would be best considering her complex health issues.

I tried explaining PANDAS to the anesthesiologist. I told her we had the results but haven't spoke to the doc, but they resembled DD5 who has PANDAS. She says, " So you self diagnosed?" I brushed he off and said, " Well, yes."

Wishing your DD luck tomorrow! Is the work at the dentist or hospital?

• 4 years later...

Resurrecting an old post.

We are faced with the decision of having our daughter's wisdom teeth removed - all 4 at the same time. Her dentist, orthodontist, and oral surgeon feel they should be removed, even though they are not causing any pain. They feel not removing them can reverse what the braces and retainer have done.

Thoughts?

Has anyone gone unscathed (flare) in having them removed in their children? My daughter is not thrilled of the idea, and of course I worry about a major flare.