ACN Latitudes Forums

magnesium-rich supplement protocol taught by CPhA

Guest Bonnie Grimaldi

Guest Bonnie Grimaldi

Dear lherbert,

Yes, teardrop shaped red blood cells are common in a variety of conditions of "disordered erythropoiesis". They indicate red blood cell formation from the spleen and not from the bone marrow, the predominant way. http://cpl.yonsei.ac.kr/hema/g-r-ab-tear.htm

**Teardrop red blood cells can also be artifacts on the peripheral blood smear and mean nothing, so it is important that the blood smear be made by qualified technical laboratory personnel and evaluated by certified laboratory technologists before jumping to conclusions. :)

http://www.courses.ahc.umn.edu/medical-sch...as/glossary.htm

"Teardrop Cell (Dacrocyte)

Red cells appearing in the shape of a teardrop or a pear with a single, short or long, often blunted or rounded end are called teardrop cells. These are commonly seen in myelofibrosis with myeloid metaplasia, but may be seen also in pernicious anemia, anemia of renal disease, hemolytic anemias, and other forms of severe anemia. Bone marrow infiltration with hematologic and non-hematologic malignancies may also be accompanied by dacrocytosis. Teardrop cells may also be seen as an artifact of slide preparation; such dacrocytes are usually easily recognized from the fact that their "tails" all point in the same direction. "

This link about dark field microscopy reflects most of my negative views about its use in alternative health care: http://www.canoe.ca/HealthAlternativeColum...mns/010511.html

Warm regards,

Bonnie Grimaldi

http://bonniegr.com

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Nancy

Bonnie,

I read earlier where you said that high doses of stearic acid can compromise immunity. My son is taking 600 mg of magnesium glycinate a day (3 tablets). It lists stearic acid and magnesium stearate under Other Ingredients. Do you consider this a high dose that could lead to problems? Thanks so much for your input.

Nancy

Guest Bonnie Grimaldi

Dear Nancy,

A few pills with stearate in it probably doesn't cause immunity problems. Stearate in pills that are taken in large quantity may. Studies show that stearic acid is incorporated into the phosphatidylcholine in cell membranes of T cell lymphocytes causing loss of membrane integrity of this immune cell. Stearate is a saturated fatty acid also found in lots of the greasy food that we eat...

Warm regards,

Bonnie Grimaldi

Guest Guest

Bonnie,

Thanks for your reply. I don't mean to sound dense, but if he's taking 3 pills everyday long term, should I consider that a high dose? I'll certainly switch if necessary. I've looked for mag glycinate without the stearate but can't find it in the stores. It's worked nicely as far as taking fewer pills because each one is 200 mg, but we'll go with whatever is safest.

I'm just amazed at all I learn by reading this board and the other TS boards. It's a little scary to think of all the bad stuff we consume and breathe and encounter each day that most of us don't know anything about. Luckily my kids are pretty accepting of the changes in our diet, and I certainly let them have treats at times, but I still feel a bit like the nutty "natural" mom who has to explain to other people why I won't let my kids eat all the stuff the other kids eat!

Thanks again.

Nancy

Guest Nancy

Thanks Chemar, I'd rather be nutty and natural too! By the way, I've enjoyed reading all your posts on the various boards and hearing about your son's trip. It sounds like you've had great success with supplements - it's always good to find out what's helped other people. We're doing much better with vitamins but I feel like there's still some exploration and fine tuning to do.Then throw an illness in there and everything's up for grabs! Thanks for your comments.

Nancy

Bonnie- I have appreciated your responses. I hope you don't mind, but I am in need of some guidance because I feel like I am about to give up. I felt like I was really on to something with my 3 year old child who has a gasping tic when I started seeing some drastic improvements when I started the Feingold diet program. Then we went to a reputable environmental doctor who after hearing history and looking at a urine organix profile feels like my child has leaky gut and toxicity. (???) The MD did a series of blood/labwork which is being sent off for analysis. They did do a dark field microscope assessment which showed lemon shape red blood cells and some slow moving white blood cells. Her comment is that the lemon shape is irritable gut and white blood cells don't look active. She started her on vitamins that I previously emailed you about. Surprisingly, she did not react to the orange flavor fatty acid one, but there has been reaction to the Immune 26 which is a byproduct of egg for 3 days straight and possible Bvitamin. I don't think she has an allergy to eggs. We also started her on Nyastatin which is suppose to kill the yeast. No known yeast infection. The MD wanted there to be an increase in tics which there has been, but I don't feel that it is due to the Nyastatin and now she is reacting to food that she is eating that is on the Feingold. She wants us to build up her immune system before we give her DMSA to chelate her in 1 month. My question to you is have you is a-have you heard or researched gasping as a tic. There seems to be a wet/mucous quality that I can hear in her before she gasps. The tic is usually immediate-while she is eating or right after.b-what do you know about DMSA and can it be harmful in a child that may not have toxicityc-My daughter's citric acid cycle was high in these areas citrate, isocitrate, aketoglutarate, succinate, malate, hydroxymethylglutarate. High fatty acid metabolism adipate, ethylmalonate. High pyroglutamate as a detoxification indicator and high phenylacetate as bacteria. Does this sound like metal toxicity to you? I am willing to try alternative measures as long as I don't harm my child in the process and I am skeptical because this is a theory of hers, but I don't know if it is valid based on just these results. Thanks. lherbert

Guest Bonnie Grimaldi

Dear lherbert,

Since I don't know which lab tests were run, what their results were, and which laboratories were used I cannot be very helpful. Laboratory medicine is my expertise in which I am certified by the ASCP as a Medical Technologist so I believe that I can have an intelligent opinion in this area. I also am a graduate student in Nutrition and feel that I can be helpful in this area also. I am not a doctor, however, and don't wish to overstep my bounderies. All I have is my humble opinion...

I don't believe that all environmental physicians use bogus dark field microscopy and non-CAP certified labs for their lab tests. I don't believe that all environmental physicians rely on unreliable hair analyses. Also, I don't believe that all environmental physicians use Nystatin and anti-fungals when no overgrowth of yeast is tested for by valid lab methods or yeast allergy tests performed and found positive. The same goes for the use of DMSA for toxic metals - I don't believe that all environmental physicians do not run valid blood and urine tests before prescribing chelation therapy. I would expect my environmental physician to be responsible in good clinical practices or I would not return.

DMSA may chelate magnesium also (in addition to other "good metals" such as calcium, manganese, zinc or selenium) so that is a consideration. Reputable physicians would closely monitor the urine during chelation therapy for these minerals as well as mercury, lead and arsenic.

One thing for sure is to get a "CBC with peripheral smear" test ordered by your doctor to be done at a CAP certified lab such as LabCorp to see if the red/white blood cells are alright.

Warm regards,

Bonnie Grimaldi

Guest Guest

Nancy,

I get my Magnesium from Vitaminshoppe.com. I went to every store in my area looking for the Magnesium Taurate...No luck. I've been dealing with VitaminShoppe for a couple of years now, and they are FAST at getting the supplements to you, and their selection is incredible. (No, I don't work for them. :)

Bonnie,

Thanks for everything you are doing for helping our kids. Adding the supplements you recommend has made a big difference in my son's tics. Has the study on Magnesium started yet?

M. C.

Guest Nancy

M.C.,

Thanks for the info. There is actually a Vitaminshoppe store that opened near me - I'll stop in there and see if they have the same selection. Bonnie's magnesium taurate work well for my son but since they're only 50 mg each he has to take a lot each day - I read on one of the forums that Bonnie is looking into putting more magnesium in each capsule, which would cut down on the number of capsules each day, which would be great. Thanks again!

Nancy

Guest Bonnie Grimaldi

Dear M.C.,

Thanks for your kind words...I'm glad that I have had a part in helping your son! I am gathering adult participants with a Tourette's syndrome diagnosis in the central Ohio area who have not taken supplements for at least 6 months for my TS nutritional study with Dr. DiSilvestro at the Ohio State University. If anyone here fits that category and wishes to have a small amount of blood drawn for this study please contact me at BonnieGr@aol.com by Aug. 1, 2003. Together we can work to unlock the mysteries of TS...

Warm regards,

Bonnie Grimaldi

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jennifer

In reponse to using hair analysis as a method to detect heavy metal toxicity. Hair is used for drug testing and even for post mortem testing and is a highly accurate and non invasive way to give you an indication of what is going on. Mercury is an element though that will not show either through blood or hair unless the exposure has been 3 mos. or less. Since it is a major component of vacines it certainly is an issue for probably most of our children who have neurological problems. Doctor's Data is a highly reputable lab who also provides hair analysis screening, they have the largest data base in the country. Heavy metals play a very large role in why the body's function is impaired. Trace amounts are necessary,but high amounts bound to cells interfere with vitamin, mineral and other cellular activities by clogging cell sites so that the cellular communication does not occur as effectively.

Jennifer