ACN Latitudes Forums

Quercetin - helps with environmt allergies?

patty

My son's ND is recommending him to try quercetin to help with his nasal allergies. Anyone had any success with it?

Faith, i remembered you had post about using quercetin for your son. Noticed any difference? And how long does it take for it to kick in?

Pat

Yes I did try that when I was suspecting allergies having to do with his tics. I can't attest to it helping the "allergies" because he has no obvious symptoms of allergy, meaning nasal congestion, etc. I tried it to see if it had any effect on the tics, mostly the vocal at the time when I was thinking my cat was a suspect. (I am back on that kick lately, so maybe I'll give it another go too!) I did go through two bottles, and in the end I was not exactly sure, so I did abandon it. I do think its worth a try though, especially since your son does have the allergy symptoms, so I think you should. Actually I used the product called D-Hist which has quercetin and couple other things in there. I remember an old poster "Giselle" I think had good results and did post to me that she loved it. You could do a search.

Let us know if it helps if you try it, I think you can get it at health food stores.

Faith

• 2 months later...

Patty,

did you wind up ever trying the quercetin or D-Hist? As I mentioned, I still have a suspicion about my cat being a contributor to my son's vocal tics. This is a hard one to figure out, because as you know, cat dander and allergens can linger for months even if someone is not directly exposed to the actual cat. I have some quercetin in the cupboard and have started giving a few capsules to see what happens, as I feel my son's vocal is kicking up again. But I understand this to be more preventative than to actually relieve symptoms once they are there (I think).

Thanks

Faith

Faith,

Nope, still have not given it to my son. I am very slow at giving him anything, as you know already, i like to do as little as possible at a time to see the effect of any supplements or anything.

Right now, he is on a combined homeopathic lung support and a bronchicalm for his cough. I did notice the homeopathic lung support spiked some facial tics and it does not seem to alleviate his cough, so i stop that 2 days ago to see if it helps with his facial tic.

How are things going on your end?

Pat

Although I have not used quercetin, I have a friend who used it for her s10 year old son who has many environmental allergies and suffered a lot with nasal congestion and asthma. He was on several meds. He does not have TS. He took quercetin (2 am and 2 pm) and also butterbur. He also still used nasal spray and eye drops. She found that this was his best spring and summer yet for symptoms and she highly recommends them. I think she got them both from Thorne Research. I used Moducare and HMC+ for Sam this year but didn't start them early enough to help him with the tree pollens in early spring, but I do think they helped him thru the rest of the summer, although pollen counts here were not too high this year so hard to tell. I am definitely going to use them again starting around January next year to try to get ahead of the game!

Sue

We are having a real spike in vocal about a week or so. Its either that or the eye twitching. Maybe its just the way it goes, eye twitch goes down, vocal goes up. But I am still trying to figure if our cat has anything to do with this. I am giving the quercetin to see if it helps any, but from yesterday and today, nothing yet. A month or so ago, he had a couple days of more vocals and I started keeping our cat confined to one room and hepa vacumming alot and things calmed down some, but I can't keep this cat in one room forever, so we have let her roam about a couple days a week. Who knows if it has anything to do with this or not, but I am still experimenting. The summer was pretty good, and especially during the week we were away on vacation, so that's what made me wonder. Its hard to tell, its not exactly obvious and cat dander is hard to eliminate totally even after cat removal. I also thought I was having some help from the Gaba, but maybe not. :)

Faith

Faith,

Just curious, what kind of supplements is your son on?

In our past experience, if it helps with tics, usually i notice the effect w/in 5 days, and sometimes less or more, depends on what it is.

Based on your past posts, sounds like your son is sensitive to many things, therefore, it is hard to pinpoint. As the bucket theory goes, it is easy to fill that bucket when it is almost full most times.

As i learned via the allergy desensitization process, when one is very sensitive to many things, even beneficial supplements can have negative effects on tics because the body cannot utilize it. It is like a catch 22. Your body needs & rejects the supplement at the same time.

Pat

Pat,

From June I stopped giving him the B12 shots and folic acid combo. Then I added NAC first and then Gaba. Once I added the Gaba, I noticed the vocals starting to lessen. (however I am still giving it and he is now waxing on the vocals). I also give Natural Calm and 50 mg. of B6 and probiotics. While I feel this helped some (in the way that it at least definitely did not make things worse), I was still seeing some eye twitching and the vocals were light.

On another note, last week I was feeling that I needed to try something else for the eye twitching which I thought was getting more and more, so I added tryptophan., I also gave a flax oil capsule for about 4 or five days, because I wanted to try omega 3 again (which I have not given for about two years) to see if it had any effect on his attention and focus, which is still an issue. Now I can't rememaber if his vocal was bad when I started the flax oil, but it is possible the flax oil may have caused this spike. He has been "huh"-ing non stop, even the teacher said this was the first time she really noticed it in class. So I will see in a week or so (not giving the flax or tryptophan now) if things go down. Ironically, the eye twitch is down. So who knows, I may just conclude that a tic is a tic, and when one is up, the other is down. Those are the two that I deal with for the most part.

Faith

Well, we did do the Igg sensitivities twice, that is for food though. During the summer when he did quite well, I was still including some of the things that he was sensitive to and it seemed to be okay. I have not been able to find the things that are obvious anyway, except I keep him away from most fruits (salicylates) and that seems ot help.

The other thing that we discussed and is still on the back burner is the NAET. I am feel more and more compelled to try, and I'm guessing you feel so too. I am just having the fear that it could make things worse. Could that happen. And of course this will be some money, so I have to present this to dh the right way. I know he sometimes thinks I am scurrying about spending money on supplements, etc. and it may not be the answer. At least it might stop the vicious circle of always thinking something is the culprit. What do you think?

Faith