• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google Plus
  • Youtube
  • youtube

Existing forum users need to log into the forums and website with their email address and password. Become a premium member to access enhanced forum features and visit our online store to view our products.
Natural Treatments for Tics and Tourette's - A Patient and Family Guide

Our helpful guide is a #1 bestselling book on tics and Tourette's. This 365-page book explains how to treat tics using natural and alternative therapies, from nutritional, behavioral and counseling therapies, EEG biofeedback, and homeopathy to bodywork, energy medicine, and Chinese medicine. This Book offers advice from medical experts, a common tic triggers checklist, inspirational family stories, practical worksheets, and takeaway tips for the help that you need. Learn more

Photo
- - - - -

Magtein

Magnesium

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jcmom

jcmom

• Premium
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 11:43 AM

I am constantly searching for the right type of magnesium for my 4yo.  He has a few tics - eye blinking being the worst.  We have been dairy free for 1 week (only avoiding milk, yogurt and cheese, not avoiding cooked dairy) and we have also been giving my son 1/4 serving of this supplement once a day with dinner:  http://www.lifeexten...-and-Vitamin-D3

Has anyone else tried this?  It has 2 grams of Magtein in it which is a form of L-Threonate I think?  I think Magtein might be the best form of magnesium for my son as it is supposedly highly absorbable.

After 1 week of this daily supplement (only 1/4 dose) and dairy-free, we have seen a marked improvement in my son's tics.  He has very long periods with no tics at all - 30min to 1 hr.  But then he will have "spells" of blinking and winking.  Hoping the long periods without tics just continue to get longer!  I am not sure if the dairy free diet or if this supplement is the reason for his improvement.

#2 Sheila

Sheila

Advanced Member

• Premium
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 11:47 AM

Hi JC Mom, I thought someone else might jump in here so was waiting.

Please give us an update on how things are going with your boy.

I personally love Magtein for myself. I take it along with SAMe (not good for everyone) for mental clarity. I started it about 6 months ago and have intended to write a blog about it but never get to it.

I  buy mine on Amazon from the original developers of it, but was close to getting the one you have, from Life Extension. I didn't realize there was a powder form which would work well with your son. (I don't know the amount that a child should have.)

I don't know that one is better than the other--  my brand or yours. I didn't compare ingredients closely.

(Mine: https://smile.amazon...ine supplement) (CORRECTED)

From what I have read, it does seem to be a good way to get magnesium into the brain. I notice a real difference.

I hope you will write back even with the delay in a response to your post!  Everyone will want to know if you are still seeing improvement--and we hope that you are!

#3 jcmom

jcmom

• Premium
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 01:18 PM

My son still had "spells" of winking and blinking - we did not see the tics go away completely while on this Life Extension product.  I was only giving him 1/4 dose which equates to only 36 Mg of Magnesium but a whopping 125 Mg of Calcium.  I was a little scared to use this Life Ext product and since I hadn't received any feedback on it I switched back to Natural Calm with Calcium on Sunday.  I gave my son 1/2 dose of Natural Calm with Calcium on Sunday and the next day he was tic free!  I think it's the amount of Magnesium that made the difference - 160 Mg in Natural Calm vs only 36 Mg with the Life Extension product.  I would like to get a different Magtein product that does not have Calcium added and try that again with my son at a higher dose.  I do not like that the Life Extension product has so much added Calcium.  I might try this product next and will update with results:  https://store.drjock...iant=5462242625

Sheila the link in your post does not work - can you share with me the brand of Magtein you are using?

#4 Sheila

Sheila

Advanced Member

• Premium
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:42 AM

Hi -- sorry about the link. 

https://smile.amazon...eine supplement

Seems it doesn't list calcium.

Probably a comparison of the amounts of Mg between any Magtein and Natural Calm isn't a direct comparison since they are different types of magnesium.

In any case, I'm vert glad your boy is doing better right now!  Will watch to see what you learn about this topic. Good luck! 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Magnesium

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users