ACN Latitudes Forums

Worsening transitional tics?

Jsara

My 9 year old son is experiencing another bout of what we believe are transient tics. He developed eye blinking and occasional throat clearing at age 6. It lasted about a month or so and then disappeared until the following year where he had another episode of the same for about the same time period. In the spring of 2nd grade he had an eye rolling tic which lasted for about 4-6 weeks. It disappeared for 5 months and reappeared the next fall for another 4-6 weeks. This year, the tics returned again September (his normal pattern). This year they are worse than before. It started with a noise this time. A clicking noise that he makes with the back of his tongue. That disappeared for a short while but was replaced with an eye roll that was almost constant. ( to the point of irritating his eyes) then the clicking stated again. The eye roll just very recently stopped but now appears to be replaced by excessive blinking and the noise is continuing only when he eats. Do transient tics worsen over time or is this likely a progression to Tourette's? He has been having tics this time for about 2 months straight. We have an appointment with a neurologist in February, but my mind is getting the best of me. It breaks my heart to think that he could potentially worsen and struggle with this indefinitely. He was tic free for over 5 months since his last bout.

Hi Jsara, Welcome to the forums. I know it is hard to see your boy with tics, but please don't assume he is headed for a long term struggle. It is encouraging that just a couple of months ago he was tic-free. The task will be to restore him to that state.

Conventional medicine doesn't offer much in the way of trying to figure out why your child started having tics again.

I would like to suggest that you read some of the Forum links on this thread below, and see if they give you any ideas. Then I hope you will please get back to us. .

http://latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2459

Many families have found help with natural approaches and exploring a possible allergy link. Sometimes finding an integrative doctor or naturopath who can help you is useful. It is good to make sure there is not a underlying infection that is causing a hypersensitivity.

It would be helpful if you could keep a log and write down what your son eats and drinks, and what he has done during the day, along with how the symptoms are. Usually over time a pattern can emerge that leads to some answers.

Please write after you have had a chance to read a little bit and let us know what you think, OK? Or you can just write again and give us more information, as you wish. We want to help you find some solutions.

Sheila,

thank you for your reply. I did start a journal last week and have been trying some essential oils as well as a b complex vitamin and fish oil, along with epsom salt baths. His tics have calmed a bit but seem to be moving down his body. He now is having jerky movements in his right and leg. I also have noticed him continually flexing his right arm muscles and flicking his fingers which are not occurring regularly but I assume are all related. The tics come every fall after the start of school and competitive sports and then have always subsided as we move into the winter months with sometimes a much briefer period of tics that pop up in the spring and then virtually disappear from mid april until the following September. I feel that they are stress related as my son has dealt with some anxiety issues in the past. My biggest concern is that now the tics are occurring in his extremities where before they never left the face/neck region. I would like to hear from someone who has dealt with transient tics and whether the episodes have worsened with age as seems to be the case with my son. The tics are really bothering him and are starting to affect him socially as he is now in fourth grade and kids are asking about it. My pediatrician wants to start him on clinidine and told him that he has Tourette's because of the vocal tic now and there is no cure. Ever since this appointment a couple of weeks go my son has been distressed about this and has voiced that "now I will look weird for the rest of my life". I am so angry with the pediatrician for saying that in front of him! I'm trying to give him some hope as we wait for a neurology appointment in February. I've also noticed recently that he jerks a lot when he is sleeping. His whole body jumps as he is falling asleep and it wakes him up. It's a vicious cycle. He also has stared at me blankly briefly a couple of times which makes me wonder if he could be having a seizure??

Jsara, One of the worst things doctors dealing with tics can do is to tell a child that they have TS and there is no cure. Talk about being insensitive! Aside from being discouraging, especially when kids can go online and read worst case scenarios that scare parents, much less kids, it is simply not true.

Please tell your son that many kids have had tics just like his and gotten better by finding what makes their tics worse. Our neurologist told my son that exact same thing and it made me mad as well. I told my child (about the same age) to forget everything the doctor said! We proceeded to find help, real help, and he was soon fine.

Yes-- you should pursue whether any type of seizure is happening related to the blank stares you have seen. Good you have an appt with a neurologist.

Aside from that -- I'm glad to know you have started to keep a log. Some people have found that when tics follow the pattern you mention, worse in fall and spring, that there is an allergy connection, with hypersensitivities worse during these times. Sometimes it is inhalants like pollens that are the worst offenders, sometimes it is mold. Of course stress could play a role, as you suggest. When physically stressed (with allergies) or emotionally, then more things at lower levels can trigger tics than typically.

Does he have a family history of allergies?

Re: his sleeping problems, be sure the bedroom is as non-allergenic as possible, a clean and natural place. And turn off electronics. (Whether this has anything to do with his evening tics or not, it is helpful for everyone.)

Have you had a chance to read our book or articles on our website by families and what helped them ?

Here's an article by a mother with a young son http://latitudes.org/dealing-with-tourettes-or-tics-i-wrote-this-just-for-you/ Sheila

Jsara, One of the worst things doctors dealing with tics can do is to tell a child that they have TS and there is no cure. Talk about being insensitive! Aside from being discouraging, especially when kids can go online and read worst case scenarios that scare parents, much less kids, it is simply not true.

Please tell your son that many kids have had tics just like his and gotten better by finding what makes their tics worse. Our neurologist told my son that exact same thing and it made me mad as well. I told my child (about the same age) to forget everything the doctor said! We proceeded to find help, real help, and he was soon fine.

Yes-- you should pursue whether any type of seizure is happening related to the blank stares you have seen. Good you have an appt with a neurologist.

Aside from that -- I'm glad to know you have started to keep a log. Some people have found that when tics follow the pattern you mention, worse in fall and spring, that there is an allergy connection, with hypersensitivities worse during these times. Sometimes it is inhalants like pollens that are the worst offenders, sometimes it is mold. Of course stress could play a role, as you suggest. When physically stressed (with allergies) or emotionally, then more things at lower levels can trigger tics than typically.

Does he have a family history of allergies?

Re: his sleeping problems, be sure the bedroom is as non-allergenic as possible, a clean and natural place. And turn off electronics. (Whether this has anything to do with his evening tics or not, it is helpful for everyone.)

Have you had a chance to read our book or articles on our website by families and what helped them ?

Here's an article by a mother with a young son http://latitudes.org/dealing-with-tourettes-or-tics-i-wrote-this-just-for-you/ Sheila