ACN Latitudes Forums

Strep culture in yogurt?

My PANDAS dd is on 250mg azith everyday. I understand that probiotics and yogurt are helpful in maintaining a healthy digestive system. However, on a parent support group (I can't find the reference now), some parents have posted that many commercial yogurts contain a strain of strep that is supposedly harmless, but that they believe their PANDAS children react badly to.

I just today bought my daughter "Yoplait Thick and Creamy" yogurt. When I read the label it said "With active yogurt cultures, including L. acidopholis". So I called the 1-800 number and asked what else it "includes". They said it also includes Streptococcus thermophilus. Does anyone avoid yogurt for this reason, or know a good brand without it? I can't believe they didn't list it on the ingredients list - that you would have to call and specifically ask to find out... I'd like to know if anyone has an opinion on this. Thanks.

Dh had a concern about this when he saw it was in our probiotic but did some research and decided it was not a problem. PANDAS patients are affected by GAHBS, not all streps. Dd was on the probiotic (with strep. Thermophilus) in it since June...no problems seemed to be correlated with it.

By the way, Kefir is supposed to a good source of probiotics as well, some say better than yougurt (at least the folks that make Kefir say it's better...ha ha!). They have it at trader joe's, safeway (more expensive), whole foods. You can mix it into smoothies. It's like a more liquid version of yougurt.

My PANDAS dd is on 250mg azith everyday. I understand that probiotics and yogurt are helpful in maintaining a healthy digestive system. However, on a parent support group (I can't find the reference now), some parents have posted that many commercial yogurts contain a strain of strep that is supposedly harmless, but that they believe their PANDAS children react badly to.

I just today bought my daughter "Yoplait Thick and Creamy" yogurt. When I read the label it said "With active yogurt cultures, including L. acidopholis". So I called the 1-800 number and asked what else it "includes". They said it also includes Streptococcus thermophilus. Does anyone avoid yogurt for this reason, or know a good brand without it? I can't believe they didn't list it on the ingredients list - that you would have to call and specifically ask to find out... I'd like to know if anyone has an opinion on this. Thanks.

I thought I'd pass along this article...

http://www.klaire.com/images/PANDAS.pdf

My dd uses Klaire labs probiotics and I ran across this article on their site.

• 3 weeks later...

My son had a PANDAS flare after we starting giving him yogurt, and once when we gave him a probiotic that we didn't realize had S. Thermophilis in it.

The body handles strep improperly, and probably can't differentiate between bad strep and beneficial strep. On my autism boards, there are a bunch of other parents of PANDAS kids who all react negatively to S.thermophilus