ACN Latitudes Forums

"Triggered - A Memoir of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder"

Triggered - by Fletcher Wortmann

I stumbled across a review for this book in People Magazine a couple of days ago and immediately downloaded it for my Kindle. It's a memoir of a young man who grew up with OCD - primaily obsessive thoughts.

Admittedly - I'm not very far into it, halfway through the second chapter. Let's face it, free time for "recreational reading" isn't exactly easy to come by with 6 strep infections in 2 PANDAS kids since Jan 1 (yes - my daughter tested positive yesterday...yippee!!) And yes - it's sad that PANDAS related topics have invaded my "recreational reading" list as well.

But my own personal neruoses aside :blink: - in the first two chapters - while the way he discusses his thought process as a child is often funny - it has totally given me a new perspective into the way my kid's head works.

We've all read The Explosive Child, have worked with our kids through Up and Down Worry Hill, etc...but his in depth detailed description of how these obsessive thoughts work through his head were like a light bulb going off for me.

Not that any of us have a whole lot of free time - but I thought I'd pass along the recommendation - so far I'm enjoying it, and it's lighthearted and funny enough that I still feel like it's "me time" eventhough I'm reading about OCD.

Thanks for the recommendation! I also enjoyed "Look Me in the Eye" about Asperger's. Even though my son doesn't have Aspergers, I know kids who do, and it was great insight into how the Aspie mind works. I'll definitely pick up Triggered to read.