ACN Latitudes Forums

The effect of language on this experience.

Light

Some of you may think I'm just obsessing. Some may think I'm splitting hairs. I have obsessional thinking. In my experience dealing with it, I'm really don't like the word 'disorder' being attached to it.

The word 'disorder' has some very negative connotations to me. It seems to imply that we are defective individuals or that this is an impossible thing to overcome. I don't think anyone with OCD is a defective person. Actually, I don't think anyone with any 'disorder' is a defective person. I think we are all unique individuals, who like everyone else, is given a unique set of problems to deal with in life. One of ours, just happens to be obsessional thinking.

Now, I understand the need to label and categorize our thinking in order to have a meaningful conversation. I've also seen a doctor about OCD, and I think he's a very nice person with good intentions, as I believe most doctors to be.

But words can have a powerful influence on how one approaches a problem. What if we called this type of thinking 'obsessive compulsive problem' or 'challenge'. Problems can be dealt with, challenges can be dealt with, and this just happens to be our unique one in life.

I think there will come a day when the word disorder begins to fade out. This is not to downplay the problem or to deny its existence. But to simply better reinforce the truth which is that we are all unique and special individuals, not defective in anyway, but simply presented by this unique problem...

Thanks for reading and hope this helps someone....