ACN Latitudes Forums

Melatonin and Dopamine

myrose

I am curious as to some confusion I am having. Alot of the meds that control tics seem to be the ones that lower or block dopamine.

If this is correct and one uses melatonin, it should aggravate smptoms right?

If I am understanding what I read quickly lastnight, melatolin increases dopamine??? And children with tics need a decrease?

Also I am EXTREMELY confused as well on this.....most kids with tics/tourettes need lower dopamine but higher seratonin levels (mood ect) But from what I understand you can only increase dopamine when you lower seratonin levels and vice versa????

I am confused!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can someone help me.

I am just curious to this because our first neurolgist suggested melatonin back when it all started and although it seemed to do wonders for her as far as mood and things....I wonder now if it had a negative effect on her tics.

We stopped using Melatonin a long time ago.

We are still doing well and I am still Thanking God everyday for everyone of these days.

Also sorry if this post is hard to understand and I am sure I mispelled alot of words! Not awake yet...SORRY

Tryptophan lowers dopamine levels and is good for mood, but can suppress the appetite. It is found naturally in turkey and milk (milk can also cause ticcing, as many kids with tics can't tolerate milk).

Some folks use GABA or inositol.

Cheri knows quite a bit about this, hopefully she'll chime in.

yes from my understanding, I think increasing melatonin decreases dopamine and increasing serotonin also decreases dopamine.

people with TOURETTE tics react to increased dopamine with more tics as a rule so therefore anything that decreases dopamine generally tends to also decrease tics...hence when increasing melatonin or serotonin to optimum levels, one often finds a damping of tics. However we have found that taking these to levels beyond what the individual needs can have opposite effect

I dont know enough about dopamine and other tic disorders to comment on that too much but I dont think all tic disorders are dopamine related.I do know that the tremors and shakes experienced by those with Parkinson's are related to too low dopamine levels and dopamine actually helps stabilize theirs.

so one needs to be careful here as dopamine levels may impact different tic/movement/neuromuscular disorders in different ways