ACN Latitudes Forums

H.Pylori

I think the more alkaline the stomach the better it is for H pylori survival.

"What is Helicobacter pylori?

Helicobacter pylori, or H. pylori, is a spiral-shaped bacterium that grows in the mucus layer that coats the inside of the human stomach.

To survive in the harsh, acidic environment of the stomach, H. pylori secretes an enzyme called urease, which converts the chemical urea to ammonia. The production of ammonia around H. pylori neutralizes the acidity of the stomach, making it more hospitable for the bacterium. In addition, the helical shape of H. pylori allows it to burrow into the mucus layer, which is less acidic than the inside space, or lumen, of the stomach. H. pylori can also attach to the cells that line the inner surface of the stomach.

Although immune cells that normally recognize and attack invading bacteria accumulate near sites of H. pylori infection, they are unable to reach the stomach lining. In addition, H. pylori has developed ways of interfering with local immune responses, making them ineffective in eliminating the bacteria (1, 2)."

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/h-pylori-cancer

It also has multiple flagella.

Hi - when I got tested for h pylori, I was told to drink a fluid, then 10 or so mins later, I had to breath into a bag and the bag got tested.. sorry not sure what for but I imagine it's a bit like a rapid that will look for actual bacteria or maybe toxins produced by h pylori. It may be a better test (I'm guessing here) for those who don't mount a good antibody response....

bismuth gel 1 tsp (I can't find this)

Bismuth is the main ingredient in Pepto Bismol. That's what Inernist I used to work for recommended for positive H.Pylori along with the usual 2 antibiotic cocktail. Just FYI- Bismuth causes stools to turn ark green to black. They are not bleeding- it's color change from the bismuth.

One of Ds's docs ran a blood test through Quest. It popped right up with a positive response.

Simple blood test- most any lab can do it. Get positive or negative result. We used to do rapid tests in the Internist office. Had a kit just like a pregnancy test.Drew a tube of blood, spun off the serum and placed in rapid test kit. Get positive or negative within no time.

Thanks everyone. I'm beginning to think this may be a culprit to my daughter's severe nausea and constant stomach pain. She is also dealing with a severe fear of vomiting, esp in front of people, which keeps her from leaving the house (except when forced/bribed).

I did a stool test for h.pylori back on Dec 1st that was negative. The GI wants to do an endoscopy and colonopscy. I can't see how she would be able to handle the prep for the colonopscy. I'm suprised a blood test wasn't ordered to at least rule this out first??

I'm arranging a home blood draw for the end of next week - I'll have them add it on to her other labs.

also- my dd is having some black/tar colored stools (not always)- and smelly when it happens. So, I just read it can happen when taking iron supplements, which we just added in every other day. But I remember these dark stools taking place prior as well.

Edited by philamom