ACN Latitudes Forums

n-acetylcysteine

Could anyone who has been using n-acetylcysteine update on how it is working for OCD? I see there were posts back in May where it seemed as if it was helpful.

Also one of the studies mentioned said 9 weeks before seeing any changes, is that true for all who have used it?

We were guided to it by Dr. Leckman back in April in passing, saying they were having some success with it with trichotillomania and thought it might be helpful for us for OCD, he said for us to run it by our naturopath and honestly it got lost in the back of my mind somewhere as the antibiotics were working well at the time.

Antibiotics are still working, we have had a few setbacks but seem to be able to identify more of the OCD that is still hanging around. I have emailed my naturopath to ask her what she thinks and what dose etc.

It would be helpful to us if anyone could lets us know what improvements they have seen, at what dose and how long it took to see changes and if the changes continue.

Thanks.

Kay

DD14 has been on NAC supplements for over a year, although she did get combo NAC and glutathione IVs for two years when she was younger. I definitely saw an improvement in her OCD symptoms with the supplements though nothing miraculous and it wasn't overnight. She takes 5 NAC supplements each day (600 mg apiece). I also find high doses of Querciplex (quercitin) works well as a natural anti-inflammatory. It did take a while to see a change though I cannot recall if it was exactly 8 weeks.

Nancy

Thank you Nancy,

Just ordered some from our ND she said to go ahead and try it. she suggested 600mg 2 x day and if that was ok with her to double that. She also does take quercitin daily so I guess that is helpful as well.

Thanks for your input.

K

You're welcome, Kay. Always good to start low, though optimal dosage should be based on weight. My DD weighs 130 lbs. I think she started with 2 capsules daily and then worked her way up to 5 per day. We did not see anything until after we reached 4. She takes 6 Querciplex capsules daily -- each capsule contains: Quercetin 333 mg.

Magnesium 20 mg. and Bromelain 100 mg.

Nancy

I've been taking this now for a couple of months, but not for OCD. I was getting desperate about these constant infections I was getting and our insurance's denial of IVIG for me, so I went to the shop of a friend of mine who's an herbalist and asked her to set me up with anything and everything she thought could boost my immune function without exacerbating autoimmunity. She gave me NAC and a couple of other things to take just when I'm sick. Since I've started taking it I haven't been sick, which believe it or not, is very good for me even though it hasn't been that long. I feel great too - but generally I feel great as long as I don't have an active infection, so that's not surprising.

I don't have OCD or anything like that so can't comment from that perspective, but I'm going to keep on taking the NAC.

I've been taking this now for a couple of months, but not for OCD. I was getting desperate about these constant infections I was getting and our insurance's denial of IVIG for me, so I went to the shop of a friend of mine who's an herbalist and asked her to set me up with anything and everything she thought could boost my immune function without exacerbating autoimmunity. She gave me NAC and a couple of other things to take just when I'm sick. Since I've started taking it I haven't been sick, which believe it or not, is very good for me even though it hasn't been that long. I feel great too - but generally I feel great as long as I don't have an active infection, so that's not surprising.

I don't have OCD or anything like that so can't comment from that perspective, but I'm going to keep on taking the NAC.

Thanks for the info!

Could anyone who has been using n-acetylcysteine update on how it is working for OCD? I see there were posts back in May where it seemed as if it was helpful.

It would be helpful to us if anyone could lets us know what improvements they have seen, at what dose and how long it took to see changes and if the changes continue.

Thanks.

Kay

Hi Kay,

We added the NAC in mid June. But we also added many other "ingredients" and made other medication changes right after that. She is in the middle of a steroid burst. I can say my kids have taken this before for other stuff and there have been zero side effects zero concerns. Our doctors say it is very benign. My daughter is better, so we know the NAC did not have a negative affect. She 84lbs and takes 600mg 2X a day.

Great! thanks for the reply, our ND thought it was a very safe supplement as well.