ACN Latitudes Forums

Cunningham Panel (Options)

4Nikki

OK,

So DD has a new doctor that wants to run the Cunningham Panel for treatment confirmation.

So there is the Cost Issue.

And I'm questioning is any thing going to show up in the tests? (We had expensice MRI and LP done with unremarkable results. DD blood work numbers go up and down al the time for different stuff.)

The hospital gave me these codes to check with my insurance company for coverage and said thier charge is $1200.

83520 – Immunoassay for Analyte
88230 – Tissue Culture for non-neoplastic disorders; lymphocyte
86352 – Cellular function assay in volving stimulation and detection of biomarker

So my insurance says the tests are covered, but I have a deductable of $400 in-network and $1000 out-of-network. Then 80/20.

I would have though since the hospital is in-network then and the specimin is collected by them but sent out for specialty then the whole thing would be considered in-network the way it is when the in-network lab sends out speciality testing.

When I looked at the Moleculera Labs charge of $925, my brain automatically went into a mode where I'm thinking I need to save that $300 the hospital is charging.

After a half hour of pondering this issue, I think I decided to shake my brain and just let the hospital do everything.

Any thoughts?

I'm thinking we have to do it so at least there is a chance to know if she has pans or not.

i have to say I lost you. what is the issue you are pondering?

if there is a chance that your dr would treat if Cunningham's is positive, I would do spend the money. this is a very expensive condition and if C is positive, you will have all other expenses covered by your insurance.

the problem here is, of course, what if it is negative?

why does your dr present C as definitive? does he/she?

there are many other tests that can indicate PANS.

I was pondering the cost of getting the test done.

DD has the clinical symptoms. Other than that, I don't know of any other test that would sort of confirm a diagnosis of PANDAS/PANS. Perhaps the lack of anything else not showing up is somewhat a confirmation, but insurance companies want a positive test result not a negative that says what else can it be.

Typically since most doctors have no experience with PANDAS/PANS, they are not willing to diagnose what is considered rare. One issue is prescribing long term antibiotics. I'm in the West and from what I have read it appears much tougher to get treatments.

i see. in your place, I would focus on finding the right dr willing to treat and not on the C - test. C -test might be one way to get there, of course. But, it may come negative. AND it may be inconclusive. in either case, you will not have the proof that you are seeking and will not be able to convince your dr. So, In your place, I would change the strategy. Present NIH findings to your local dr -- there was a post about that a few months back. NIH has web info page about pandas with detailed recommendation for local pedis on how to diagnose and how to treat. We are no longer in the Middle Ages PAndas wise.

Also, make a post about drs in WA. there may be some. And, make a post specifically about C test just to see other experiences with it.

good luck

Edited by pr40

You have probably already seen this, but just in case, here is a list of PANDAS friendly docs in Washington:

WASHINGTON

• Dr. Niran Al-Agba
    Pediatrician
    360-692-8588
    Silverdale, WA
  • Denise Jervis
    Family counselor
    206-227-3582
    Bellevue, WA
  • Dr. Kim Kacorski, ND
    Naturopathic Physician
    425-775-6001